Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT data plan for craigslist iPhone?

Default ATT data plan for craigslist iPhone?
    I have ATT and am attempting to purchase the 3g iPhone from Craigslist in a few days.

When I call ATT to add the $30 data plan, will I be bound to a two-year contract?

Can I opt to have the lower "Edge" plan on my 3g phone for while or even no-data plan?

Last question,

My friend had his iPhone (3g) stolen less than six months after he got it, what is the best course of action for him?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

No you are not bound to a contract unless you are activating a new line of service. No you cannot choose an Edge plan on a 3G capable device. You friend's best course of action is to buy a used phone off eBay or Craigslist.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

kashvii (2009-05-05)

To add a data plan you dont have to do a contract

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sk8r789456 For This Useful Post:

kashvii (2009-05-05)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    No you are not bound to a contract unless you are activating a new line of service. No you cannot choose an Edge plan on a 3G capable device. You friend's best course of action is to buy a used phone off eBay or Craigslist.

Correct. There is two contracts with a cell phone plan. The contract with the provider of service and the contract of the phone. If you do not add a line, you can change your plan to whatever you want. If you take advantage of contract pricing and buy a cheaper phone through ATT/Apple, then you have the phone contract you need to worry about. If you add a new line for your iPhone, you need to worry about the contract for the new line with ATT.

No. You don't have to have it. I bought my first iphone and activated it. 2 hours later called AT&T to remove the data plan. Don't need it and have never had it on all 3 of our iphones on the plan. Just pop in your sim and turn off internet with boss prefs and use wifi.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

It will not extend your contract. If you use a data plan it has to be the 3G data plan.

^ I thought if you turned off your data plan you would lose your visual voicemail.