Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Erased all contents and settings on 3g MB046LL/A

Unhappy Erased all contents and settings on 3g MB046LL/A
    Bought 3g iPhone Model MB046LL/A ("Unlocked, Bluetooth Enabled, Calendar, Color Screen, Email Access, GPS, Internet Browser, Java Enabled, MMS Enabled, MP3 Player, Polyphonic Ringtones, SMS-Text Messaging, Speakerphone, Touch Screen, USB Interface, Video Recording iPhone 3G 8GB Cell Phone") on eBay.

Tried to erase previous owner's information and it wouldn't erase with the various reset settings, so, stupid me pressed "erase all contents and settings." But I didn't realize all the ramifications of that. (I'm new to iPhones).

Now (natch) there is no system, only an iTunes icon and emergency status.

What can I do? I hope I can find a mirror to reinstall everything just as I would if I reformatted a HD.

I don't know what program he used to jailbreak it (I use T-Mobile) but I recall it was updated to what I believe was the most recent firmware. 2.2?

What should my next steps be??

plug it into itunes shift restore to firmware 2.2 not 2.2.1 and restore as new iphone and then if that work uses the newest version of qwkpwn to jailbreak n unlock it ....
    i think thats all you have to do

Make sure you download FW 2.2 NOT 2.21
    Restore in iTunes by holding down Shift when you click restore and then select the 2.2 FW.
    Then use quickpwn 2.25 and jailbrake.
    Download YellowSn0w from Cydia and install.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Default iTunes won't let me -- tmobile!
    The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SI< cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Pleaseinsert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit . . . .

So now, Gaaaaaa! can you give me MORE advice??

Although this site is giving me problems (won't let me sign in or post, although it has my name as logged in) and I can only see my original post and no replies (whazzup with that--kept getting "token expired) I DID get a great response from Mobsta (thanks!) which stated:

>> plug it into itunes shift restore to firmware 2.2 not 2.2.1 and restore as new iphone and then if that work uses the newest version of qwkpwn to jailbreak n unlock it ....
    i think thats all you have to do << and that filled me with HOPE.

However, I used T-Mobile! I insert my T-Mobile card (iTunes requires a SIM card to be installed) and it won't read it.

Meantime, I'm up and running on an older iphone 2 (just for a coupla days)

Like I said - you need YellowSn0w to unlock.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

phineasboggs (2009-03-28)

Ah! I can see and read this now! I wonder what was wrong?

Anyway,THANKS confucious! I'll give YelowSnOw a try!

Okay, here is is a year and a half later. The above phone has basically been unused (occasional wifi) and I decided to try again to activate it since my car has bluetooth speakers! Out-of-the-loop, I plugged it in to iTunes, and it again said no go, wrong SIM / provider.

Now, I'm reviewing what to do and will try yellow snow as above recommended. Is there anything else I should do??

Things have moved on somewhat!
    Restore your phone to 4.01 in iTunes and set up as a new phone (you can synch all your music/apps back on later but copy your pics off first and you will lose settings but do not restore from a backup)
    Then JB with RedSn0w 0.95b5 from redsn0w 0.9.5 BETA [iPhone Dev Team] using the 4.0 (not 4.01) ipsw which you can download from Firmware - The iPhone Wiki
    Then in cydia on the phone add the Repo repo666.UltraSn0w.com and install UltraSn0w to unlock your phone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

phineasboggs (2010-07-25)

Ayee. A coupla problems, iTunes rejects it because it doesn't have an ATT SIM (my other one didn't have a problem being updated with TMobile). AND it has blocked me from any access except emergency calls -- so I can't do anything.

To make matters worse, the card holder broke in the slot. Hmmm.

Thanks

When you use redsn0w check the box that says hactivate to get you past the emergency call screen.

Quote Originally Posted by phineasboggs View Post
    Ayee. A coupla problems, iTunes rejects it because it doesn't have an ATT SIM (my other one didn't have a problem being updated with TMobile). AND it has blocked me from any access except emergency calls -- so I can't do anything.

To make matters worse, the card holder broke in the slot. Hmmm.
    RedSn0w will get you past that.

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    When you use redsn0w check the box that says hactivate to get you past the emergency call screen.
    There is no such check box. Hactivation is automatic.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

phineasboggs (2010-07-26)