Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone with battery issues READ HERE!!!!!

Default Anyone with battery issues READ HERE!!!!!
    I have had non stop issues with battery life after upgrading to the 3.0 software. 2.2 was great and never had any issues. Since 3.0 my battery life would drain so fast it was really bad and using the phone as normal was just not happening. After 5 restores even using no backups and restoring as a new phone didnt work. Well I have finally solved my battery problem and you can too!

I started with a full charge at 630pm and now at 1230am I am still at 85% with wifi on, fetch hourly, brightness 70%, location services on, checking rss feeds, downloaded two apps from app store, used google and watched youtube. And plenty of texts. Pretty solid if you ask me. So here is what I did.

1. Go to Settings app on the iPhone > General > Scroll down to "Reset" and the select the top option to "Reset All Settings" This will reset the settings and reboot.

2. Now go into your iTunes folder - Home > Library > iTunes > iPhone Software Updates. and delete the 3.0 Firm Ware from the list.

3. Now plug your phone and connect to iTunes. Click restore and download a FRESH copy of the 3.0FW.

4. Once downloaded DO NOT restore from a back up. Set up as a new phone an once the restore is complete, manually add your data by syncing. Again do not use a back up during this process. Just act like you are starting from scratch. (contacts, music, etc.)

Please let me know how this works for you. I was about to return my 3G for a refurb because the battery life was absolutely horrible. But this works i swear!!! :-) Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happypappy For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02), ss1gohan13 (2009-07-02)

i just gave it a shot. Ill give ya an update tomorrow after i beat the piss outta this thing tomorrow

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ss1gohan13 For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02)

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

i gave it a shot as well, we'll see what happens, i'm hoping this cures my issues with the stupid icons swapping around!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PSYC0TIC ONE For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02)

do you have to click restore or can you follow this and then shift+click and restore that way? Im sure thats the way I had to do it when I upgraded to 3.0 in the first place (based on the guide/recommendations here)

Ive had multiple problems with my phone since upgrading to 3.0 and when researching a few of the pieces of advice say set up as a new phone instead of restoring from a back up

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tikigod19 For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02)

Alright here's an update guys. ( And this update is via iPhone too!) I've done the restore and had the phone charge overnight from the USB port on my laptop. So I know it was at 100%. The entire day I've been listening to music on it (excluding when I went on my lunch break and chit chat), gone on faceboom a few time and sent a couple of msgs, played the moron test, surfed the web (remember I've been listening to music at the same time I've been doing this). Also to add in that I've had fetch on my gmail account set to hourly and push is turned on. I just broke 7 hrs of usage and have about 25% battery left. Honestly in my opinion that's pretty damn good. Let me hear your guys opinion on my battery.

P.S. I went on a text binge. Talked to 3 people at the same time (again while listening to music)

Sorry for reposting right away but I needed to clear something up. I just hit 20% battery after 8 hrs 34 min!!!! Wooo!
    Last edited by ss1gohan13; 2009-07-02 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ss1gohan13 For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happypappy View Post
    1. Go to Settings app on the iPhone > General > Scroll down to "Reset" and the select the top option to "Reset All Settings" This will reset the settings and reboot.

2. Now go into your iTunes folder - Home > Library > iTunes > iPhone Software Updates. and delete the 3.0 Firm Ware from the list.

3. Now plug your phone and connect to iTunes. Click restore and download a FRESH copy of the 3.0FW.

4. Once downloaded DO NOT restore from a back up. Set up as a new phone an once the restore is complete, manually add your data by syncing. Again do not use a back up during this process. Just act like you are starting from scratch. (contacts, music, etc.)
    1. This won't do anything as you're restoring anyway
    2 and 3. No point downloading it again unless you want to waste some bandwith
    4. This is the only thing that might make a difference.

So, noobs, just skip the first 3 steps and click restore and set up as a new phone
    To live, you have to lie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02)

Thanks

Hey as I said in my other post my jb 3g 3.0 was fine and running good, I saw ur post and could not be botherd with restore and stuff. So I just reset all settings and now my phone is so responsive it's whizzing mate I swear. I notice a little less battery b4 but I'll see how this goes. Hopefully I'm 100%

Update 13 hr standby, 3 hr use. Mostly surfing with wifi, location off. Fetch hourly and I'm just under halfway battery

Oh and brightness just under half way.
    Last edited by se23; 2009-07-02 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to se23 For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02)

We actually may have found the problem! Woo hoo! Cheers everyone! And to u too happypappy! Dunno which part exactly worked but my battery has been a trooper ever since I followed your guide. If I can find the thank button on this site I'll click it for u!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ss1gohan13 For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jjr3211's Avatar
    Thanks

well i am trying this as well and will let you know how it works

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr3211 For This Useful Post:

modesto83 (2009-07-02)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Everyone is with battery problem. The one who is not facing it is the mute guy. However I am giving it a shot. Lets see what happens!
    no signature links....thanks

I thought the problem came from doing the 2G MMS and/or Volume mod. I uninstalled the Cydia MMS mod, uninstalled my network package, and manually SSH'd my stock .iccp files back onto my phone. I also undid the Volume mod.

