Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there a way to find out from Apple if iPhone is permantly unlocked?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Is there a way to find out from Apple if iPhone is permantly unlocked?
    I have heard that some iPhones sold overseas are mandated to be sold as unlocked, or never locked by apple, due to laws in those countries, which means that if we get them here in the US, they will work with any sim card and will accept all software upgrades without relocking and having to go through the trouble to try and unlock them once again.

I just bought an iPhone from someone and he says it is a never lock phone. i said he paid over 600 for it and it shipped from someone in the US, but they could have got it originally overseas. He said he has done the updates and is at 2.2 now i believe and i dont have to worry about it locking when 3.0 comes out.

is there a way to call apple and give them a serial number and make sure its true before trying to update and end up having it lock on me and having to figure out how to unlock it again?

thanks.

yes you can, go with your model# to the apple webpage (they have all the models# with their respective countries where it was sold)

jose

Green Apple
    Thanks

I didnt see it on there, do you have a link to it? where would i find the model #? i thought 2g 8gb would all be the same, but the serial # would be different??