Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Text messaging wierdness

Default Text messaging wierdness
    I'm using an unlocked 16GB iPhone in the Philippines. Our country code is +63, but is interchangable with 0 if you're here. So therefore, a cellphone number +632915xxxxxxx is the same as 0915xxxxxxx, and most phones (Nokia, Sony Ericsson, etc) recognize that and list them as just one number. However, with my iPhone, I saved the number 0915xxxxxxx, and then received a message from +63915xxxxxxx, and it listed it as two separate conversations. Why is that? Is this normal?

Thanks

Ya, that's why I enter all the numbers in in their entirety including the '+' symbol, that way it will be recognised. I live in Canada but am in Malaysia at present and its the same with numbers here. They all show up on my iPhone as the same number

Before 1.1.4, there was a fix called "Phone # to name fix" (for 1.1.1) that fixed this issue. If you are on 1.1.4, have you installed 1.1.4 AppSupport Patch? That's suppose to resolve Caller ID issues.

Anyway, the sure fire way is to have your number stored with the '+', country code, area code and phone number.

good luck,
    e
    Last edited by echo; 2008-03-13 at 12:15 PM.
    15.4" 2.8GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Pwnage Unlocked 16GB iPhone (2.1)
    Apple Unlocked 16GB 3G iPhone (2.2)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to echo For This Useful Post:

e_p_a_k (2008-03-13)

No, I don't have that yet. My iPhone is freshly jailbroken and unlocked, I've yet to install anything. Thanks for the info.

Thanks

I take it you have 1.1.4 firmware? Did you use ZiPhone to jailbreak, unlock, etc? if you did, you might want to install these patches...

- AppSupport patch (1.1.4) - iClarified Source
    - Region Patch (1.1.4) - iClarified source; gives you more locales in your for "unsupported countries"
    - ZiPhone iBrickr Fix - under unlocking tools (add 'i.unlock.no' in your Installer sources); allows iBrickr/iNdependence to recognise your iphone as Jailbroken
    - Volume boost (1.1.4) - iClarified Source.
    - kb2 (under Tweaks 1.1.1) - it gives you an option to enable or disable autocorrection in your Settings/General/keyboard. It works on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 although its in the 1.1.1 Tweaks section.

Of course you should have BSD Subsystem installed for these to work.

Enjoy,
    e
    Last edited by echo; 2008-03-13 at 12:40 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to echo For This Useful Post:

e_p_a_k (2008-03-14)

Quote Originally Posted by e_p_a_k View Post
    I'm using an unlocked 16GB iPhone in the Philippines. Our country code is +63, but is interchangable with 0 if you're here. So therefore, a cellphone number +632915xxxxxxx is the same as 0915xxxxxxx, and most phones (Nokia, Sony Ericsson, etc) recognize that and list them as just one number. However, with my iPhone, I saved the number 0915xxxxxxx, and then received a message from +63915xxxxxxx, and it listed it as two separate conversations. Why is that? Is this normal?
    Instead of manually re-writing all your contacts to include the + sign, all you have to do is add "http://installer.iclarified.com" to your installer sources (if you do not know how, let me know) and install the "Region Patch (1.1.4)" under the iClarified folder, it will make sure the phone recognizes both numbers under the same name.
    If I help you out, help me out by clicking the button

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheHK For This Useful Post:

dia_cer0 (2008-04-10), e_p_a_k (2008-03-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheHK View Post
    ... install the "Region Patch (1.1.4)" under the iClarified folder, it will make sure the phone recognizes both numbers under the same name.
    Hmmmm... I believe that Region Patch is to unlock locales for Region Format settings; mostly for date and time display formats and how it handles spacing of phone numbers. If you don't install Region Patch, you would only find a few countries listed in Settings/General/International/Region Format. After the installation of Region Patch, more countries will be listed. It has nothing to do with Caller ID or how it recognises number strings.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=725

To fix Caller ID issues (although epak is talking about SMS, but essentially the same thing), I believe you would have to install AppSupport Patch as it deals with "Dialer Crashing and Caller ID".

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=741

At least that's what they say on the iClarified site.

cheers,
    e
    Last edited by echo; 2008-03-13 at 09:00 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echo For This Useful Post:

e_p_a_k (2008-03-14), mallenass (2008-03-16)

@echo - thanks, i installed everything you recommended. and yes, i'm on 1.1.4, unlocked just yesterday with a freshly downloaded version of ZiPhone.