I played Car Jack Streets for about 45min and my battery was @ 50%! Yikes! No improvement there... I will try step 1 to see if that works.

Does anyone know if jailbreaking has any effect on battery life? I don't run anything crazy just install:

Cydia (duh!)
    SBSettings
    AppBackup
    MXTube
    Cycorder
    Winterboard > very basic theme
    OpenSSH

I also like to set brightness to 75% and turn off push and fetch.

thanx for the help

tim

As long as you restore as a new phone, this WILL work. The biggest hassle however, is backing up all your data. Remember to copy your notes, phone numbers, photos, themes, and saved app data before doing so or you will lose everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by njr1489 View Post
    As long as you restore as a new phone, this WILL work. The biggest hassle however, is backing up all your data. Remember to copy your notes, phone numbers, photos, themes, and saved app data before doing so or you will lose everything.
    You set it up as a new phone, then install all the crap you did first time round....same battery problem.

Can I introduce you to the placebo effect?

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    I will try step 1 to see if that works.

tim
    You sound semi-intelligent compared to everyone else on this thread. Do you think that would make the slightest difference if your next step is to restore? Think about it for a second.
    Last edited by redcard; 2009-07-02 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    To live, you have to lie

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I evidently didn't do the 3.0 upgrade as I was 'sposed to, but I got it done. Then had battery probs. I tried to follow process above, but couldn't cuz I didn't have a "clean" 3.0. BUT - seems like just doing the reset was a big help. My battery has been behaving much better today, although maybe it could be better yet.

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    You set it up as a new phone, then install all the crap you did first time round....same battery problem.

Can I introduce you to the placebo effect?

You sound semi-intelligent compared to everyone else on this thread. Do you think that would make the slightest difference if your next step is to restore? Think about it for a second.
    Absolutely not! LOL! Just thought I'd try it as a first line of defense. Honestly I don't understand why restoring would do anything to the problem because I am running off a clean 3.0 restore (as a new phone) and jailbroken/unlocked using redsn0w.

Why would restoring my freshly restored phone do anything? The only thing I can come up with is that I screwed something up when doing the volume mod and/or the mms mod. I have also noticed that "deleting" a Cydia APP only deletes the icon and not the actual files/folders on the phone. AppBackup has to be manually deleted after an uninstall. Therefore, when I "uninstalled" the MMS mod off Cydia it might have left residual files on the phone and therefore my battery problem persists. Thus a fresh restore to 3.0 would benefit.

I do not want to do this however, and will attempt step 1 in hopes that an iPhone miracle will happen and my battery will be fixed.

here's hopin'

tim

PS: redcard: IDK if its just your writing style or what... but you come off as a pompous arrogant jerk when you write. Might want to soften up the posting there dude.
    --Don't want to start a "flame war" and I'm not trying to be a keyboard hero. I just thought I'd do you a solid and be completely honest with you. I do appreciate the help tho.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to klouud For This Useful Post:

hoeroLLa (2009-08-04)

Thanks

Redcard, r u saying I'm an idiot? I dnt post here for crap! Which is how I assume u up 1800 odd posts. It worked for me ok and is working very well even tho I just reset settings. Just u got so many posts dnt make u a god in these parts! Punk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    Redcard, r u saying I'm an idiot? I dnt post here for crap! Which is how I assume u up 1800 odd posts. It worked for me ok and is working very well even tho I just reset settings. Just u got so many posts dnt make u a god in these parts! Punk
    I'm as much as a God now as I was before my 1st post.

I'll let you in on a secret way to give your 3 year old PC an instant cost-free turbo-boost: Install a fresh copy of Windows XP, or even Windows 7. Don't tell anyone I told you that else I'll get the **** kicked out of by the men in black.

And I never said you were an idiot. I don't have to.
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Ok answer me this then " your royal pain in the a**" I update to 3.0 restore from backup battery is crap, I was charging 2 times a day, restore, set up as new battery much better. Then I jb & reset settings now I'm over a day with same amount of usage????? Well I'm calling u an idiot cos ur just gassing. I see wot ur saying about windows but ur still farting out ur mouth. I've never cussed on here b4 but net dummies like u p!55 me off with ur know it all crap. U should know not all iPhones behave the same and I have not 1 single problem with 3.0.