Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Washed out iPhone - options??

Question Washed out iPhone - options??
    Alright, here's the deal. I have an iPhone 3G that was dropped in water for a few seconds, and I took it apart, cleaned it out, and got it to work again. It connected to iTunes and charged the battery, but I was having issues with the screen giving a good image (it was pretty dim and was flickering). As I was working on it, one of the little wires in connector 1 broke off. I wasn't going to give up, so I found the wire and tried to solder it back on (pretty tiny for a solder job, but hey, might as well give it a shot). Once I got it on, i was shaping it and the damn thing popped off and I couldn't find it. So here are a few questions...

Here's my big question: my background in building circuits is basic, so does anyone know how possible it would be to use the screen in another system? For example, use it in my car as a screen for my old powerbook G4 that had a cracked screen? I took off the display after it broke so now it's nice and thin... It still recognizes DVI and S-video- could i use the screen and run "Boxee" off of that?? How tough would that be to set up? (Digitizer, screen, etc.)

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a pinout of connector 1? If I'm unable to get a wire attached, is there anything else I can do with it? I'm open to suggestions, but I'm really hoping to either get the phone function working again or use it in my car.

Finally, I'm sure this question is answered elsewhere but a quick google search failed to find anything: If a current AT&T customer puts his SIM card in a working iPhone, will it still be able to be used as a phone, or does it require activation with each SIM card?

Thanks!

- Brian

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

it should work fine with a valid att sim. White out the water sensors and take that bad boy to the apple store.