Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: question about switiching phones

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default question about switiching phones
    Here is my question, I am a tmobile customer I have an unlocked 2G, I recently purchased a 3G.

Only problem is the computer I used to update my 2G crashed and I lost all my iPhone info. So I am going to use my powerbook instead. How do I get the info that's on my 2G onto my laptop without syncing to itunes and replacing all my songs with whats on the laptop. Because I would like to transfer everything from the 2G to the 3G

any help would be greatly Appreciated.

thanks
    J

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hmmm. I know this works on an iPod, but not sure if it works for the iPod on the iPhone. Try iPod to Computer Transfer. Last time I used it, it was free to transfer each song/video individually, but $15 to transfer them all at once. If you have a lot of songs, you should definitely pay the $15. The first time I did it, it took me about 3 hours to transfer all my videos and songs. I didn't have the money at the time, so it was my only option. But I got a new computer, so I wanted to sync with mine instead of the main family computer. $15 is a reasonable price.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the help but I need everything from the phone to transfer, music, apps, phonebook whats the easiest way to do this, i'm using a Mac now not a PC

Thanks

I moved my entire iTunes Music folder from my Windows PC to my mac using my home network. You can also use a UDB drive. Copy teh iYunes Music Folder then import that folder to your iTunes library.

there is a program called Senuti that will copy from your phone back to your computer, it works like iTunes, only backwards. I'm not sure if it will take your phonebook, and apps though, but it's an easy way to get your music.

Is your original computer completely toast? Because if you are able to get any info from the hard drive on there, get the iTunes library ID, you can change the ID on your powerbook to be the same, that way it will recognize the phone and it wont erase anything, and that would be an easy way to get your apps and contacts onto your computer.

If your old computer is a Mac, I would recommend looking into Disk Warrior, 98% of the time it can restore a crashed drive, at least enough to get some data off of it.

Thanks

Ok. I am going to give you the way i would do it.

Applications: Re-download from the iTunes store on your Mac. Even if you paid for them before, they will be free to download again if signed in with the same account.

Music/Phonebook: Install OpenSSH from cydia + learn how to connect to your iPhone by SSH (Cyberduck for Mac). Its pretty simple.

Then navigate to: User/iTunes_Control/Music

The tracks will be in random 'F00' , 'F01' folders etc. etc with names like GHSF or YHAG.

If you copy the whole Music folder to your computer (desktop or something), then drag and drop it into your iTunes on your Powerbook, all of the names will reappear and you will have all your music back again.

Now, again using SSH, you can get to the phonebook, drag that off to your desktop, then SSH it back onto your iPhone after syncing it with your new Powerbook. I cannot for the life of me remember the location of the addressbook off the top of my head but if you dig around / google im sure you will find it easy enough. Then just SSH it back onto your iPhone after the sync to the same location, then sync the iPhone again and merge the data on the iPhone with data on the computer. I also suggest syncing contacts with Google/Yahoo to prevent having to manualy do the addressbook again.

There are apps out there to do your SMS + Phonebook etc etc. but they do exactly the same thing as you can via SSH.

Sorry i cant give you a walkthrough but im in a bit of a rush. This is the most simple way to do it and least time consuming, should be enough pointers/key words here to see you through aswell.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Oops, read your original post wrong. Thought your iPhone crashed. That'll teach me to read before the second cup of coffee. I'll add to jballa's advice, if you have a PC you can get a program like Norton Save and Restore. I'm normally not a fan of Norton products but Save and Restore saved all my archived photos and videos and other documents when my Hard drive wouldnt boot up. What it does is boot you into a very basic Windows explorer GUI where you can copy files to an external hard drive or other media. It also gives the ability to use what are essentially old DOS commands as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jballa9 View Post
    there is a program called Senuti that will copy from your phone back to your computer, .
    When did Senuti start supporting the iphone? Last time I used it they still did ipod only. Recent update?

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    When did Senuti start supporting the iphone? Last time I used it they still did ipod only. Recent update?
    I'm not really sure when they updated it to work with the iPhone, I haven't used Senufo since my iPod days, I just looked it up a couple weeks ago for a guy I work with who needed some songs taken off his phone. That's cool they have it now, they charge for it now too though, but I think it was only 20 bucks or so.