@TheHK and echo - i just installed both. no harm in doing that, i suppose?:P will keep you updated on the issue. thanks!

all good now, thanks!
    Last edited by e_p_a_k; 2008-03-14 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have a slightly different question that also involves text messaging weirdness.

almost everyone in my family has an iPhone. When I receive text messages from them, the text is split up into 2 or more parts.

Instead of receiving one text message that says "hey go to the store and buy some milk" I will instead get one text saying "hey go to the" a second text saying "store and get some" and a third saying "milk".

And this is with everyone that has an iPhone. My girlfriend has a nokia and she can write long texts without them being split and yet even the most simplest of texts will become 2 or 3 from an iphone.

Does anyone else have this problem?

how do you resolve it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobert_anderson View Post
    I have a slightly different question that also involves text messaging weirdness.

almost everyone in my family has an iPhone. When I receive text messages from them, the text is split up into 2 or more parts.

Instead of receiving one text message that says "hey go to the store and buy some milk" I will instead get one text saying "hey go to the" a second text saying "store and get some" and a third saying "milk".

And this is with everyone that has an iPhone. My girlfriend has a nokia and she can write long texts without them being split and yet even the most simplest of texts will become 2 or 3 from an iphone.

Does anyone else have this problem?

how do you resolve it?
    Hmmmm. I've not experienced this or heard of this. What firmware are you on? What is your original firmware and BL? Is your phone jailbroken and unlocked and if yes, by what method?

Usually, when SMS's are truncated, its because it is longer than the 160 characters (spaces count as well) allowed on a SMS, and is sent as 2 (or more) SMS's. However, I write long SMS's and receive long ones too (way more than 160 characters) and they all show up in one message bubble. Not truncated. Sorry I can't be of more help.

cheers,
    e

Quote Originally Posted by e_p_a_k View Post
    @echo - thanks, i installed everything you recommended. and yes, i'm on 1.1.4, unlocked just yesterday with a freshly downloaded version of ZiPhone.

@TheHK and echo - i just installed both. no harm in doing that, i suppose?:P will keep you updated on the issue. thanks!

all good now, thanks!
    Glad it worked !

echo- I do not know exactly how it works, but when I install the Region Patch (whether on 1.1.3 or 1.1.4) it always fixes the issue so I dunno but I'm glad it worked anyway

actually it still separates the 09/+639 into two separate conversations, but now it recognizes 0 as the same as +63, meaning i don't have to save two numbers anymore! yeah. previously, i'd have to save 0 because calls would come in with that prefix, and then another +63 because SMSs would come in with that prefix.

Hmm that's still a bit annoying, this is what I found from a filipino forum:
    This awesome guy have found the fix for AppSupport.
    Quote:
    ------------
    instructions
    ------------

- Create a directory named "Support" in the /System/Library/Frameworks/AppSupport.framework/ directory
    on your iPhone.
    - Copy the "AppSupport" and "AppSupport.original" files from the zip file to
    the /System/Library/Frameworks/AppSupport.framework/ directory on your iPhone.
    - Copy the "PhoneNumber.dylib" and "PhoneNumberTemplates.txt" files from the zip file to
    the /System/Library/Frameworks/AppSupport.framework/Support/ directory on your iPhone.
    - Optimize the "PhoneNumberTemplates.txt" file on your iPhone by moving all templates for your country
    to the top of the file and/or removing templates for countries that you don't need.
    - Reboot iPhone.

Download the package here:

http://users.skynet.be/ra045246/phon...ib_build_9.zip

Working on my 1.1.3 iPhone. CallerID for both Phone and SMS works.
    All credits to http://users.skynet.be/ra045246/

So if you are comfy with that stuff, go ahead, if not just keep searching the pinoy forums (philmug, or even hackint0sh), they are bound to come up with a solution soon

Quote Originally Posted by TheHK View Post
    Instead of manually re-writing all your contacts to include the + sign, all you have to do is add "http://installer.iclarified.com" to your installer sources (if you do not know how, let me know) and install the "Region Patch (1.1.4)" under the iClarified folder, it will make sure the phone recognizes both numbers under the same name.
    When you install the region patch and the appsupport patch, is there anything else you need to do to make the caller id/dialer crash fix work (mine: 1.1.4 otb unlocked with iplus2.0b) in Spain? Is there another step after you install those patches via installer, such as moddifying a template, etc, or do you just install it and you're good to go? I just want the caller id and dialer to work properly.
    Last edited by dia_cer0; 2008-04-10 at 07:45 AM.

Just install it and you should be good to go, but as someone else said, you can also install "AppSupport Patch 1.1.4" also from the iClarified source .

Let me know how it goes