Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone battery/overheating problem after 3.0 upgrade?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone battery/overheating problem after 3.0 upgrade?
    Hey all, I waited for Redsn0w and then restored, jailbroke, and unlocked my iPhone 2G yesterday. Since then, i've had a couple of problems that i've really never experienced before, and I wanted to see if anyone else was having similar problems.

First, I was doing the JB stuff yesterday, and my phone was fully charged throught the day. I went out in the afternoon and really didn't do much with the phone. I listened to my ipod a little and made some calls, but nothing major. At about 8pm I went to turn on my iphone and the battery was totally dead. Totally. This has never happened to me before. Now it's possible that I may have left the ipod on, but even with that, a full battery can play music for what, 10 hours or something. So a few hours of music wouldn't totally drain a full battery.

Second, when I got home, I plugged it in. It started charging. The problem is that it got SUPER hot after about 15 minutes. I've charged a battery from zero before, but I don't remember the phone getting that hot. So I removed the case to see if that was the problem. nope. I left it plugged in overnight like I normally do. I woke up this morning to a still-hot, fully charged phone.

This is a long way of asking if anyone is experiencing any battery issues with their 3.0 iPhone. I'll watch it closely today when I go out to see if there really is a problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i think its ur battery have u changed ur setting to lower the brightness on ur phone? i unlocked and jaibroke my phone with redSn0w but the only problem im getting is that im lossing service more often now

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

many people reporting the same problem. I believe it's a pwnage/jailbreak issue.
    Fix is to repeat the process and start over. Takes a couple times unfortunately with the pwnage.

ive had the same problem with my 3g running 3.0 it wasnt jailbroken before. i would listen to music on there for a few hrs and then the battery would lose about 1/3 its life in just a couple of hrs. From wht i could figure they designed the 3.0 software around the new 3gs, since it has a better battery life. they better come up with a fix for it

Thanks

I'm having the same problem with battery life. I'm trying to recall what I did 'cause I did mess it up a bit when I upgraded. I was waiting for JB but it didn't come out the first day, so I went ahead and upgraded 3.0 (my phone is 8gb 3G officially unlocked.) went to bed, didn't notice anything wrong. The next day Pwnage came out, so I JB'd it. I recall when it was restoring that the phone got kinda unusually warm, but I attributed that to having lots of files to restore (you know, like copying lots of files on your HDD's)

Now, I had google sync push for contacts and cal running before now, and it was no problem (cept for the data bills) but now (yesterday) it was like 50% from full charge after 3 hours. So now I'm searching for peop having the same probs, and it seems there are. The thing is the reports are so very different from person to person that I can't seem to get to the bottom of it. I'm going with push turned off today and will see what happens, but there's a discussion going at apple board: Apple - Support - Discussions - Original iPhone 3.0 upgrade - No ...

I haven't read all of the posts, but thought someone might find it useful.

BTW, some people seem to think it's to do with Spotlight indexing stuff, and I have to say that kinda makes sense too. We'll see

Ta!

Yeah I'm having the same issue on my 3g. I've been searching all day and I can't find anyhing relevant. Since I upgraded my battery life is terrible. I was on safari today and was literally watching my battery % go down every 3-5 mins.

I hope someone finds out what is wrong. I'm using the same settings as before so it shouldn't be a problem. It's either the software or jb program. Either way I've seen that restoring isn't fixing it.

Same issues. I was listening to music before going to sleep, had it charging, woke up the next morning and battery was so hot. I thought it was because I may have had the repeat option on, but when I checked, it wasn't. I have a 2g, jailbroken with redsn0w.

Could it be a redsnow issue?? Has anyone tried to re JB??

I really don't want to restore again.

Thanks

it couldn't be "redsnow issue" per se cause I used pwnage, but that's all symantics. I wanted report an update:

I turned off all the "PUSH" stuff, set everything to "FETCH -> Manual." This seems to help somewhat. Battery lasts longer than before, but still not up to par .. and that's not taking into account that I didn't have to have all these things turned off before!

I'm not ready to do give up and do a restore yet. I'm not mobile that much this week, so not much of a prob. We'll see what comes out of this. I think someone will figure something out soon, 'cause there's a lot of posts on the apple board.

I have jailbroke 2 phones using ultrasn0w today and both phones are overheting and the battery is going down real quick

Anyone try to restore??

If I restore as a new device will I lose all my Info ? Like. Contacts emails and such???
    Last edited by tellytel; 2009-06-24 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by tellytel View Post
    Anyone try to restore??

