Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New laptop

Default New laptop
    Hello,

I currently own an iPhone 3G (16G) with firmware 2.1 and jailbraked with (i think pwnage).
    My old laptop ran iTunes 7 (or another version, at least not the latest one), but my laptop gave up on me. So I purchased a Macbook White (though it has yet to be delivered >.>) and I was wondering:

- will connecting the iphone to a newer itunes cause any problems (because i jailbraked it)
    - if i want to put songs on it (through itunes) on the new laptop, do i really have to erase my old songs and put new ones on it (from the new itunes on my soon-to-have macbook white)?
    - what happens with stuff like calender/contacts/ messages; etc....?
    - is their a way to backup everything of my iphone (settings, apps, messages, jailbraked things,...) to the mac?

I hope I was a little clear in asking my questions (as english isn't my primary language; and i'm not good at grammar) and my apologies if this isn't the right place to ask these questions.

Thanks in advance,
    Loxkun
    help me with my school survey ! ^_^
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/chit-ch...ml#post3767281

I don't think the version of iTunes matters with jailbroken iPhones, I have a range of firmwares all jailbroken and they work on a range of computers and os's with no problems.

In this situation I would have taken the hard drive out of the old laptop (normally there is a hatch underneath to get at them), and depending if it is a 1.8" or 2.5" hard drive I would buy the required enclosure off ebay that will hold the drive and let you connect it via usb to a computer - then you can recover your music and other data - Plus you will have a handy external hard drive for moving files about with
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loxkun View Post
    Hello,

I currently own an iPhone 3G (16G) with firmware 2.1 and jailbraked with (i think pwnage).
    My old laptop ran iTunes 7 (or another version, at least not the latest one), but my laptop gave up on me. So I purchased a Macbook White (though it has yet to be delivered >.>) and I was wondering:

- will connecting the iphone to a newer itunes cause any problems (because i jailbraked it)
    - if i want to put songs on it (through itunes) on the new laptop, do i really have to erase my old songs and put new ones on it (from the new itunes on my soon-to-have macbook white)?
    - what happens with stuff like calender/contacts/ messages; etc....?
    - is their a way to backup everything of my iphone (settings, apps, messages, jailbraked things,...) to the mac?

I hope I was a little clear in asking my questions (as english isn't my primary language; and i'm not good at grammar) and my apologies if this isn't the right place to ask these questions.

Thanks in advance,
    Loxkun
    1) No problems with jailbreak
    2) Yes
    3) I'm pretty sure you keep your contacts, although i'm not positive.
    4) search APPbackup and APTBackup in cydia
    5) You're english is excellent.

thanks, both of you! ^^
    @ robcoffee, yes i have noticed that the HDD could be removed, but how do you call those "enclosures", aka what should i search for at ebay :P

@ eatjello, those backup programs for cydia apps and stuff, how does it work? does it create something like a backup file on my computer? (I haven't downloaded it yet, so please forgive me if the app is actually very obvious )

thanks again ^^

You need to work out the size of your hard drive to get the right enclosure, if you are not sure google the product code which should be on the label of the drive. I buy plenty of enclosures because I pick up non working multimedia players off ebay, take the hard drives out and put them in enclosures for usb hard drives - plus as most of them are 20gb I get a hefty shot of free music and videos. Favourites for me are:-

USB 2.0 IDE 2.5 HDD HD HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE CASE on eBay, also Internal Laptop, Caddies, Enclosures, Drives Storage, Computers Networking (end time 02-May-09 10:39:38 BST)

External 1.8" Hard Drive Enclosure USB 2.0 - SKU1850 on eBay, also, Hard Drive Caddies Enclosures, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 01-May-09 20:58:32 BST)
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks

Send it back! worst laptop Ive ever owned!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    Send it back! worst laptop Ive ever owned!!!!
    wait, you mean the macbook white? why didn't you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Robcoffee View Post
    You need to work out the size of your hard drive to get the right enclosure, if you are not sure google the product code which should be on the label of the drive. I buy plenty of enclosures because I pick up non working multimedia players off ebay, take the hard drives out and put them in enclosures for usb hard drives - plus as most of them are 20gb I get a hefty shot of free music and videos. Favourites for me are:-

USB 2.0 IDE 2.5 HDD HD HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE CASE on eBay, also Internal Laptop, Caddies, Enclosures, Drives Storage, Computers Networking (end time 02-May-09 10:39:38 BST)

External 1.8" Hard Drive Enclosure USB 2.0 - SKU1850 on eBay, also, Hard Drive Caddies Enclosures, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 01-May-09 20:58:32 BST)
    thanks a lot ; I'll look into it when I have the time :P
    Last edited by Loxkun; 2009-04-27 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost