Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: E-Mail app always running?

Default E-Mail app always running?
    So every time i fire up SBSettings and look at my running processes i notice that Phone and Mail are always running in the background. naturally the phone app needs to run in the background, but i don't use the mail app all that often and it would be fantastic to free up some memory and battery life by not running it constantly!

anyone know how to shut off the run-in-background feature on the mail app?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Settings/ Mail,Contacts,Calenders/ Fetch New Data... turn it off

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xgus69 For This Useful Post:

Channan (2009-06-26)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xgus69 View Post
    Wow. I didn't know that. AWESOME! lol
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

@murtyjones

Can you tell me what happens, when you kill the email app in SBSettings.
    I have the same scenario and in my case it has to do with Intelliscreen.

You may also look at this thread. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ackground.html

regards

So I have this same problem. I disable push and set everything to manual so it is only fetched when I open the mail app. But after I reboot and go back into settings, it's set back to push! what the hell is making it do that? lol. I thought it was maybe tlert because i heard it kept the mail app running, but i uninstalled it and still have the same problem. Why would it set it back to push after a reboot? Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

It doesnt matter! End of story!

Yes it does! It frees up RAM, of which I need when using the more memory draining themes that I enjoy. Mail app running in the background typically means the difference between a crash, and everything running fine. When I kill the process I gain anywhere from about 4-10 Megs of RAM which makes a huge difference, but the process keeps starting back up and I'm trying to figure out why. If you don't have anything useful or constructive to add then don't say a damn thing. You're comment is a waist of space and absolutely no use BlackWolf.

Quote Originally Posted by thecritter View Post
    Yes it does! It frees up RAM, of which I need when using the more memory draining themes that I enjoy. Mail app running in the background typically means the difference between a crash, and everything running fine. When I kill the process I gain anywhere from about 4-10 Megs of RAM which makes a huge difference, but the process keeps starting back up and I'm trying to figure out why. If you don't have anything useful or constructive to add then don't say a damn thing. You're comment is a waist of space and absolutely no use BlackWolf.
    yeah, then go kill it and watch it restart ^^ have fun with that :-)

I'm trying to find out what causes it to restart the process. Why are you even talking? You obviously have no clue why the process continually starts up. So why are you even commenting? Please enlighten me...

Now, anyone else that actually has a useful response?
    Last edited by thecritter; 2009-11-24 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

dude mail and phone take up like 0.5ram

are you sure? because the second i kill the process through SBSettings, my RAM goes from around 16MB up to 25-30MB... If killing the process affected the RAM by like 1-5 i wouldnt give a damn, but it's a noticable difference...

Thanks

nope its safari that takes up so much ram

How would safari affect anything if I don't have it running? All cookies, etc cleared.

Thanks

Ok then nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by xgus69 View Post
    i know this is a old post but this dont change anything for me, i still see the mail app running in the background when checking it via SBSettings and "fetch new data" as always bin off for me and ive set all other settings to manual but i still keep finding the app running in the background.