Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Theming in the future?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Theming in the future?
    Compare a stock iPhone now, to the original stock iPhone. Completely different. They have seen what jailbreaking can do, and they have tried to add features to encourage customers to no jailbreak. The people found a way to get 3rd party apps, they created the appstore. The people found a way to record video, they through in video function. The people found away to send and receive pictures, they through that in there. Realistically, they are trying to take away the need to jailbreak.

So do you see iPhone theming coming out any time in the future?

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,217 Times in 2,596 Posts

Apple works slowly - for several reasons. One is monetarily: They know they can hold off on key features knowing their consumers would be willing to buy brand new hardware just to get them. They also like their high customer satisfaction rating and the low rate of calls for support or bugs - this has earned them a high rating in consumer reports.

The reason for this is because they frankly didn't give us enough stuff to complain about and everything they gave us were practically and impeccably bug free. They held off MMS to ensure that it was flawless. They wanted to make sure video recorder was perfect with all the perks, from what i hear... it is.

The jailbreak community was just practically impatient and devised ways to do it themselves. Some ways worked out really well... but there was almost always SOME bug or issue - people can't call APPLE for that since it was a jailbroken app, so they post on forums such as this.

Will Apple allow theming? Most likely. Will it be as versitile as what we can accomplish now with winterboard? Highly unlikely. The most I see them doing is changing backgrounds and maybe some colors. I DOUBT they will allow icon theming with the vast amount of apps to make icons for or anything else that we can accomplish with CSS wallpapers or icon placements with iblank.
    #eli7e revived me

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I wish Apple would allow developers to submit different icons for their apps (the ones now being the default) and then letting us choose from different icons if the developers choose to make multiple ones. That would be a great way to theme I think.

Also, I'm seriously debating whether to jailbreak or not now. iPodPop and StatusNotifier are two things I really want on my phone, but iRealSMS is the only thing I really need. If Apple ever implemented their own quickreply, jailbreaking won't even be an option for me. The 3G S on 3.0 gives me pretty much everything I want. I don't need Processes or MemTool any more because of the RAM. I don't need Backgrounder because apps load so fast anyway, we have push now, and I don't listen to radio apps or anything anyway. I don't need Cycorder any more because the recorder in the Camera app on the 3G S is awesome! I still want to know when I have new IMs or emails and would like my iPod controls to pop up on double tap when music isn't playing instead of the whole iPod app. But I can do without those things. Having to exit an app to reply to a text is really the only thing I want so bad right now.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Agreed.

Except the statement "compare a stock iphone now to the original stock iphone, completely different"....Really?? Aside from a few more apps its basically unchanged. Im speaking in terms of the "looks" since that is your thread title.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

They released the original iPhone knowing that it was incomplete and that they could eventually push more features out through firmware/hardware upgrades. That is the beauty of the iPhone. Most phones stay the same way you originally got it when you unwrapped the plastic off of he box it was shipped in. The iPhone is constantly changing. Sure it may take them a while to give us more features, but I think it has more to do with having them polished upon release instead of having to deliver a bunch of bug fixes.

I doubt themeing will ever be as detailed as the jailbreak community's version.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Agreed.

Except the statement "compare a stock iphone now to the original stock iphone, completely different"....Really?? Aside from a few more apps its basically unchanged. Im speaking in terms of the "looks" since that is your thread title.
    I'm pretty sure he meant compare the iPhone 3G S and its features to the iPhone when it first came out, back when there were like 13 apps, and that's all you had unless you jailbroke. The iPhone on 1.whatever is nothing compared to the 3G S on 3.0.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.