Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: im on firmware 1.1.1 should i upgrade to 1.1.3?

Default im on firmware 1.1.1 should i upgrade to 1.1.3?
    hi guys and gals,
    I have a us iphone and living in Ireland, i have firmware 1.1.1 and have all the mods in to allow correct number /id shown for caller and iphone vibrates every 15 secs if i miss a call or message, add to this plenty of apps like smbprefs, customize plus games like pool pong etc, I need to know will i still have most of these apps if i upgraded or would i be as well off to leave it as it is for now, i have no prob with the upgrade process, just need yer input on this one, thanks in advance

i have used all firmwares and have gone back to 111. you will still have all your apps but when you go above 111 you loose custom keyboard and dialer artwork editing.the only thing you get with 113 and 114 are squiggly buttons you can move around and custom shortcuts from safari. if you dont want custom artwork graphics you can upgrade but personally they can keep the squiggly buttons i would rather be able to use iphoneshop art editor and have my red keyboard, red dialer and my red core graphics.
    SkiHound ,,, Loves his Iphone,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skihound For This Useful Post:

philbee (2008-03-09)

Quote Originally Posted by skihound View Post
    i have used all firmwares and have gone back to 111. you will still have all your apps but when you go above 111 you loose custom keyboard and dialer artwork editing.the only thing you get with 113 and 114 are squiggly buttons you can move around and custom shortcuts from safari. if you dont want custom artwork graphics you can upgrade but personally they can keep the squiggly buttons i would rather be able to use iphoneshop art editor and have my red keyboard, red dialer and my red core graphics.
    You are right about the custom keyboard, but you can edit the dialer I did it and helped a few others with it also. As for the wiggely icon's I like it as it allows you to see the changes directly, others might not care about it that much. The good thing is that everybody can deceide to upgrade or not. If your happy with what you have, stay with it. Like the saying goes don't fix what ain't broken.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

philbee (2008-03-09)

Thanks

i am in england with a 1.1.1 OTB 3.9BL iphone bought from america. the upgrade process to 1.1.3 is extremely easy, and all of the packages on installer are constantly being upgraded to suit 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 iphones.
    i would recommend it as you then dont have to worry about anything on installer being to up to date, also, if you dont like it, you can just restore back to 1.1.1 and jailbreak/unlock as you did first time. easy.
    i would recommend backing up your Addressbook Directory.txt file as this is all of your contacts! (SSH into your phone)
    Theres plenty of guides on doing the update and with a good wifi con. should all be done within an hour. Its worth a peak just for the squiggly wiggly icons!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

philbee (2008-03-09)

thanks for the replies, im still in two minds, the only real concern i have is that the caller id works correctly but im guessing it should due to the international setting option becoming available in the general settings menu in the newer firmwares, with my 1.1.1 international settings wasnt availble until i used installer to activate it. Would ye recommend me removing all my apps before the upgrade? that is if i decided to go with 1.1.3 :-)

Yes do that remove the apps and most importantly do not restore the phone back in itunes do set it up as a new phone and sync your address book, sms and what else you want manually.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

philbee (2008-03-10)

thanks blade, will follow instructions to the T

I would recommend iPhone PC Suite for backup and restore, I do backup my sms daily and contacts whenever I add or delete one.