If I restore as a new device will I lose all my Info ? Like. Contacts emails and such???

Yes you will lose everything.
    Last edited by JayZhar; 2009-06-24 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It obviously has something to do with the PUSH feature from Apple.

It messes up your push email on the iphone, and overheats/cooks the whole damn device. Another note, when my push is on with 3.0, and I'm by some speakers or a PC monitor... they go wild and start dancing and buzzing.

There is something interfering with the GSM connection or something.

I hope they come up with a fix because I had ZERO issues with Push and email on 2.2.

Thanks

Here's an update:

I did as I posted earlier, but here's the weird thing and I'm not sure if it's supposed to work like this.

I have an exchange sync with google (contacts and cal) set up. have that on push. In the general "fetch new data" page, I have push turned off and set fetch to manual. It seems that this has no effect on the google sync 'cause I still have data pushed to my phone. I check on sbtoggles and I see my data ip almost all the time. I guess I'm saying don't rely on turning push off just at the main "fetch new data" page. Right now I have google sync set on "fetch" and set fetch interval to 15 minutes. seems to be working ok. data is not on all the time now.

With this setup, I *think* I'm back to where I was before 3.0 in terms of battery life.

About the heat issue, I only noticed that during the restore after I jb'd my phone. I thought it was 'cause I had lots of file to restore, so I kind'a had it sit in front of my a/c LOL

There's no issue with heat after that as far as I know.

One more thing, and this is from BigBoss. He said that with push and mms, if you have either set up, the traffic is generated from outside the phone, so you can't control your edge connection from your phone, i.e., even when you turn edge off in sbtoggles, it will still get turned on by these services.

just FYI.

Ta!

Default Rogue Profile?
    I had the same issue -- after 3.0 upgrade and JB on 2G iPhone, serious overheating and shortened battery life. Digging around I found a "Profile" (settings > general >profile) which I'd never seen before and certainly had never set. It was unsigned and labelled "benm.at" and had tmobile settings for mms. It looked like it had to do with tethering.

When I deleted it, it warned me I would have to redo my network settings, which I did for USA TMobile (no mms).

I rebooted and phone is now fine.

I have noticed this battery drain too. I am running a 3g, jailbroken, with modified carrier file on AT&T allowing tethering and MMS.

I have turned off push on my mail as well as in the notifications field under settings. This helped things quite a bit, but I am still draining the battery faster than I was with 2.1 jailbroken. At least now I am draining about 2% per hour instead of 10%.

So are you saying that 2% per hour of drain could be that MMS is configured? I was previously running swirly MMS, and didn't have this fast of drain.

-J

From what I've read, it may be that my phone was continually trying to access Apple/ATT servers for a data connection and was continually being refused. I think my being 2G/TMobile is quite different from your being 3G/ATT on these issues...

Push is def the culprit. There's a huge thread on the apple site about it. Even the 3gs is having these issues. I turned push off and rebooted and my battery is significantly better. Not 2.0 better though. P

2G-3.0FW-Unlocked
    uninstalled tap tap revolution, poofed app store, disabled push, set fetch to manual, uninstalled lock calender and mxtube (not saying that those two caused anything, just saw that mxtube process was running constantly and lock calender was too(as it should) )...rebooted and noticed improvement in batt heat and life. Just not as good as 2.X
    Last edited by secondgennt; 2009-06-28 at 01:47 AM.
    witty statement here...oh there it is.

Thanks

I don't know if this is just me, but I think I have a theory. Push is definitely one culprit, it seems it doesn't work like it used to in 2.2.1 which is what I had before. I'm using fetch at 15 min interval and it's fine. Another thing is spotlight. I think it tries to index things, so it takes up some processor time, as it should. The overheating just after the update might have been caused by that. For an unrelated issue, I restored my phone again, and this time I didn't restore all the music and podcasts and stuff all at once, kind of paced it out a little. Noticed that it didn't heat up so much, for whatever it's worth.

But to my theory. After 3.0 I turned on numeric battery and I think it fools me 'cause I keep seeing the number run down .. and down I turned if off, and used my phone as usual for a day or two. I think the battery lasts "almost" as long as it used to. Maybe ..

I mean I make calls, listen to music and podcasts, watch videos, use the net, etc. Not constantly, but a good deal. I got like half left at the end of the day. I'm satisfied with that.

Just my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast