Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone battery/overheating problem after 3.0 upgrade?

I also notice the over heating problem too
    I saw a thread were Bigboss posted that it should help to do a restore/rejailbreak and setup as new phone because
    Of some issue with already jailbroken phones
    I did just that and I was back to normal

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3.0 and Battery issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigz View Post
    Another note, when my push is on with 3.0, and I'm by some speakers or a PC monitor... they go wild and start dancing and buzzing.
    My computer screen go wild too, but nothing to do with PUSH cause is the same with it ON or OFF.

Quote Originally Posted by miatawnt2b View Post
    I have noticed this battery drain too. I am running a 3g, jailbroken, with modified carrier file on AT&T allowing tethering and MMS.
    -J
    Also tried to turn MMS off but no change.

the phone is drainning like 10% of the battery every 20 minutes....

Does anyone with a non jailbreaked (and unlocked) phone have the same issue?
    Last edited by necao; 2009-06-29 at 11:53 PM.

Today i did a a small test on my phone. I threw some music on there hit shuffle and repeat and let it run the entire day i was working today. Surprisingly enough to say it ran for a consistant 9 hrs and 6 min and still had 43% battery by the end of the day. To inform all I have a iPhone 3G that has been unlocked and jailbroke (i have a the tweak for the battery percentage on too :P). To add into this I was also using a couple of apps (Facebook, FML, Moron Test) and did some browsing on the net becuz I had some down time during my lunch break and wanted to see how much it was gonna drain. Anyway I just wanted to share with all. I do have push off and fetch set to manual and 3G turned off.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default luck you
    Quote Originally Posted by ss1gohan13 View Post
    Today i did a a small test on my phone. I threw some music on there hit shuffle and repeat and let it run the entire day i was working today. Surprisingly enough to say it ran for a consistant 9 hrs and 6 min and still had 43% battery by the end of the day. To inform all I have a iPhone 3G that has been unlocked and jailbroke (i have a the tweak for the battery percentage on too :P). To add into this I was also using a couple of apps (Facebook, FML, Moron Test) and did some browsing on the net becuz I had some down time during my lunch break and wanted to see how much it was gonna drain. Anyway I just wanted to share with all. I do have push off and fetch set to manual and 3G turned off.
    Luck You

Well I did some tests too, push OFF, bluetooth OFF, 3g OFF, edge OFF, wifi OFF, location OFF, no processes runing, turned off veency, did not used skype nor beejive (dah!) received and made some calls (not too much)and the battery went from 70% to 15% in 13 hours.

Thats improvement?

hummm!! dont think so..

Yup. Turning off Push for any Exchange accounts solved it for me. I was about to return the handset (32GB 3GS) when I stumbled upon the solution in another forum. Now I'm at 50% after about 8 hours of fairly heavy use, which is a DRASTIC improvement from before.

Must be a 3.0 bug.

Quote Originally Posted by necao View Post
    Luck You

Well I did some tests too, push OFF, bluetooth OFF, 3g OFF, edge OFF, wifi OFF, location OFF, no processes runing, turned off veency, did not used skype nor beejive (dah!) received and made some calls (not too much)and the battery went from 70% to 15% in 13 hours.

Thats improvement?

hummm!! dont think so..
    Again today I was listening to some music and what not. But I had to make a phone call. I was sitting at 72% and my phone call was less than a minute. Checked the battery and it dropped 3%! I'm sorry but WTF! Jobs might be visiting the hospital again when we meet face to face

MY SOLUTION:

Culprits: Backlight, Push, 3G

1) Disable Fetch new data in the Mail Settings
    2) Disable Push Notifications in settings (only if you have a push app installed, such as BeejiveIM, or else the menu option is not there)
    3) Install SBSettings, and keep an eye on running processes. Kill iPod, Mail, Safari when not in use. (You can also force quit an app by holding down the lock button until "Slide to Turn Off" appears, then hold the home button, and the app will force quit.
    4) Keep brightness left of center. Don't use a mirror protector that needs brightness to be cranked up.
    5) Always lock your phone before putting it in your pocket.
    6) Turn off WiFi and 3G when you are not using them (Using SBSettings). Edge is okay to keep on since it does not actually disable when turning off.

I hope this little tutorial helps. Simple steps preserve my battery quite a bit. I only drain about 1%-2%/hour on idle. Treat your iPhone like your baby, and not like your girlfriend! lulz

i had the same problem before..
    my solution: set it as new phone.
    though, it lost everything, but everything back to normal!

hey i just wanted to let you know, ive had the same problem. i restored and restored and restored, finally i think i figured out whats going on. its save me from having to recharge my battery every hour. it seems as though its the wifi draining it. try turning it off when you don't need it and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by necao View Post
    the phone is drainning like 10% of the battery every 20 minutes....

Does anyone with a non jailbreaked (and unlocked) phone have the same issue?
    i restored my iphone 3G back to factory default, and the battery hold up very well. so jailbreak_other apps must have some impact on how the firmware 3.0 operates.

I tried to jailbreak with Pwnage Tool 3.0 and this time select 746MB of memory to reserve for the OS. reinstall all the apps...

the battery does not drain few per point after testing the web, email (on wifi) for 2 hrs. application launches as fast as none jailbreak version.

I swear!!!!! it's always something. I was happy to finally upgrade to 3.0 and now I have to deal with this freaking heating issue......DAMN IT!!!!!! I really like 3.0 but this draining of battery and heat is driving me crazy.....I really don't know what to do at this point. WHY CAN'T APPLE COME OUT WITH A FIRMWARE THAT WORKS....2.2.1 was almost perfect except for poor wifi performance. I'm seriously P.O'ed......I really don't want to go back to 2.2.1. I turned pretty much everything off....3g, edge, push, fetch, location, wifi.....the only thing is left is for me to turn off the phone section as well..

how about this solution....keep the iphone off all the time....that should take care of the over heating issues.....way to go freaking APPLE.....WAY TO GO!!!!!
    Last edited by swifty7; 2009-08-29 at 10:13 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you don't have an iPhone Data plan, I am sure that's why your phone gets hot and the battery is draining like crazy. I know because I been through it. I know it sounds crazy but try it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12