Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What does Jailbreak do?... (read on)

Default What does Jailbreak do?... (read on)
    Ok, before I get a million posts telling me how much of a moron I am, I know what jailbreak is used for (installing third party apps, changing system files etc), but what exactly does it do to the phone? I have an iPhone 3g on 2.2.1 with at&t. The reason I am asking is because I have been using my phone locked and un-jailbroken for 2 weeks with great reception (signal). In my area, I rarely get under five bars and when I do, it's no less than four. Today I jailbroke it (not unlock) and immediately after reboot from quickpwn my signal dropped 2 bars down to three?? It's been jumping from 3-4 bars where I would normally get a solid 5! I was previously using an iPhone 2g and noticed the same thing, but I was on T-Mobile, so I didn't question it. So can anyone tell me what jailbreaking changes or does to the phone that may cause this, or am I just crazy.

Thanks

My signal was unaffected by jailbreaking. You might want to try it again.
    As far as your question, I don't have an answer. All I know is that it enables access to the root system on your phone.

It has nothing to do with your signal.

End of story.

Jailbreaking allows read/write on the internal firmware files within the phone's OS.

Did you get a new case?

Nothing changed with the phone. I had solid 5 bars before jailbreak and 3-4 immediately afterwords. I wouldn't think the jailbreak would have anything to do with signal, but I don't have a clue what happens during the jailbreak. Since it's now fresh, I may restore to new and try it again. Just to see what happens.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

i have a theory that the jailbreaking sometimes slightly corrupts some files due to apples protection. They might not beable to stop us jailbreaking but if they can make it go wrong when the phone detects it has been J'b then they're one step closer and slightly happier tht they're some of the customers anoyed cos they jailbroke and it hasn't worked to its full advantage.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks

Ive had some signal issues with jailbreaking in the past, mainly on the old 1.1.3 on the 2G and on 2.0.2 on the 3G where clearly the signal was degraded as a direct result of the jailbreak. However, ever since 2.1 I havent ahd any problems at all.
    Interestingly, it was also at that time I got my Macbook and started using Pwnage to make my own custom firmware instead of using Winpwn (ex) or Quickpwn on WIndows.