Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Not receiving calls after upgrading to FW 3.0 on iPhone 2G :(

Unhappy Not receiving calls after upgrading to FW 3.0 on iPhone 2G :(
    Hi all,

I'm VERYYYYY disappointed in Apple

Normally I NEVER update to a new FW right away when it comes out due to all sorts of "bugs" that are always present in any new iPhone OS update. Being 3.0 FW with ALL the gazillion new features that should've been there LONG AGO... I couldn't wait... and updated the very next day (Saturday) after the new PwnageTool became available.

Shame on me... for not following my principles

I updated to the 3.0 software on Saturday June 20th (in the am, around 4, when I got home from a friends party). I used PwnageTool on Mac OS X 10.5 to create my custom FW. Did everything as per normal like I've always been doing since FW 1.1.4.

After I was done creating my custom FW, I used iTunes 8.2 to restore my iPhone to FW 3.0. Everything went fine. I then started installing all the app's I normally have on my iPhone. I quickly noticed that some of the app's weren't ported to work on 3.0 yet (not a surprise since it's only been 3 to 4 days since the FW was launched). No biggy...

On Monday afternoon... around 3 pm EST, I came accross a friend of mine who apperently has been trying to call me for a while now. He'd be like: "Dude, I've been trying to reach you for a while now since early today". I was like: "Well, my phone is on, so I dunno what you on about". He's like: "But I can't reach you, your phone sounds like it's turned off". When I check, my phone is ON, and working, it seems. He tries calling me right there and then, and nothing happens. I take his phone, call myself, and NOTHING

Then I ask myself, who knows who else have been trying to call me without being able to reach me. Only odd thing I did notice before that, was that messages where arriving about 15 to 30 minutes after they were actually send to me (by looking at the time listed in the sms when it actually gets in). But I thought that that was just my Carrier with some delay for the past day, or two (has happened before).

First thing I thought was, to do a fresh restore, cause whatever app that wasn't properly ported to 3.0 yet, might've messed up my OS. So I did. I did a fresh restore. Phone worked fine again.. and I was able to call myself up. I then installed only the app's that are of most importance to me (Y!mess, FB, etc.). This was Monday.

Tuesday, same thing again... colleague of mine at work, sitting next to me, trying to bug me, telling me phone is OFF cause she trying to call, and nothing. I was I then started to uninstall my 3rd party app's (Cydia & App. Store app's) 1 by 1 to see if I could find out which app was messing up. After each uninstall I would reboot the phone to see if it worked. At one point, I uninstalled Y!mess, and I was able to call myself ONCE. Then it didn't work anymore.

I did find out something VERYYY interesting when fiddling around with my phone to see if I could fix it. Bare with me here:
    - If I call someone, anyone, and they get a missed call of mine, they WERE then able to all me back. My phone would ring, and I'd be able to pickup the call as per normal. (ONLY the 1st time you try to call me back THOU, 2nd call to my phone would NOT work)
    - If someone tries to call me without me calling them first, the call would not get to my phone. They would hear my phone not responding (sounding like it's turned off). I tried this a couple of times, and it was always accurate

So I go home, MAD (I actually threw my iphone to the ground at work when she told me the phone was not receiving calls. Luckily I have the Griffin Cover, and we have carpets on the floors, so nothing broke, ).

I went home, made a NEW custom FW. This time I upgraded my Bootloader to 4.6 (I always stayed on 3.9 since upgrading to FW 1.1.4) and I enabled the "baseband update" feature in PwnageTool. Once that was done, I restored AGAIN (3rd time already since upgrading to FW 3.0). This time I said, I wouldn't install ANY 3rd APP's on the phone. So I left my iPhone PLAIN PLAIN as it is when you restore it to "new". Only restored my Backup through iTuned to get my settings, pics, music, clips, contacts etc. No 3rd party app's installed (cause at this point I'm still thinking it's one of my app's messing up my OS).

