Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need your advice: Do I need to unjailbreak my iPhone to replace it by Apple?

Default Need your advice: Do I need to unjailbreak my iPhone to replace it by Apple?
    Hello guys,

I've got an jailbroken iPhone 3G here, the comm board of which is broken (IMEI + ICCID: Unknown), and that needs to be replaced. I thought that I could just restore to a fresh FW and thus get rid of the jailbreak...but unfortunately iTunes doesn't let me to restore to any FW (Error 1012, for which according to my research there's no solution and it's due to the damaged Comm Board). Now, I'm afraid that because of the jailbreak I might have voided the warranty and can't demand a replacement.

Will Apple care about that?
    What would you suggest?

Thanks!

PS: I have no access to the springboard but can still SSH the phone though!
    Last edited by Numl0ck; 2009-05-02 at 06:01 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

I think they will but there's no harm in trying if you can't restore the phone anyways.

Thanks

you cant restore to a new phone either?

if you take this to a genius bar, you're probably gonna get rejected with a jailbroken phone. they're pretty anal about it and it does void your warranty, i'd find a way to restore.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I would ssh in and remove as much as you can of jailbreak related files. Or you could go in and delete as much system files as you can before the phone crashes and then because they can't restore they wont be able to do anything with. Just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    I think they will but there's no harm in trying if you can't restore the phone anyways.
    Anyone knows of a case where Appe refused to replace a device because of a previous jailbreak? They definitely can't restore it either with iTunes, as I tried everything and always get error 1012

Quote Originally Posted by eatjello View Post
    you cant restore to a new phone either?

if you take this to a genius bar, you're probably gonna get rejected with a jailbroken phone. they're pretty anal about it and it does void your warranty, i'd find a way to restore.
    How would they know if it's jailbroken or not? They have special tools for that?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I would ssh in and remove as much as you can of jailbreak related files. Or you could go in and delete as much system files as you can before the phone crashes and then because they can't restore they wont be able to do anything with. Just an idea
    That's a nice idea.
    Is there somewhere a documentation, what additional files the jailbreak adds to the system? As I said, I don't think they can restore the iPhone. They could only try to SSH it

Thanks

i mean, if your phone doesn't have cydia, and no themes, no nothing, or anything that even relates to a jailbreak and it looks legit. they're not gonna go as far as to ssh it and check the files.

Quote Originally Posted by eatjello View Post
    i mean, if your phone doesn't have cydia, and no themes, no nothing, or anything that even relates to a jailbreak and it looks legit. they're not gonna go as far as to ssh it and check the files.
    Well it has Cydia of course, but one can't access the springboard...should I SSH and delete cydia.app ?

Thanks

i would.
    if it's already farked. delete everything jailbreak related

Okay, thanks.
    I'll try that and will let you know...if it goes through.
    Last edited by Numl0ck; 2009-05-03 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Let us know. 

iPhone? More like MyPhone ElGriton's Avatar
    Come the Apocalypse I shall be Omnipresent
    Thanks

I had restored my phone before bringing it back but for some reason the restore didn't change the carrier logo back to AT&T so when he first saw it the dude behind the counter sad he couldn't do anything with a phone bought in the UK. Luckily I brought my receipt and they eventually replaced it. He did write down the IMEI number and go in back for 10 minutes but I guess they decided I was telling the truth.

If you're requesting icons PLEASE include the original and the correct spelling. It makes our job 10X easier. Thank you.
    If you we've helped you hit the thanks button. it makes us giggle.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as you make it look stock you wont have an issue
    iLive an iLife