Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: New to the forum. New to the iphone world. just got an iphone

  1. #1
    Default New to the forum. New to the iphone world. just got an iphone
    Okay, Hello everyone

    I just got the iphone 3G yesterday so i guess it has the latest firmware and everything.


    Now, i have a few qustions.

    1) I will being going to europe this july, so im assuming i need to unlock it so i can use it their, correct?
    If that is correct, what are the steps on unlocking the iphone. is this dumb proof?

    2) I will also want to jailbrake my iphone, now. can i only do one of the two? is it, i either unlock my phone or jailbrake? or can i do both?

    If i can do both, could someone kindly direct me to the best tutorial on unlocking and jailbreaking.

    Next, i hear about the new software or update for the iphone that people are using. when that officaly gets released, can i still get the update even if my iphone is jailbreak and unlocked?


    Thank you all in advance

    Much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator Zwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Independence, LA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks
    656
    Thanked 764 Times in 591 Posts

    What is the f/w, baseband and bootloader of your phone?

    Foe pc...http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881

    And for the mac...http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1558
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2009-05-11 at 06:53 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    What is the f/w, baseband and bootloader of your phone?
    Lol. What?


    How do i find this out? Somewhere in the settings i assume

  4. #4
    Retired Moderator Zwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Independence, LA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks
    656
    Thanked 764 Times in 591 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Xewkija View Post
    Lol. What?


    How do i find this out? Somewhere in the settings i assume
    settings> general> about> version & modem firmware

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    settings> general> about> version & modem firmware

    Version: 2.2.1 (5H11)
    Modem: 02.30.03

    Thank You

  6. #6
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Jailbreak with a program called Quickpwn located in our download section. You didn't take the time to fill out your profile so I don't know if you are on PC or Mac. Traveling to Europe does not mean you have to unlock your iPhone unless you want to use a European SIM card. If you just want to use your iPhone call your service provider and let them know you'll be over there. I'm going to Germany on Friday and with AT&T I will pay $5.99 for the international package and $0.99 per minute to use my phone plus $0.50 per outgoing text message. My phone does not have to be unlocked.

    As for the new firmware 3.0 coming out in June. Any time you upgrade from one firmware to another you lose your jailbreak and unlock. Wait until it's officially released for information about upgrading.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Jailbreak with a program called Quickpwn located in our download section. You didn't take the time to fill out your profile so I don't know if you are on PC or Mac. Traveling to Europe does not mean you have to unlock your iPhone unless you want to use a European SIM card. If you just want to use your iPhone call your service provider and let them know you'll be over there. I'm going to Germany on Friday and with AT&T I will pay $5.99 for the international package and $0.99 per minute to use my phone plus $0.50 per outgoing text message. My phone does not have to be unlocked.

    As for the new firmware 3.0 coming out in June. Any time you upgrade from one firmware to another you lose your jailbreak and unlock. Wait until it's officially released for information about upgrading.
    Hello, Well i am using a PC right now but i also do have a mac but that's at my other house. So if i jailbreak it right now, i can do whatever everyone else does, but when the new update comes out the jailbreak will be gone, but then you can jailbreak it again correct?

    So is it best if i jailbreak now or too wait for the update?

  8. #8
    Retired Moderator Zwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Independence, LA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks
    656
    Thanked 764 Times in 591 Posts

    2.30.03 can't be unlocked.

    You can j/b now and j/b the new f/w when it is released to the public.
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2009-05-11 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    2.30.03 can't be unlocked.
    But it can be jailbreak, rigght?


    So once i jailbreak it with quickpwn what else do i have to do? i heard something about cydi or something like that?

  10. #10
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Here is a starter guide I give to all my friends that get iPhones:

    Basic Rules for a jailbroken and/or unlocked iPhone.

    Do not upgrade your Firmware in iTunes without doing extensive research first. Doing so will most likely re-lock your phone if using on T-Mobile and erase all applications if on AT&T or T-Mobile. If iTunes tells you a new version is out and asks you to update, click cancel.

    YOU MUST BE ON Wi-Fi or 3G TO DOWNLOAD PROGRAMS.

    Open Cydia at least once every few days to refresh sources and install updates to programs. Applications are always getting re-written for upgrades and compatibility. You must be on Wi-Fi to do this.

    I recommend installing the following to customize your phone:

    Winterboard - Allows for custom icons, custom backgrounds, keyboards, themes, etc.

    Download Themes from Cydia (Themes Springboard, Keyboard, Batt, etc....) These themes will then show up in Winterboard after being downloaded. Just open Winterboard and select all the themes you want to show.

    *Categories (group apps into folders)

    *Cycorder – Video Camera App

    *Five icon dock – put a 5th app in your dock area

    *SB Settings – easily turn on/off your bluetooth, wifi, email – with additional features

    Go through all applications in Cydia and see what looks interesting. No harm in testing it out… if you don't like it just uninstall it (go to Cydia > Manage tab > Packages > click the program you want to remove)

  11. #11
    Retired Moderator Zwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Independence, LA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks
    656
    Thanked 764 Times in 591 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Xewkija View Post
    But it can be jailbreak, rigght?


    So once i jailbreak it with quickpwn what else do i have to do? i heard something about cydi or something like that?
    Yes it can be j/b now. And cydia will be installed during the j/b process.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Here is a starter guide I give to all my friends that get iPhones:

    Basic Rules for a jailbroken and/or unlocked iPhone.

    Do not upgrade your Firmware in iTunes without doing extensive research first. Doing so will most likely re-lock your phone if using on T-Mobile and erase all applications if on AT&T or T-Mobile. If iTunes tells you a new version is out and asks you to update, click cancel.
    I think i updated everything last night.... or maybe not? i dont know what i did, i made an itunes store account.


    also all the apps on cyida, are they all free?

  13. #13
    Retired Moderator Zwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Independence, LA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks
    656
    Thanked 764 Times in 591 Posts

    They are free, but they do have a section for some apps that are for sale.

  14. #14
    So basically im good to go? download quickpwn and follown any instructions that come with it?


    thank you

  15. #15
    Retired Moderator Zwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Independence, LA
    Posts
    5,633
    Thanks
    656
    Thanked 764 Times in 591 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Xewkija View Post
    So basically im good to go? download quickpwn and follown any instructions that come with it?


    thank you
    Yep....Good luck

  16. #16
    Okay everything seems good. do i run the installer now on the iphone or what?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •