Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store future as iDevices get more powerful.

Default App Store future as iDevices get more powerful.
    At the moment, we have one app store, and all apps are available to iPod Touch, iPhone, iPhone 3G etc owners.

The new iPhone will, undoubtedly, be more powerful. We have rumours of a 600Mhz processor and doubling of system RAM.

Theoretically, this means that better, more complex games can be developed and played on the new iPhone, that will not run on the iPhone 3G.

How is Apple going to handle this? Sure you could say in the app description (IPHONE 4G ONLY!) but half the noobs wont read it and will end up with useless apps.

Will developers be forced to scale back apps so they still work on older devices? Or will the App Store detect what device you are running and only show you compatible apps?

(btw, I realise next iPhone will not be called iPhone 4G)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Interesting. I guess it's just a wait and see.
    We are all hoping that we will get all the new features with the release of 3.0. The 600 mhz processor if this is true is obviously something no firmware can overcome.
    I can't imagine that they would isolate the millions of us that have 3g phones and for that matter the 2g also.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

games would possibly have a compatibility fix built in, like a xbox360 playing xbox games but other way round so it will de scale the graphics and/or lower data processed on screen eg 10 baddies instead of 20 that kind of thing.

that or it will stop you downloading unless you have a V3 iphone or something.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.