Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Save money! TextPlus instead of AT&T sms plan?

Default Save money! TextPlus instead of AT&T sms plan?
    So I want to get the new iphone but damn is it expensive. It will cost me around $97/month (thats including the 22% tax here in NY) with the cheapest voice and 1500 text messages. So I was thinking can I use TextPlus instead of getting AT&T's sms plan? And I'm sure a new app will be made like TextPlus but takes advantage of the new push notifications of 3.0.

So let me know, Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

My wife and I gave progams like that a quick run only to find out if someone were to text you it doesn't use your number. Instead someone sends their message to a 20 digit number. A bit inconvient. Other than that they def work.

Quote Originally Posted by djdraco View Post
    My wife and I gave progams like that a quick run only to find out if someone were to text you it doesn't use your number. Instead someone sends their message to a 20 digit number. A bit inconvient. Other than that they def work.
    huh? it was inconvient for the person texting you? whats the 20 digit number? (your number)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You can do email, it's a bit more complicated than text, but works well for me on my iPod. I just tested phone -> email, works fine (Moto SLVR L7 -> iPod via email). You can figure out the email suffixes here. The only downside is the character limit. My friends complain my texts get cut off because I send too much, it doesn't put it in another text like it does when you type long text messages. However, I think this beats paying for a text plan since you already have data on your iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by SDreamer View Post
    You can do email, it's a bit more complicated than text, but works well for me on my iPod. I just tested phone -> email, works fine (Moto SLVR L7 -> iPod via email). You can figure out the email suffixes here. The only downside is the character limit. My friends complain my texts get cut off because I send too much, it doesn't put it in another text like it does when you type long text messages. However, I think this beats paying for a text plan since you already have data on your iPhone.
    My only problem I can think of with this method and using an app such as TextPlus is whether or not someone can text me, or will I have to text them first for them to contact me?

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

na it was some weird number. had nothing to do with a phone number. she had it on hers and if i wanted to text i had to send it to that random ace number. and everytime i recieved a message it had something at the top of it taking up character space.
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

weird numbers aside, if you're looking to send out texts and don't want to pay, textplus is what you need.

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

I use AOL's free "Touch Text" program now and it does the trick well (and has PUSH). I personally got tired of Textplus, simply because it was just another email address, basically. Heck, you both could get Yahoo mail and do the same thing Textplus offers, too.