Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ~*~ Apps Not Running In Background ~*~

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Default ~*~ Apps Not Running In Background ~*~
    im running 3.0 on an iphone 3g. i think that this may be a problem with backgrounder that i d/l from cydia. whenever i let my phone go to sleep (or lock it) i find that it completely exits the app and goes back to the springboard. its an annoyance for times like when you are waiting for a reply email or looking at a web page and you need to reload it every time your phone goes to sleep just bc you are using your phone for instructions on something you are doing at that moment.

is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

that sucks that this is only happening to me... i cant figure out why it does this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The point of Backgrounder is that it makes it so an app can CLOSE and still run in the BACKGROUND. If you had to keep the app open the whole time what would be the point? You can test it by going to SB Settings and clicking on the process toggle.. if your app is on the list it's running. I have IM+ running all the time and it works great.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ya its a backgrounder app like Poseidon said. Use it on something like Pandora and play music and watch it close. You still hear the music.

Thanks

What apps are giving you this problem?

Thanks

thats not my point.

what's happening, for instance, is that i open safari to read a page, i get busy and my phone goes to sleep. when i unlock my phone a minute later (or a couple of seconds later) it goes directly to the springboard. so then i need to open up safari again and wait for it to load the page all over again and find the place i was before. same with the mail.app. ill be reading an email and get busy with something else, my phone will go to sleep, and when i unlock my phone, it will be back at the springboard like the app was never open in the first place.

i thought this was an issue with backgrounder so i deleted it and it hasnt resolved the issue.

i forgot to add that i did use backgrounder a lot in the 2.x days all the time and it never gave me any fits. i used it with beejive, pandora, and slacker radio all the time with no problems at all

im thinking i might need to do a restore. ever since 3.0 my phone hasnt been running the same as 2.2.1. i like that it is a lot faster and has copy and paste, but i had copy and paste anyways. and not all of the JB apps are ready for 3.0 either.

ok. i just let my phone go to sleep while in the mail app. i checked in SBSettings that it was a running process, and still when it went to sleep, when i unlocked, it took me to the springboard once again.
    Last edited by kadinh; 2009-07-06 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

i think the only way to fix it is to do a fresh restore without the JB backup. grrrr. i looked at everything and that looks like the solution. i just hate adjusting all of the settings and JB apps again. maybe ill wait until 3.1 comes out.

7-10-09 update:

i went to cydia this morning and there was an update w/ the pandora controls and it seems that my phone is working normal again. i dont know if this is related in any way, i just thought i'd note it. thanks everybody for your input.
    Last edited by kadinh; 2009-07-10 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I think you are mistaken on "when" backgrounder is activated.
    When you are on safari and you let the phone go to sleep, backgrounder hasnt been activated. Its only activated when you close safari via holding the home button.
    If you want safari to run in background, you should "background" it when you think you'll be away for a while. I believe that when you reopen it, it will run in background even if it goes to sleep.
    As for mail, that should always be running in background natively.

Thanks

i know perfectly what im talking about. but thanks for your reply. if you read the 1st post of the thread, i think you'll get a better idea of what problem i had.