Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Icons reverting back to stock!?

Default Icons reverting back to stock!?
    OK so, i just had to do a restore. OK no biggie.

after i reinstalled all the normal apps and SSHed in to change the icons they changed fine... ok, awesome.

then i rebooted as we all know is a good thing to do once youve installed a bunch of stuff.

and now the icons have all reverted back to the stock icons!!!! after trying to figure out what happened and redoing things, i decided oh well, F it, and restored the phone again.

now after just a couple apps installed (maybe has to do with powertool) the icons reverted back AGAIN!

has this happened to anyone else yet?

this is the first time this has happened. and i havnt done anything differently as far as i know. its 3.0 jailbreak using pwnage tool by the way

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME YOU KNOW WHATS WRONG

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

It's happened to many, some apps are not working for 3.0 if that's what your using, make sure you do you homework before you install something.
    Would need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    It's happened to many, some apps are not working for 3.0 if that's what your using, make sure you do you homework before you install something.
    Would need more info.
    i would understand that if this was my first 3.0 jailbreak but its about the 10th time. everyother time i have installed all the same apps from cydia, no crazy weird ones, theyre all the same from the previous times. its like maybe one of the apps' update from tonight? is breaking it. its so weird! im not doing anything different from before. im so confused... the only thing i may be doing differently is the order in which the apps are installed.... but i cant remember exactly which order i install these things... and its only a couple apps, its not like im installing a sh*t ton of them....

Thanks

I guess I would agree, has to one of the apps your installing. Perhaps try installing 1 at a time then reboot and see if it occurs. Has to be a logical way to find out what and why. Sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck.

ok so i figured it out.

now for whatever reason, when i change my icons or layout of the apps in the springboard, i must manually turn off my iphone and turn it back on the normal way. for the settings to "save" im guessing... if i dont, and if i just do a hard reboot, hold the sleep/wake and home buttons and reboot that way the settings and icons will revert back.

the weird thing is that i wont be able to change them again unless i restore the iphone...?

this is getting ridiculous. its never done this before.

Thanks

Stupid question, but are you applying icon changes in WinterBoard?
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    Stupid question, but are you applying icon changes in WinterBoard?
    no, manually by SSHing them in

Thanks

Seems to me that you still have a problem, just a quick fix. Not sure what it is. If it were me I would keep on re-doing the process. This kind of stuff drives me nuts. Good luck and keep us up to date

Thanks

Wow. Not a good way to do it. Try using WinterBoard.

Wow. Not a good way to do it. Try using WinterBoard.
    winterboard doesnt have my icons i use. if there was a way i can make my own package to make it work through winterboard i would, is there a way to do that?

it turns out that, if i force it to reboot (holding both buttons) before i turn it off and back on the right way at least twice, the settings/icons get lost. its like the ihone isnt writing/saving my changes into memory until i turn it off and on by sliding to turn off.

at least thats what i have come up with, its not a certain app because i didnt have any installed the last time it happened.

anyway, with that said, because of this issue, i am in the process of creating my own IPSW. it will be complete with the apps i use most frequently and the modified icons already there from the beginning. so when i slide my phone open after a clean restore it will already look exactly how i want it

if anyones interested ill keep you posted on my progress.
    Last edited by poprocks; 2009-07-01 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poprocks View Post
    winterboard doesnt have my icons i use. if there was a way i can make my own package to make it work through winterboard i would, is there a way to do that?

it turns out that, if i force it to reboot (holding both buttons) before i turn it off and back on the right way at least twice, the settings/icons get lost. its like the ihone isnt writing/saving my changes into memory until i turn it off and on by sliding to turn off.

at least thats what i have come up with, its not a certain app because i didnt have any installed the last time it happened.

anyway, with that said, because of this issue, i am in the process of creating my own IPSW. it will be complete with the apps i use most frequently and the modified icons already there from the beginning. so when i slide my phone open after a clean restore it will already look exactly how i want it

if anyones interested ill keep you posted on my progress.
    I'm not sure if i understand what you mean by that winterboard doesn't have your icons. you can easily make a theme to apply via winterboard. for icons:
    /var/stash/Theme.xxx/Name_of_your_theme/Folders/App_Name.app/icon.png

You just have to make a folder for every app you want the icon replaced. I know that before you can just make a folder inside the theme folder called icons and name the .pngs with the app name, but not sure if that still works. I do it the more time consuming way

Thanks

WinterBoard themes are located: / > System > Library > Themes.

