Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I Think I Bricked my iPhone

Default I Think I Bricked my iPhone
    I have a 2g iPhone, unlocked for use on TMO USA and Jailbroken.

On friday evening I was using the iphone and Safari kept crashing. I powered off and on, and received the screen showing the itunes logo and a USB cable. I couldn't connect it to a computer at that time, but powercycling it several times brought the phone back to life.

On Sunday I upgraded it to OS 3.0 with little problem. I again jailbroke it using redsn0w, and using cydia, reinstalled one of my favorite apps, Intelliscreen. During install there was an error message, but it seemed to work fine.

Tuesday night, springboard kept crashing - something related to intelliscreen, but before I could do anything, the behavior stopped, so I left it alone.

Today (Wednesday), I was playing a game when the little "thinking circle" came up in the middle of the screen and it froze, flashing between the game screen and a blank screen. I did a hard reset on it and when it restarted it gave me the itunes logo and USB cable screen again.

This has been were I've been for the last several hours. I've tried everything.

I've connected to itunes (it recognizes it and says it needs to restore) but after a long wait on the "preparing to restore" window, it comes back with error code 1603 or 1604.

I've put it in DFU mode and connected it to the computer, using itunes, same result.

I've used the pwnage tool to create an ipsw file and try to use that to restore, nothing.

I've tried to use redsn0w multiple times. the gui goes through all of the steps, but the iPhone hangs on the "Downloading Jailbreak Data" screen with the disk and green arrow.

I'm out of ideas and really frustrated. Is there no means to completely wipe the iPhone with a fresh FW install?

Thanks for your thoughts!

bump. Anyone?
    Last edited by jparnone81; 2009-06-25 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Sorry to hear your having all these problems. Seem to me that your going to have to start fresh, meaning DFU mode, restore and J/B again.
    Sounds like getting into DFU mode to do this is part of your problem. Here is a video that may help you out.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzyy4puapig&feature=related]YouTube - How to RESTORE iPhone / iPod Touch. FIX FREEZING AND ERRORS![/ame]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think I'm restoring to factory again tonight and then wait for Cydia to be fully functional with 3.0

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozzyman500 For This Useful Post:

jparnone81 (2009-06-27)

blkcadi:

Thank you for the suggestion...I've tried that a few times, no luck. I was actually trying it again as you suggested it.

Unlike some people (from what I've read), my computer has no problem recognizing the iPhone (i've tried both a mac and pc), the phone is just stuck in recovery mode. I've put the phone in DFU, and had the same result, same 1603 or 1604 error message.

I'm hoping that this will be one of those things without rhyme or reason where tyring again and again over a period of time will yield positive results and restore my phone.

Are the itunes error logs of any interest to anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Make sure you are starting a new, once in DFU, restore, not shift restore. Then follow inst. to the letter. Good Luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

jparnone81 (2009-06-27)

Still not working...

I put it in DFU mode, the computer recognizes it, says I must restore it, click okay, click restore, confirm the restore, and wait.

The iphone shows a white screen for a moment or two and then goes to the apple logo...where it stays. The computer never makes it past "preparing the iphone for restore" or whatever it usually says. Then I get the 1603/4 error code.

Ack. So theres nothing 3rd party that can be used to load firmware?

IT LIVES!!

First let me recount what I did (to be honest, I'm not really sure)...

This iphone has been plaguing my dreams, waking me up in the night, having me try things to fix it...it's been bad.

I've been reading about this 1603/1604 error code for the last couple of days...this morning I read someone say something about leaving their iphone (which happened to be stuck reboot loop) connected to the computer and it eventually was able to restore. Well mine wasn't in a reboot loop, just always booting to the restore screen. Regardless, I woke up at 5 am am this morning, plugged it into the computer, and left it alone.

Then around noon, I came back to the iphone and tried to do a restore...I don't know why, but I (from restore mode) option-clicked to choose the pwnage ipsw that I created during one of my desperate attempts to restore it.

Didn't work the first time. however, it did load the pineapple, followed by the apple WITH A PROGRESS BAR UNDERNEATH THAT WAS MOVING!! I was elated, even though I got an error code 9, and the itunes progress bar that never moved from "preparing iphone for restore."

Then I tried it again...same scenario...AND IT FREAKING WORKED! Thanks for being excited with me. :-)

Now for my dilemma...
    Do I restore it to the backup that's on the iphone (easy) or manually recreate all of my mail accounts, etc (pain in the butt). Fortunately my address book and calendar are synced with google, so that will be easy to restore.

This is a dilemma because I think I installed the wrong version of intelliscreen ( the OS 3.0 release wasn't out yet) and that has to be what did me in -- it was definitely what was crashing springboard in the beginning. That is probably part of the backup, right?

So what would you do...restore from my backup or start fresh?

Thanks

Always setup as a new phone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zwayne For This Useful Post:

jparnone81 (2009-06-27)

strange thing...under redsn0w, youtube and location did not work (location, like in Maps).

Using this pwnage ipsw, they both work fine...

I just set up as a new phone...all is good in the neighborhood. :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jparnone81 View Post
    strange thing...under redsn0w, youtube and location did not work (location, like in Maps).

Using this pwnage ipsw, they both work fine...

I just set up as a new phone...all is good in the neighborhood. :-)
    That is good to hear!....