Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Moving from Windows Mobile, a Couple of Questions!

Default Moving from Windows Mobile, a Couple of Questions!
    Hi,

I am in the need of a little advice. I am preparing to buy the new Iphone when it comes out in the summer and having never used one much before I have a couple of questions. Hopefully someone whom has used Windows Mobile before may appreciate where I am coming from.

1. On my current Windows Mobile handset it is pretty straight forward to arrange tasks/reminders which I find invaluable. Even if I miss my reminder and go back to my phone a day later it still reminds me on the today screen that it is outstanding and I can delete/snooze/reschedule with one tap on the button.

After doing a little browsing through some forums I see that because the Iphone cannot multitask this is a big problem with setting tasks/reminders. Most people recomend using the Calendar function and setting up an appointment which can then act as a reminder. I had a quick play in the Apple Store the other day and this seemed to work ok, I set a reminder and it woke the phone up and on the sliding screen displayed the reminder. However when I pressed the slide button the reminder disappeared.
    It seems to me as soon as the sliding screen is used the message disappears and you would have to rememver there and then to reschedule if needed? Is this right?

What I wanted to know is if I am away from the Iphone when the reminder goes off will it still display it on the sliding screen later when I turn it on. Also would this also work if I had more than I reminder or in addition a call had been missed. Say for instance 2 missed calls and a 2 reminders before I switch on my Iphone what am I likely to see.

Any help would be appreaciated. Also are there any Jailbreak programs that improve the situation.

2. All my music is currently in MP3 format and I use Media Monkey to transfer music to my phone. When I start using Itunes can I just import my drive full of MP3's or will it want to convert them to AAC.

Also are there any other programs to get music on the Iphone or just Itunes only?

Many thanks,
    meddle

Thanks

As long as you dont unlock the slider, your message should still show on the screen when you return to your phone.

iTunes will want to convert all your MP3's to AAC . It will leave the MP3 also so you will have 2 versions on your computer.

As far as the calendar question, can't help you with that. On the day I have an appontment I set the iphone's alarm to the time I need to leave as my reminder.

Thanks

Itelliscreen will allow you to click the reminder and it then will bring up the calendar application. And, I don't convert any of my mp3's to aac. They are added to the iTunes library as .mp3's and work perfectly.

Hi thanks for the reply Simtech. I was hoping that my MP3's didn't need to be converted as I have more than 180GB of music. I remember my old Ipod would let me use MP3's despite it prefering AAC.

How much does Itelliscreen cost? This sounds like a good solution.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    As long as you dont unlock the slider, your message should still show on the screen when you return to your phone.

iTunes will want to convert all your MP3's to AAC . It will leave the MP3 also so you will have 2 versions on your computer.

As far as the calendar question, can't help you with that. On the day I have an appontment I set the iphone's alarm to the time I need to leave as my reminder.
    All my files are mp3, you don't have to convert them when asked and you can still sync with the iPhone.

iTunes will not sync wma files.

As for reminders... Im sure their is an application out there that will meet your needs perfectly. But the generic iPhone reminders are fine.

As an ex-Windows mobile devotee, I can understand what you want to happen. The iPhone in it's off the shelf form does not do tasks like WM does.

There are 2 main workarounds. Use the calendar (Not a good option as the task will not remain obvious after the calendar event passes) or use a 3rd party task manager application. If you have this application on your first homescreen it will have a red circle badge with the number of outstanding tasks in it as a more constant reminder until you mark the task complete. However currently these have a hard time sounding an alarm to notify you on the day in question, but this should all change when 3.0 is released and Push notifications are live.

Also as a WM user you are probably aware of Pocket Informant. They have an iphone app released, which in all honesty is still a little rough, but probably has lots of potential at being a combined diary and task manager, again with Push notifications it will be much improved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbulan View Post
    All my files are mp3, you don't have to convert them when asked and you can still sync with the iPhone.

iTunes will not sync wma files.

As for reminders... Im sure their is an application out there that will meet your needs perfectly. But the generic iPhone reminders are fine.

Interesting. It was a long time ago that I imported a bunch of MP3s and I remember being really annoyed about having to convert them. I thought it was because they would not sync to my then new iphone (almost 2 years ago), but perhaps there was another reason.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Interesting. It was a long time ago that I imported a bunch of MP3s and I remember being really annoyed about having to convert them. I thought it was because they would not sync to my then new iphone (almost 2 years ago), but perhaps there was another reason.
    Mine get converted too. Maybe it is a setting in iTunes that does this.

Thanks

Older version of iTunes maybe? I was running one of the 7.x versions back when this happened.

Thanks

I dunno??... but none of my mp3's convert. It ask to convert my wma files, but not mp3's.
    Maybe it's the "Let me organize my music files... bla bla bla" setting?