Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: should i restore my JB phone before updating to 3.0?

Default should i restore my JB phone before updating to 3.0?
    i have jailbroken at least 12 iphones and all have asked me if they should restore to factory settings before updating to 3.0 to prevent apple from detecting that there phone is jailbroken and brick during the update. and i don't want to tell them yes if there is no need to. so any advice from anyone would be appreciated. graci

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I definitely would.

i would, always start clean. Also do not syn anything untill post jailbreak and unlock

thank you kindly, ill spread the word like swine flu

Thanks

Its best to always restore to a <b>new</b> iPhone if that makes sense, so never restore a jailbroken device to a backup. you lose around 500mb of data space on your iPhone, so if your going to upgrade, fully restore to whatever firmware you are currently on, and then upgrade to 3.0

I jailbroke my iphone with the QuickPwn tool and was told all I have to do is update to the 3.0 upgrade, nothing about restoring it back to standard before hand?

Wait, so I'm losing memory every time I restore my phone doing the following process? Take all Cydia packages out manually, sync my phone/backup, put in DFU mode, restore phone, set up as new phone, right click iPhone and click 'restore from backup - Dizzy iPhone'.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
    Wait, so I'm losing memory every time I restore my phone doing the following process? Take all Cydia packages out manually, sync my phone/backup, put in DFU mode, restore phone, set up as new phone, right click iPhone and click 'restore from backup - Dizzy iPhone'.

???
    no I'm pretty sure you are misunderstanding, You lose space because jailbreaking takes up space each time you jailbreak, but the jailbreak/restores constantly overwrite each other. Hope this helps