Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: whats the deal with swapping an old iphone for the new one when it comes out

Default whats the deal with swapping an old iphone for the new one when it comes out
    im in australia

i have just saved up enough to buy a 3g prepaid iphone for $900
    (on a 2g atm)

but i hear theres a new one coming out in a few months (us summer)

if i buy the 3g now (and dont jailbreak/unlock it), will they swap it for the new one, as they previously have when the 3g first came out? or will i have to pay full price again?

cheers!, ill thank every reply

I doubt if they will do anything for prepay customers - once you've paid that's it.
    I'd be surprised if they do anything for contract customers here in the UK but it might be different in Oz.
    When the 3G came out the networks had a reason for wanting people to have it - it is much more efficient for people to use a 3G network than a 2G data network but there will be no such incentive for the networks this time.

I could, of course, be totally wrong as nothing has been announced yet.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Trooper (2009-04-06)

Thanks

The 3G was not swapped for the new one when the 3G came out.

The 2G was not subsidized - all they did was offer iPhone 2G contract holders the option to upgrade EARLY to the same 3G iPhone contracts everyone else had access to. These old 2G iPhone contract holders did not get the 3G free, only subsidized, the same as everyone else.

Which takes me to my next point - the 3G iPhone is susidized by the carrier (at least here in the UK and across the pond in the US of A), therefore upgrading from the 3G to the new model in the summer will be a completely different story to upgrading from the 2G to 3G (you would think)

Truth is, noone knows yet. But if you want the 3G bad enough just buy it, then if the new model does come (it probably will but isnt officially announced yet) then you can sell your 3G and get the newer model, or if the new revisios dont warrant upgrading then dont.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

Trooper (2009-04-06)

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Truth is, noone knows yet. But if you want the 3G bad enough just buy it, then if the new model does come (it probably will but isnt officially announced yet) then you can sell your 3G and get the newer model, or if the new revisios dont warrant upgrading then dont.
    True. That's the best choise IMHO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdys_1991 For This Useful Post:

Trooper (2009-04-06)

I bought mine of eBay - it's cheaper and another option.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Trooper (2009-04-06)

thanks guys
    thkd ur posts
    bought a 3g, probably will just keep using it for a few years even when a newer model comes out