Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3B.S. question

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Default 3B.S. question
    OK, the new 3BS is "faster". Is it faster because the new 3.0 software threading technology or is it really FASTER? Apple has made no mention of any hardware upgrades other than the camera. All the things they are promising seem to be limited to the operating system for the most part.

Does anyone have a definitive answer if the processor is indeed faster on the 3B.S.?

I got a feeling once 3.0 hits all the phones Apple will go "well, it WAS faster than the 3g because the 3g only came with 2.0 FW, but now they are all similar".

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There has been no release statement of the processor "upgrade" so that is something I am waiting to see. They also said that there is no RAM upgrade either so I am slowly fading from the mood to upgrade right away.

I bet it does have a new revision of the processor and has better power consumption and battery and a 1MP better camera (still 3MP is shitty now a days). They also upgraded bluetooth but I agree, I have not seen a worthwhile hardware upgrade for this thing.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/i...e-of-the-tape/

Thanks

The "S" stands for something and it ain't speed. They wanted to keep the same phone and sell them all over again so they plugged a new camera in and gave the old 3g a software lock on certain features.

When it is all said and done the Devs will have broken this OS down to plugging in a new camera to create a "3BS"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The processor is still ARM technology but its speculated to actually be faster. Take into consideration the processor on the iPod Touch 2G is 532Mhz while the current iPhone models including the first gen iPhone and iPhone 3G run at 412Mhz. The current processor is capable of being clocked up to 620Mhz so it is unclear if that's all they did this time or if it's a whole new chip set. I'm sure ifixit will rip it open and answer all our questions.

Thanks

Ya, they didn't bump it, they just overclocked it I believe.

The Cortex A8 scales from 600Mhz to 1Ghz, or so I believe.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Haha what a scam.

I am waiting for the some hacker to find a way to put the new hardware such as the bluetooth, camera, and battery into the 3G and over clock the processor.

A RAM upgrade would be nice too

Thanks

Next year they will have a REAL release on new hardware and I'll be out of my 2 yr agreement and ready for the REAL upgrade.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I think they are doing the speed via software. The whole "better battery life on 2G, same battery life on 3G" is retarded. Has it ever been any different.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

3bs lmfao

if they did any hardware upgrades they would have mentioned it, I would think.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ya the fact they are keeping the process or quiet is intresting. i couldn't wait to upgrade but after finding out more and more about what apple did not include, i am really back to my original statement in January that i don't see a point to upgrade since there is no major hardware revisions.