Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Extremely High Offer on Ebay - Scam?

Default Extremely High Offer on Ebay - Scam?
    I'm selling my iPod Touch 16gb on Ebay for a starting price of $100. It is in almost new condition. I went to check how my auction was going this morning and found an email statng:

"I just viewed your listing and am willing to pay you $580.00 inclusive shipping charges and am shipping to my daughter in abroad(Africa),You may send me your PayPal registered email with PayPal so to send the payment today or first thing tomorrow morning and i want you to end the auction for me now."

I sent him my Paypal and have since heard nothing (It's only been a couple hours). Is shipping to Africa really this expensive or have I just truck the jackpot? Should I be watching for a scam?

Scam, I'm sure we will say something about western union or something.

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

yup definitely a scam, i had my hp dv9000 laptop on craigslist and i got almost the exact same offer. dont fall for it. if it sounds too good to be true, more often than not, it is. good job checking around first, most people dont and get burned.
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

DONT SELL ANYTHING TO AFRICA. Not too long ago 60 Minutes did an expose on things like this. You may get paid, but it will be with a stolen credit card and once this is found out, your money will be taken back, more than likely after you have sent the goods.

Stay away from dealing with African purchasers.

Thanks

I sold iPhones on ebay with buy it now, listed for the EU only.

I always got offers from people in Africa willing to pay allot morethan my listed price etc etc. Same story, but then they want western union or something.

The scary thing is that once someone bought an iphone from me with an EU ebay account, then paid with a paypal account. Everything seemed legit - except that the PayPal address was an African address.

I was skeptical with the whole situation even though i actually had the funds in my paypal account ready to put into my bank account. so left it a couple days when i got an e-mail from PayPal saying 'Fraudulent transfer' etc etc etc and they took the money away from my account. Basically, the guy had hacked an ebay account and hacked a paypal account and edited the account details.

Luckily, i didnt post the iPhone, but i actually had the money in my paypal account. Scary.

And some advice would be just not to sell to Africa. In fact, i would stick to the EU and USA only.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    SCAM....once got an offer to buy my psp for double the price

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

scam

Thanks

No way. Don't trust the Africans
    To live, you have to lie

Default you guys are so judgemental
    I think you guys are being very judgemental....it was only recently and completely out of the blue that i received an email from a lovely african man working for a firm of british lawyers who had not only found me but also informed me that i am the heir to a huge multi-million dollar estate...and all he wants is bank account details, home address, age, copy of pasport and he'll ship me the inheritence and he only wants 40%....he's told me not to contact him at his office or he'll deny knowing me which i think is fair enough...and to top it i had an email from a chinese man also claiming that i have been left half of hong kong...i think im really lucky....anyway im off to order that f50...

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robesaki View Post
    I think you guys are being very judgemental....it was only recently and completely out of the blue that i received an email from a lovely african man working for a firm of british lawyers who had not only found me but also informed me that i am the heir to a huge multi-million dollar estate...and all he wants is bank account details, home address, age, copy of pasport and he'll ship me the inheritence and he only wants 40%....he's told me not to contact him at his office or he'll deny knowing me which i think is fair enough...and to top it i had an email from a chinese man also claiming that i have been left half of hong kong...i think im really lucky....anyway im off to order that f50...
    Well that explains it all!
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Still heard nothing.

I'm going to get as much info from this guy as I can, and maybe wait around a couple days to see if I can figure anything else out from him. He has all good reviews on his eBay account. Probably just a hacker. I'll keep you guys informed of everything I hear from him.

Just received an email notifying me that he sent $700 to my Paypal account, but it won't pass until I send Paypal a tracking number. Looks very suspicious...

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: emailx.png

Is this email even legit? Read the bottom. I'm looking up this new "Policy" now...
    Last edited by LukeGab; 2009-04-14 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Your getting screwed bro......big time. Hope he cant do anything with the info you gave him.

And if you ship...I GUARANTEE as soon as the touch leaves your driveway, payment will be cancelled.

Those are always dead scam giveaways.

If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS. ANYTIME they offer way more and want you to ship way out...ITS A SCAM. I get them multiple times on every iphone auction I put up, always. I ignore them.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2009-04-14 at 01:15 AM.

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

As it's been said already, this is a HUGE SCAM! Stay far away from this jackass.

Trust me... I am very familiar with this type of scam, as many here are. These jokers prey on people all the time.

2 great examples:

I was selling DJ equipment. I got a TTY call (I posted my # on Craigslist, stupid I know) offering me $5000 over my asking price. I asked, "What does a deaf person want with my DJ equipment, in Africa??" The caller hung up.

The second example - my neighbor was selling their car on eBay. They received THE SAME OFFER you did, and SOLD THEIR CAR. Guess what? The funds did not clear and the car was already gone.

BE CAREFUL... some of these guys use PO BOXES near airports in order to appear legit. Stay clear. DO NOT FALL FOR IT.

Another example - I was in a UPS Store a few weeks ago... this couple was trying to ship their laptop to a someone they "Sold" it to on eBay.. in Nigeria. UPS Store will not ship any such items, due to the number of scams stemming from Nigeria.

Ask here forum.419eater.com :: Index
    if you dont believe anyone. It's 100000% a SCAM!
    DO NOT DO IT!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

Notice how that "paypal" email says
    Dear "email address" , if you get email from paypal it will say
    Dear " your name "
    Its a scam man ...

Quote Originally Posted by LukeGab View Post
    Still heard nothing.
    Why are you still thinking about this?
    Never ship anything to Africa. It is a scam.
    Why ask the question here if you are taking No notice
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Guys chill. I'm just having fun with this person. I will never ship my iPod out to this guy.

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LukeGab View Post
    Guys chill. I'm just having fun with this person. I will never ship my iPod out to this guy.

Ask for a shipping label and send Africa the finest dog **** in America.

iPhone? More like MyPhone njosnavelin's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha it's ridiculous what these guys will try. I was selling my motorbike on an online classifieds and got a similar offer.

Basically what is likely to happen is that this African man will send you too much money through PayPal 'by mistake'. He will then ask for the excess back, possibly using Western Union as 'it is much quicker my friend'. Chuffed with your funds in the PayPal account, you will ask no questions and refund the excess immediately. Only to find that the PayPal funds have been retracted, and you are now out of pocket!

I really have no problem with african-americans so i don't want to drop the N-bomb, but those Africans......
    When I said that I was 'king of forwards', you got to understand that I don't come up with this stuff. I just forward it along. You wouldn't arrest a guy who was just passing drugs from one guy to another?