Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: no service quickpwnd could it be hardware failure?

Default no service quickpwnd could it be hardware failure?
    I just picked up a 4GIG 2G iphone today. It has a seriously cracked screen (impact at the top of the screen) and I got it 2.2.1 unlocked from craigslist. Works ok, but when I got home and put my (tmobile usa) sim in, no service errors.

I do get the carrier option in settings-general-network, and there's no error about my sim. It just doesn't seem to be able to get a gsm connection. When i go to carriers, it often says Automatic, ATT; sometimes ATT and TMOBILE, and more often than not 'Unable to load network list'

The blue bars do seem to vary, indicating different levels of signal strength.

I tried restoring via itunes, then running the latest quickpwn.

I tried turning airplane mode on and off several times, and resetting network settings and rebooting.

I tried another tmobile sim, same results.

I tried a friend's ATT sim. This had the same basic results, but I did get the ATT carrier icon, and it seemed like it came up 'searching...' a lot less. ATT icon, full bars, but when i tried making calls, recieving calls, sending texts, it always failed.

So... i'm wondering if this could be a hardware failure? I can't really trust the history I got from the craigslist dude, and by the looks of the screen it did take a hit. Everything else works on the phone (appstore, wifi, cydia, xcode dev), could it be a bad GSM module, antennae, or possibly a software issue i've overlooked?

Just another quick question- sorry this is in iphone general instead of a unlock specific forum, but the original question was more of a general 'what kind of things could go wrong with gsm connectivity other than the stuff i've already looked at'

Is the baseband affected by a full itunes restore? I'm wondering, because i was thinking one way to fully isolate the problem from my tmobile sim/quickpwn efforts, would be to do a itunes restore (it's an old 4G 2g) and then take it into att to get a month of prepaid for it. Then I'd have an ATT sim and legit activation. Thing is... i'd really rather not spend that money- especially if itunes restore doesn't remove the problem.
    Last edited by cptincog; 2009-04-07 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

tl dr

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    tl dr
    talk later, driving rustbucket?

telephony lost, device reset?

thanks for the bump, anyway

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

baseband wouldn't have been updated. sounds like a hardware issue

Try doing a full restore, no jailbreak. Put your friends AT&T sim in there and give it a go. If it doesnt work, then put that badboy back on craigs
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 2009-04-07 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for the tip- I picked it up for development, just hoped I could use it as a phone too. It's cheap enough that I can just get a G1 and have em both to play with.

Are there known hardware failures that can lead to this? I'm not sheepish about cracking it open to fix a loose connection or something.