Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Going to Cancun, Questions about iPhone

Default Going to Cancun, Questions about iPhone
    So I am going to cancun for 5 days and would like to bring my phone with me in case of an emergency and so that i can have my music with me as well.

I know that the rates for international calling are ridiculous so I dont plan on using the phone or edge at all which leads me to my two questions.

1) if I leave my phone in airplane mode the whole time, i know that i can only listen to music and thats pretty much it. as long as i leave it in airplane mode i wont be charged a penny for having my iphone with me internationally right?

2) if i use boss prefs to turn off edge is there a way to disable calling on the phone as well so that i could still use wifi and not have to worry about getting a phone call or transmitting any data over edge?

thanks for your help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feerlessleadr View Post
    1) if I leave my phone in airplane mode the whole time, i know that i can only listen to music and thats pretty much it. as long as i leave it in airplane mode i wont be charged a penny for having my iphone with me internationally right?
    Yes. Airplane mode means your phone AND wifi capabilities are turned off. You can only use your phone's iPod and whatever applications you have installed that does not require connecting to the web.

Quote Originally Posted by feerlessleadr View Post
    2) if i use boss prefs to turn off edge is there a way to disable calling on the phone as well so that i could still use wifi and not have to worry about getting a phone call or transmitting any data over edge?
    One sure thing you could do is to take out your SIM. Then you won't be able to connect to EDGE or make any phone calls without having to install apps to turn it off for you.

You might want to take it a step further... You could buy a local prepaid SIM with data access and that way you can use EDGE without paying roaming charges. Works only if your iPhone is unlocked.

cheers,
    e
    Last edited by echo; 2008-03-11 at 12:18 PM.
    15.4" 2.8GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Pwnage Unlocked 16GB iPhone (2.1)
    Apple Unlocked 16GB 3G iPhone (2.2)