Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wanting to use a 3G iPhone but with my 2G SIM on EDGE only w/o ATT knowing?

Smile Wanting to use a 3G iPhone but with my 2G SIM on EDGE only w/o ATT knowing?
    Is there a way for me to switch iPhones w/o ATT knowing and still retain my cheaper albeit slower Edge data plan? As soon as I plug in my SIM into the 3G, my online account gets instantly updated stating that I'm using a 3G iPhone. I'm assuming that the 3G iPhone sends the IMEI number to ATT (indicating a hardware change) as soon as I plug in my SIM.

I am aware that I can disable the 3G under network settings and only use EDGE but ATT will still bill you for 3G data service regardless.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sadly, there's no way to pull it off. There should be (as I live in an area with no 3G.)

There is no way to change the IMEI number on the 3G, so they are going to know if you are using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Piazza331 View Post
    Sadly, there's no way to pull it off. There should be (as I live in an area with no 3G.)

There is no way to change the IMEI number on the 3G, so they are going to know if you are using it.
    But if i do this in a location where there is no 3G - will they change the rate plan.

Also what happens to the contract , does ATT automatically start a new 2 yr contract ?