Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disabling GPS radio

Default Disabling GPS radio
    Is there a way to disable the GPS radio and force the 3G to use cell tower triangulation for locating? Maybe a 3rd party app or something? I can't believe for the life of me that Apple would not allow that option. There are a LOT of times when triangulation is sufficient, like weather apps, phone book apps, restaurant guides, etc. It would really help with battery drain if you could only turn on GPS when specifically needed. The Android developers saw fit to include that option. I really don't understand why Apple by default requires GPS and triangulation to be either both on or both off. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

what about SBSettings/preferences. Not sure about it 100%, but then you can turn things off using the preferences

Dont believe you can....but I highly doubt unless your running a turn-by-turn app where the GPS is running constant....that it really has a sufficient drain on the battery.

Prolly the same really, cause cell tower triangulation is slightly slower than the GPS radio, which means your running the app slightly longer. Prolly evens out.