Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: i have thoroughly had enough with 3.0 can I go back to 2.0 now?

Default i have thoroughly had enough with 3.0 can I go back to 2.0 now?
    Seriously, this is just the most awful experience ever. Just about ever single app i has crashes, nothing works the way it's should, but phone got so hot streaming i'm surprised that it didn't melt...

Winterboard mostly works, but not nearly as well as it did. I've got all these strange little bugs here and there that come up with cached screens from a week ago in the calendar...

The new "Crash recover" API is simply crap and annoying as all can be.

Beautiful 4 just looks like a few boxes as opposed to the full screen over lay with icons that it used to be.

The search feature is as useless as a cigarette for someone who doesn't smoke.

I have no doubt that over time everyone will update their stuff, and make things wonderful again, but hell, even before jailbreaking, the email app crashed when I was in landscape mode after I had written a lengthy email to someone, which btw didn't save so I lost the whole thing...

Push? Whoopie doo... if i instant messaged or any of my friends i.m'd it might be cool but i dont and they dont and getting all excited about Tap Tap 2 having Push capabilities is great and all...

but i don't play tap tap...

So I got some quick questions for my betters:

1. Where is the link that tells me how to downgrade? Not beta, not GM just plane jane officially released software.

2. If I do downgrade, what will that do to my apps? I have updated some of them, but otherwise 90% are still based off of 2.2

3. Same question with Cydia apps?

4. I just want to say that I am certain and without any doubt that these bugs and annoyances will eventually clear up, and that the devs will work their magic and make everything cake. But i've got way to much stuff on my plate right now to wait. Perhaps once 3.0 matures a little bit then I will be ready for it, but right now for me at least, it's a newborn baby that isn't ready to play soccer with the kids.

So if anyone can help, that would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks all!
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your apps are if course an issue, but I would think the MOST important issue is the baseband. Unless you're a contract carrier customer, yellowsn0w only works with the 2.2 baseband. I have not heard anything about ultrasn0w working on anything but 3.0.

My 2 1/2 cents
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-06-26 at 03:40 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Renblade's Avatar
    Thanks

I say you just stick it out, after all the same thing happened when 2.0 was released. And look how good that turned out eh?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Oh yea, I'm in a similar boat. As of right now, 3.0 + jailbreak + 2.2 apps = crappy iPhone experience. I get the feeling this 3.0 software was optimized for the 3gs' hardware, not the other 2 handsets that are now seen as out dated. Even playing songs on the iPod, it takes 2 to 3 times longer than it ever did on previous firmwares. F this noise.

I remember reading somewhere that the new baseband is not compatible with 2.2 (for the 3g, the 2g's baseband remains the same). I hope this information is incorrect; however, I get the feeling its true.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Your apps are if course an issue, but I would think the MOST important issue is the baseband. Unless you're a contract carrier customer, yellowsn0w only works with the 2.2 baseband. I have not heard anything about ultrasn0w working on anything but 3.0.

My 2 1/2 cents
    I remember reading the same thing some time back, however if memory serves that was only relevant if you were planning on unlocking. I am a contract customer with the Death Star Company, and because I am opening up a business here in about a week or two, the odds of me going anywhere else is no chance to none.

Your Two.Five cents are very valued thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Renblade View Post
    I say you just stick it out, after all the same thing happened when 2.0 was released. And look how good that turned out eh?
    Normally I would but as I said above I am starting a business here in a few weeks and I am kinda pressed for things to work without any headaches right now. Under normal conditions I would totally agree, but my life isn't exactly under what I have grown to accept as normal :-)

And your right, buy the time 2.2. whatever rolled out, these things where streamlined to the nines! I loved everything about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmasta View Post
    Oh yea, I'm in a similar boat. As of right now, 3.0 + jailbreak + 2.2 apps = crappy iPhone experience. I get the feeling this 3.0 software was optimized for the 3gs' hardware, not the other 2 handsets that are now seen as out dated. Even playing songs on the iPod, it takes 2 to 3 times longer than it ever did on previous firmwares. F this noise.

I remember reading somewhere that the new baseband is not compatible with 2.2 (for the 3g, the 2g's baseband remains the same). I hope this information is incorrect; however, I get the feeling its true.
    You know, I might be willing to agree with that statement. It's typical behaviour with companies; once the new shiny toy comes out they just slap on a new coat of paint to call it's predecessor new...