Well, I did the last restore on Tuesday. Went to an all day company conference today (Wednesday 24th of June), and I was receiving calls as per normal (I guess, cause my phone rang quite allot of times while at the conference). But I noticed AGAIN that messages being send were arriving anywhere between 10min to 30min after they were send to me). Later that night, my gf chat's me and tell's me: "I'm trying to reach you on your phone, but it's turned OFF...

Now here I am, typing this LONG issue...

Has any of you guys expirienced this, or have heard of someone with the same issue after upgrading to FW 3.0 on an iPhone 2G???

I really really REALLY hope you guys can give me some LIGHT on this dilema. In the mean time, I'm stuck on my mom's old "motorola stone age phone" cause I can't receive any calls on my iPhone

P.S.: After the 2nd restore I tried to go BACK to FW 2.2.1, but it wouldn't let me. iTunes 8.2 wouldn't let me (I get an error 1600 if I'm not mistaken in Windows, and another error, can't recall precisely what, in the MAC OSX). And when I tried it with iTunes 8.0, it tells me that I need iTunes 8.2 to even sync my phone

I'll wait for my savior here on the ModMyi Forum...

Thanks

Did you try RedsnOw that is specifically for OS 3.0 or did you just use the old Pwnage Tool on your desktop?

I've got my 2G up & running on OS 3.0 by using the following...... iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Mac)

What I would do is forget what you've downloaded in the past for 2.x and start afresh using the above link and it's downloads. Worked for me.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You have to downgrade your iTunes to downgrade back to 2.2.1.

Well iGuy,

I download the new Pwnage Tool for 3.0 that was posted on ModMyi found on this link: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...eased-mac.html

I suppose it's suppose to work fine (like it always did in the past).

Do you think I should still give the Redsn0w a try?
    Don't want to mess around too much with software redu's to mess mess-up any hardware (if that's possible, like ZiPhone in the past).

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    You have to downgrade your iTunes to downgrade back to 2.2.1.
    CaptainChaos, I did downgrade my iTunes to 8.0, with no luck.
    Wouldn't recognize my phone, told me I had to upgrade to 8.2 to even sync my phone properly
    Last edited by Devilish4eveR; 2009-06-25 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You should talk to an iPhone expert. Can go where you buy from another think send a message to apples iPhone care center.

Yeah, have the same problem here too man on my 2G iphone..
    Maybe it's because I used to unlock option again the second time around

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've been having trouble too. I call someone, and there is silence. Someone calls me and when I answer it, there is nothing there.

I rebooted my phone and my calls were normal for a little while, then back to the same old problem. Two people today asked me if I was having trouble with dropped calls. I NEVER have dropped calls.

I used (as I always have) PwnageTool. I'm on T-Mobile.

Well guys... I'm HAPPY to say that it seems that my problem has been RESOLVED!!!

I did 2 things:

1.) I did what iGuy told me to do in this forum (Restore using Redsn0w, just to be sure my firmware is a-ok).

2.) MOST IMPORTANTLY, MANY thanks to user "Ecasheba" who also had the same issue and actually DISCOVERED what the problem was. It's a simple fix in your own settings. Here is the URL: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...iphone-2g.html

P.S.: I installed all my app's that I use, and phone is still working PERFECTLY.. WHOOO HOOOO
    Last edited by Devilish4eveR; 2009-06-26 at 09:53 AM.
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Thanks

Glad it's sorted for you buddy and you're in love with your iPhone again!!

Excellent post and fix from Ecasheba too, I'll try and remember that one in case anyone else comes across the same problem in future.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    Well iGuy,

I download the new Pwnage Tool for 3.0 that was posted on ModMyi found on this link: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...eased-mac.html

I suppose it's suppose to work fine (like it always did in the past).

Do you think I should still give the Redsn0w a try?
    Don't want to mess around too much with software redu's to mess mess-up any hardware (if that's possible, like ZiPhone in the past).