Here's what I've done with my theme so far: Scoops WinterBoard.zip

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

WinterBoard themes are located: / > System > Library > Themes.

Here's what I've done with my theme so far: Scoops WinterBoard.zip
    are you sure? there's no such folder called Themes in /System/Library for my phone. As far as I know, WinterBoard themes have always been located in /var/stash/Theme.xxx where the xxx is different between every phone and will also change every time you do a restore

Thanks

Nope, WinterBoard themes are found in the Library. Have you installed WinterBoard? Otherwise, just create the folder. Anytime you download a theme for WinterBoard through Cydia or Icy, it is saved to / > System > Library > Themes.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with WInterBoard, but it applies custom icons, settings, sounds, etc, without modifying the default system files. I was also thinking that maybe an issue you have with manually changing icons in the system folder is permissions. It's the same for Mac OS. If you change system icons, permissions have to b repaired.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nope, WinterBoard themes are found in the Library. Have you installed WinterBoard? Otherwise, just create the folder. Anytime you download a theme for WinterBoard through Cydia or Icy, it is saved to / > System > Library > Themes.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with WInterBoard, but it applies custom icons, settings, sounds, etc, without modifying the default system files. I was also thinking that maybe an issue you have with manually changing icons in the system folder is permissions. It's the same for Mac OS. If you change system icons, permissions have to b repaired.
    i am VERY familiar with winterboard and have used it since it came out. i have never ever used /system/library/themes and none of the themes i've downloaded from cydia has ever been put into that nonexisting folder on my phone. it has ALWAYS been in /var/stash/themes.xxx

i have several items in winterboard right now and many of them checked and working perfectly

i'm certainly not saying your wrong. i'm just saying that this is how i've always done it for my phone, my bf's phone, my sister's phone and her fiance's phone

Thanks

Ok. Sorry. No offense. I've just never heard of anyone replacing original icons or of WinterBoard themes being elsewhere.

Quote form saurik's website:

"A theme is a folder that sits in /Library/Themes..."

iPhone Theming on WinterBoard - Jay Freeman (saurik)
    Last edited by Scoops98; 2009-07-01 at 11:38 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ok. Sorry. No offense. I've just never heard of anyone replacing original icons or of WinterBoard themes being elsewhere.

Quote form saurik's website:

"A theme is a folder that sits in /Library/Themes..."

iPhone Theming on WinterBoard - Jay Freeman (saurik)
    Weird. No apologize necessary for sure. I can't remember where I read it but have always been directed to the stash location

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    I'm not sure if i understand what you mean by that winterboard doesn't have your icons. you can easily make a theme to apply via winterboard. for icons:
    /var/stash/Theme.xxx/Name_of_your_theme/Folders/App_Name.app/icon.png

You just have to make a folder for every app you want the icon replaced. I know that before you can just make a folder inside the theme folder called icons and name the .pngs with the app name, but not sure if that still works. I do it the more time consuming way
    so when im making my own theme, the Folders folder has to be named "Folders"?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

yes. that's how i make mine. /var/stash/Themes.xxx/Theme_Name/Folders/MobilePhone.app/icon.png

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

poprocks (2009-07-02)

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    yes. that's how i make mine. /var/stash/Themes.xxx/Theme_Name/Folders/MobilePhone.app/icon.png
    yep thats what i did for MakeItMine and PowerTool, for whatever reason those two wouldnt change when i did the rest of them this way: "Theme_Name>Icons>appname.png"

very simple, i did not know that, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast