Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Complete backup?

Default Complete backup?
    Assume I connect to my iPhone with OpenSSH or PureFTPd, and copy everything into a folder on my comp. If I mess up my iPhone later, would I be able to restore it with iTunes, and then copy that whole folder back onto the iPhone, restoring it to exactly how it was post-break?

If not, is there a way to make a backup like that, so that I could keep apps and such if I screw something up?

I have wondered this many times myself and have been doing it for a while now like that ..

But the thing is I was once told that it could mess with the persmissions ... and there for would mess thigns up ..

I have never had a problem I just make sure to delete before replaceing with my back up files and give them ALL the 0777 permission ..

hasnt given me a problem yet.

another thing that I was thinking about was that with this new Pwn thats coming out soon .. we will be able to make our own firmwares... in a sense Im assuming that you would then be able to do what we are talking about here .. by making your own "restore" firmware so to say.

but Other then that for the time being .. try not to copy over important files .. as far as apps and contacts and stuff like that .. Like i said I have been doing this for a while now and have no problems.

good luck