Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New or Refurb for Eventual Resale?

Default New or Refurb for Eventual Resale?
    My iPhone 2G recently took a swim in some water and I am looking to upgrade. I was going to wait until the "new iPhone" came out in the summer, but the situation has forced me to reconsider.

I am AT&T official and it is time for me to get a contract extension, so my question is: if my intent is to resell the 3G as soon as the new iPhone arrives, is the resale value significantly impacted if I buy a "Refurbished" vs a New 3G? and is it worth the $100 to go for the 16GB?

Thanks!

Really no difference between "new" and "refurb".......16gb - all depends on how much space you need. I HAVE to have a 16er, so its worth it to me.

And you need to remember, as soon as the new phone arrives, the value of the old ones will go down.

Right, there would definitely be no difference to me. I don't need 16GB but I was thinking the resale value may be over $100 more than an 8GB. The iPhones (at least w/o contract) seem to hold their value somewhat even when a new iPhone comes out. The appeal of getting an iPhone without the hassles and commitment of a contract is worth a lot to some people. I've seen 2G iphones still selling for $150+ when a refurb 3G (on contract) is the same price.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what size/condition will give me the most final profit when I resell it.

Well, a 16gigger 3g in white will give you the most resale value of any.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Martok (2009-04-17)

White, huh? I hadn't thought about the color mattering, thanks for the tip!

I'm guessing refurbished vs new doesn't matter too much as long as I keep it in good condition. I've heard that the quality between (official) refurb and new is often times indistinguishable.

You cant tell a refurb from new.

And yeah white is more popular and rare, since it only comes in 16gb. Unlike the black which is 8 or 16.

I always sell mine when the new one comes out.

Remember there are many countries that still cannot get the iphone 3g so they will still want it for a good price.

Understand you might not get 100% of you money back, but it helps suppliment the cost of the new one.

PS...i have sold two to people in other countries and they both sold for what I bought them.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I bought a 16gb black iPhone about a month ago. I got the 16gb becuse I figured when I resold it to get a new one it would go for more. Thats when I saw that the white one went for more. But I didn't like the white one. Thats why I got the black one.

^And of course it all depends on who is buying it....they may also like black better