Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Slingbox + XBox 360 + SlingPlayer for iPhone .... Boner

Thanks

Default Slingbox + XBox 360 + SlingPlayer for iPhone .... Boner
    There may be other ways to do this already etc. If so i am not aware and this whole post is new to me

Ok, the back story is:

I have a home network with about 1TB of movies + music + TV programmes. The network is great for streaming around the house in any room and can be accessed remotely if any episodes / movies need to be uploaded or downloaded.

With such a huge vault of media that i actually enjoy, i was looking for a way to stream it to my iPhone.

I looked it up and concluded that buying an Apple TV and hooking it up to a slingbox Pro would be the best way to do this. i went shopping today and could not find an Apple TV anywhere, and found the last slingbox pro.

I got home with my slingbox pro and was thinking of ways of hooking my macbook up to it as a short-term feed for the slingbox, but only had a MDP->HDMI adapter and that didnt work in the slingbox.

then i remembered the XBox with the RGB/RWY connector. Connecting the XBox up with the slingbox was easy to get a video feed. I eventually decided to choose the RWY as there was no need for the extra bandwith to try and support HD when the iPhones screen would look good with SD.

So i fired up my hackintosh desktop and started connect360 which gave the XBox access to all of my server files.

Now i had my slingplayer watching a live feed of my XBox display but with no way of controlling the XBox.

After looking through the setup options for the slingbox i found:

DVR> Microsoft> Media Centre

This worked a treat and gave me full control of the XBox via the slingboxes infared.

So at the end of the day, i saved myself 195 and have access to all of the media on my home server on my iPhone 3G using slingplayer via my XBox 360 using connect360 on the mac side.

The only downside to this is that the desktop computer must be online at all times.

Im sure most of you have XBox 360's and this will also work with the standard slingbox (the pro is not needed).

Please comment away with any tips or other solutions because so far google hasnt been very helpful and very conflicting with no definitive answers to anything. but my google skills might be lacking...

Reeko
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Why not just install orb on your computer and get the orb iPhone app? Works great and does on the fly converting.

Thanks

In iTunes it says:

" when network connected " for orb.

Are there ways round this?

Suck it up, Sucker

Orb is even better than sling, it lets your stream over 3g no hack needed (at least with 3.0 beta 5). It also can stream web cams, music and if you have a TV card, live tv!
    It rocks and works well!

"In iTunes it says:

" when network connected " for orb.

Are there ways round this?"

Not sure what that means. email orb they will help

Thanks

By network connected i thought they meant on the same closed network, but just trying it and it works over 3G and EDGE and has the slider to adjust quality (which sling could use?!)

The mac software has crashed each time but it is in beta and streaming stuff from my wireless server is probably to much for it right now.

Ive heard ravin things about Orb but for some reason thought it was for USA only? Never really looked into it

Suck it up, Sucker

Yeah with the pc client it works awesome. No having to transcode my videos any more! I'm trying to get wake on LAN working but my router is being a pain in the a**!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

That is awesome!

Nifty setup.

Dunno what the issue is with Orb, thats what ive been using works great.

Nifty setup.

Dunno what the issue is with Orb, thats what ive been using works great.

Thanks

Using the mac client it doesnt seem to like picking up my networked drive. It will pick up a folder within a network drive but playback on my iPhone seems to crash every so often and the quality isnt on par with the slingplayer over 3g.

it seems like a more simple option so im sure when the mac client gets updated it will be better, probably just a bug with networkded drives or something?

if i play CoD or something on my xbox it displays it on my iPhone ... im thinking about doing a fake video and sticking it on youtube titled "CoD 4 on the iPhone' and seeing who falls for it lol

Suck it up, Sucker