Of course that's hear say, and hard to prove either way, but I might be inclined to agree. Of course it might just be that like with any new system, i.e. XP to Vista, Vista to 7 that once you release it to the masses and things start working, it's nice to think that everyone is the same, but apps do work differently with different combination. Especially if your jailbroken... So it's just a matter of time to sort it all out.

In alot of cases it's more metaphysical then anything. It's simply something that I can't put my finger on but things just don't feel as good as they should. It's like the chakras of the iPhone are all out of allignment...

... and in other news, and group of Buddhist Monks got in their shipment of iPod touches today, a gift donated to them by Steve Jobs himself, when asked what they were going to do with the iPod touches they stated that they were planning on constructing a Beowulf cluster...

*****addendum*************

So I was sitting in the middle of a thunderstorm thinking of what to do with my phone and attempted to downgrade to 2. whatever the last was, i'm tired so don't mind me...

And Because whenever it rains I lose connection all together so no interenet which made doing something that should only take a half hour take 2...

Long story short, I didn't have the previous version of iTunes so of course downgrading didn't really work to well. Actually it didn't work at all, so I took my 3.0 restore file that I had from before, and restored my phone... This time however in the restore process, i chose not to restore from Backup...

I had remembered reading that this was causing a few problems in other phones during the jailbreak process, things like user background not working, or fontswap not working.

Things like my carrier logo, and blank icons and hidden icons remained intatact so I figured that included in that would be some other things making my phone not work as spectacularly as it should.

So I restored without backup, and have so far manuually done everything again. No AptBackup, which in all honesty has never done anything useful for me anyways, no modded carrier logo, no nothing. Just a clean slate.

So far... So far things do feel a little bit better... But I haven't done a whole lot yet, but right now, right this very minute that comment about the chakras of the iphone feeling a bit out of place are feeling a bit more in tune so to speak.

Thanks to all who replied!

I was also fed up with 3.0 cause of the battery draining and wifi no longer there that i decided to downgrade to 2.2.1. The wifi problem unfortunatly is still messed up but ultrasn0w does work with 2.2.1 as well. Atleast i got the battery fixed

iPhone? More like MyPhone i pimping's Avatar
    Thanks

ive had loads of hassel with 3.0 but its fixed now.i started again first i found 3.0 file in itunes and deleated it then hit restore so it downloaded a fresh 3.0 and instaled it then did the red and ultra thingis now it all works perfect skype wifi edge and five dock icons all work perfect cydia doesnt crash now ether

yeah, i'm a bit confused about a things that happen during the backup and restore process.

and the battery issue is an issue.

So far since last nite and having NOT restored, everything works great, including Beautiful4. What happened was when I first installed Beautiful4 the icons were just these tiny little things, now they are exactly as they should be.

I also found on Fontswaps Dev's site the overwrite via SSH method for changing fonts manually until she can get fontswap up and running again.

I am running into this odd bug with winterboard, and perhaps it's the theme, but every now and again the status bar disappears and then reappears after locking and unlocking. Don't really know why, but there it is.

Also, I am having trouble getting status bar weather running again as well.

Status Notifier works great as does lockscreen Calendar.

Backgrounder just updated, but it is in it's most basic form, which is fine, I think it works better that way.

Cydia doesn't crash, which is key, although I keep getting a hash mismatch error on certain things from ispazio, which is where i get my fonts.

otherwise, everything seems to be working well.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmasta View Post
    ...I remember reading somewhere that the new baseband is not compatible with 2.2 (for the 3g, the 2g's baseband remains the same). I hope this information is incorrect; however, I get the feeling its true.
    At least for me, this IS the primary issue with upgrading to 3.0. The inability to downgrad back to 2.2.

If you remember, the 3.0 process was to restore/upgrade to 3.0 using standard iTunes. THIS PROCESS updates your baseband -- for sure. Yellosn0w (in it's current version) only works on 2.2 baseband, and Ultrasn0w only works on 3.0 baseband. (Technically, the baseband is a different number --- but you get the drift ... the one installed with the standard Apple update on 2.2 or 3.0) So now that you're at 3.0 ... the baseband can not be downgraded. So how do non-contract customers work if they downgrade? Well -- I think they don't. 3.0 appears to be a one-way street for non-contract customers.

Now IF they make Ultrasn0w work with 2.2 ..... we're in business. But everything I've read (so far) states Ultrasn0w is ONLY 3.0 compatible.
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-06-26 at 06:33 PM.

does anyone know why the theme beautiful is no longer available through cydia