Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Genius Bar

Question Apple Genius Bar
    2 Questions

1.)Ok I have an iphone 3g running on 2.2 unlocked with yellowsn0w.
    The problem now is that my signal randomly dies on the phone and i have tons of dropped calls a day.
    I've completely restored the phone with no avail, so I'm assuming that its a hardware issue.
    I was just going to pop in my friends AT&T sim card and take into the genius bar to get exchanged.
    My question now though is: Will they exchange it for a phone to new to be unlocked yet?

2.)Pertaining to the signal loss.
    For no apparent reason my hone just started randomly falling out of signal.
    It seems to happen mostly at night time.
    Sometimes I have 5 full bars but the "E" wont be next to it so I cant text or call or recieve anything.
    It seem to jus randomly start doing this.
    I did read someplace though, that someone had a similiar problem, and another person asked if he categories installed.
    Could categories in anyway affect my signal??
    Does anyone know whats going on or have this problem??
    Last edited by franklinromeo; 2009-04-22 at 08:24 AM.
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

it is possible! what sucks is you wont know until its too late.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    it is possible! what sucks is you wont know until its too late.
    was that to the first or second question?
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

if they deem it is a hardware issue then they will swap it out for a new iPhone. you will have two problems with this though.

1. You will have to replicate the issues you are having more than likely. they will test your iPhone (so your friends sim better work in it, or not work in it i guess lol). if you cannot replicate the issue then there is a strong chance they will tell you sorry.

2. if they do replace it, the iPhone you get will more than likely already be upgraded to 2.2.1, and you know what that means as far as unlocking.

if the genius bar doesn't work out for you i recommend selling your iphone and buying another one that is slightly used but either unlocked or still on 2.2. just my thoughts, best of luck with you.

Thanks

The genius will more than likely try and pin it on the 2.2 firmware and say its a software issue and update you.

If this gets rid of the problem, you have a 2.2.1 iPhone that cannot be unlocked.

If this doesnt get rid of the problem, you will more than likely get a 2.2.1 replacement that cannot be unlocked.

I would restore to 2.2 or a custom 2.2.1, then try and install yellowsn0w again.

Back in the 2.1 days when call drops where a big issue across the board i got a replacement after explaining that calls where going straight to voicemail + not ringing etc etc. But it was actually an issue then. it's not really an issue now so unless you could replicate the problem in front of them i would try n fix it yourself.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    The genius will more than likely try and pin it on the 2.2 firmware and say its a software issue and update you.

If this gets rid of the problem, you have a 2.2.1 iPhone that cannot be unlocked.

If this doesnt get rid of the problem, you will more than likely get a 2.2.1 replacement that cannot be unlocked.

I would restore to 2.2 or a custom 2.2.1, then try and install yellowsn0w again.

Back in the 2.1 days when call drops where a big issue across the board i got a replacement after explaining that calls where going straight to voicemail + not ringing etc etc. But it was actually an issue then. it's not really an issue now so unless you could replicate the problem in front of them i would try n fix it yourself.
    +1 i forgot about building a custom ipsw using pwnagetool. you can upgrade to 2.2.1 that way and still preserve your baseband to allow it to be unlocked. this is the way i would go so if you take it in they won't immediately want to update it for you.