CaptainChaos, I did downgrade my iTunes to 8.0, with no luck.
    Wouldn't recognize my phone, told me I had to upgrade to 8.2 to even sync my phone properly
    Glad to see you have it working!
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2009-06-26 at 12:03 PM.

Info: iPhone 2G 3.0 jailbroken and unlocked with redsn0w (vista) AT&T

I'm having a similar problem, but my phone will not ring or vibrate when I get calls. The settings are on for sound, the mute is off, and all other sounds work - just not the ringer.

I can send and receive SMS and calls - just no ringing

So klouud, let me see if I understand what you're saying.

Your phone DOES vibrate but does NOT ring?
    Only time this happens to me, is when I SSH into my phone and put "custom" ringtones on it.

If I put a custom ringtone to someone, and I restore my phone and forget to put the custom ringtone again, then the phone would vibrate but NOT ring when the person is calling. Reason for that being that your phone will "remember" which ringtone you had for that specific person (after you've restored the backup made in iTunes after restoring your FW), and is going to look for the ringtone, but will not find it, and therefore will not ring. And when that happens, you are unable to pickup the phone call, it will "hang" your phone till the person "cancels" the call.

So to fix it I have to either choose a ringtone that comes standard on the iPhone (for that specific person), OR, SSH the custom ringtone back into my phone.

If you have the normal ringtone set for everyone and that ringtone happenes to be one you had download, or SSH'd into your phone, you'll have to either change the ringtone to a normal one that comes with the iPhone OS, or re-download or re-SSH the custom ringtone to your phone.

Let me know if that was the case, and if you resolved the issue.

So klouud, let me see if I understand what you're saying.

Your phone DOES vibrate but does NOT ring?
    Only time this happens to me, is when I SSH into my phone and put "custom" ringtones on it.

If I put a custom ringtone to someone, and I restore my phone and forget to put the custom ringtone again, then the phone would vibrate but NOT ring when the person is calling. Reason for that being that your phone will "remember" which ringtone you had for that specific person (after you've restored the backup made in iTunes after restoring your FW), and is going to look for the ringtone, but will not find it, and therefore will not ring. And when that happens, you are unable to pickup the phone call, it will "hang" your phone till the person "cancels" the call.

So to fix it I have to either choose a ringtone that comes standard on the iPhone (for that specific person), OR, SSH the custom ringtone back into my phone.

If you have the normal ringtone set for everyone and that ringtone happenes to be one you had download, or SSH'd into your phone, you'll have to either change the ringtone to a normal one that comes with the iPhone OS, or re-download or re-SSH the custom ringtone to your phone.

Let me know if that was the case, and if you resolved the issue.
    The phone does not vibrate or ring. Your explanation makes sense though... her phone was jailbroken before on 2.0.2 and she had custom ringtones out the butt to include ones installed thru Cydia.

Are you saying that the only way to work around the problem is to use a STOCK ringtone and thats it? Can she ever use custom ringtones again without restoring?

thanx

tim

First have your gf go into "settings --> sounds --> ringtone" and have her choose one of the standard ringtones that come with the iPhone OS.

Second, have her check all the ppl she knows had/have costume ringtones, and put them to the standard ringtone (one that comes with the phone). Once she's done that, the issue of "not ringing" should be fixed cause everyone is on the standard ringtone.

She can also try it out first, by just adding an new contact, doesn't matter if it already exists, just put it under a different name (which will have the standard ringtone by default), and calling her phone see if it rings & vibrates. If it rings/vibrate, you have identified the issue, and you can go from there...

In regards to "custom ringtones", once she's "fixed" the issue at hand, she can always go back to using custom ringtones, either by SSH'ing them to her phone, or downloading them from Cydia.

Do keep in mind that IF you restore your FW at any given point in time, you'll have to keep the "custom ringtones " in mind... whenever you restore the backup you created in iTunes... cause it will remember ALL your settings (including custom ringtones but will not restore your ringtones for you).
    Last edited by Devilish4eveR; 2009-06-30 at 06:55 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devilish4eveR For This Useful Post:

iGuy (2009-06-30), klouud (2009-06-30)

First have your gf go into "settings --> sounds --> ringtone" and have her choose one of the standard ringtones that come with the iPhone OS.

Second, have her check all the ppl she knows had/have costume ringtones, and put them to the standard ringtone (one that comes with the phone). Once she's done that, the issue of "not ringing" should be fixed cause everyone is on the standard ringtone.

She can also try it out first, by just adding an new contact, doesn't matter if it already exists, just put it under a different name (which will have the standard ringtone by default), and calling her phone see if it rings & vibrates. If it rings/vibrate, you have identified the issue, and you can go from there...

In regards to "custom ringtones", once she's "fixed" the issue at hand, she can always go back to using custom ringtones, either by SSH'ing them to her phone, or downloading them from Cydia.

Do keep in mind that IF you restore your FW at any given point in time, you'll have to keep the "custom ringtones " in mind... whenever you restore the backup you created in iTunes... cause it will remember ALL your settings (including custom ringtones but will not restore your ringtones for you).

You were spot on. She changed her custom ringtone settings to a default one and the ringer/vibration thingy works now.

Will she able to apply custom ringtones after a reboot?

thanx

tim

Thanks

Thanked you Devilish. Not because it helped me, but you've done exactly what this community is all about - someone who learns a little and passes a lot on.

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    You were spot on. She changed her custom ringtone settings to a default one and the ringer/vibration thingy works now.

thanx

tim

i know what your talking about this should fix it. let me ask you this if u used vwallpaper for ringtones and stuff that is ur problem go to CYDIA and uninstall SKREW COMMEN
    restart and you done u can make custom ringtones at audiko.net

hope this helps all my problems on my os are fixed now all i need is ClearCam

my problem was i can all sounds besides incoming call sounds and simple fix was i uninstalled vwallpaper and skrew commen from cydia and all is normal i installed custom ringtones
    Last edited by MAKAVE71; 2009-07-01 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post

thanx

tim

Yep,

Now that every is back to normal, she can do whatever she wants.
    She can either download ringtones from Cydia or SSH some others into her phone (using WinSCP for instance).

Just keep the "customer ringtone thingy" in mind when restoring to a new FW or restoring to a previous backup you had created in iTunes.

If you need anything else... just let me know...

ttfn...

Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
    Thanked you Devilish. Not because it helped me, but you've done exactly what this community is all about - someone who learns a little and passes a lot on.
    Thank you iGuy,

I do what I can to contribute to the community. This iPhone world is never ending... hehe
    Been through my fair share of "issue's" thus far with the 3.0 FW... waiting for the 3.1 FW to be released to fix some of these issues. Same as you and "Ecasheba" helped me out with my "not receiving calls" issue... I'll also help out others with their issue's whenever possible...

You guys take care...

ttfn...

I love my iPhone... will NOT change it to any other phone!!! ( Unless you bring me a 3G[S] )
    Last edited by Devilish4eveR; 2009-07-02 at 07:19 PM.

hi peeeps

just incase you still cant recieive calls try going to settings->mail,contacts,data. Underneath your account it should say Fetch New Data. If it does not touch it and turn Push to off. Also scroll to the bottom of the page and touch advanced. Make sure your account is also set to fetch here as well. Hope that helps!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Connerzy23 For This Useful Post:

adj0159 (2009-07-12)

Angry iPhone not working after 3.0 FW upgrade
    I had the same problem with phone not ringing after upgrading to 3.0 fw. Solution I found was to not use e-mail push option. After setting the iPhone to fetch mode (push disabled), phone works like before the upgrade. BTW, I found the solution on this forum but now can't find it to say thanks. So Thanks to ?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast