Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone MMS O2 UK - UPDATE!!

Exclamation iPhone MMS UK - UPDATE!!
    Hi there all,

I have managed today to straighten up some things regarding MMS with O2-Uk.

I got all this info via several phone calls to different sections within the company and I hope it will be useful to some of you out there.

Firstly, MMS messages will be taken out of your original allowance (i.e. if you signed up to the 35 contract you had 500 messages), the MMS messages will be deduced from the allowance as 4 messages per message (so if you have a 35 contract you will get 125 MMS messages). If you have the unlimited text bolt on this WILL NOT give you additional MMS messages, you can only use your bolt on for standard SMS messages. O2 did not comment on if they would be providing a MMS bolt on of any kind, they also did not comment on how much additional MMS messages would be if you over run your allowed amount.
    From what I could work out during the phone calls; Pay and Go iPhone users will be charged out of their current balance, and I heard that I could be around 35p per MMS message sent (I have not had definite confirmation on this however).

I was also told that O2 will officially switch on MMS services for the iPhone within the next few weeks (I was told next week by the last guy I phoned). I have had reports from friends that MMS can be enabled by altering the carrier bundle.

I also asked the obvious, tethering, I received no comment on what was planned regarding this but I wasn’t expecting to hear anything on this front.

Just a reminder, this applies to O2 customers, within the UK only!

Hope this proved helpful to people wondering about MMS, please Thank as well.

Any questions please PM me

Wall-E Williams
    Last edited by wall-e williams; 2009-03-26 at 11:38 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wall-e williams For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (2009-03-26)

Thanks

Thanks for the info!

Thats alright

I have just been in contact with O2 customer services;
    • The guy said MMS could be enabled as early as next week
    • MMS will be around 35p per message for Pay and Go customers
    • Pay and Go customers can already send MMS messages (Apparently)

So it's looking good for us 3.0 beta users in the UK

Any news on the official US launch?
    Last edited by wall-e williams; 2009-03-27 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Some good info on pricing, however, you want to enable MMS for O2 in the UK?

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ow-enable.html

MMS definetly works, however, i am having trouble connecting my iPhone to pretty much anything over bluetooth, even my macbook, so cant try tethering over bluetooth and cant work it out over usb cable.

MMS works a treat though. I have the 35 a month iphone contract.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Lucky, both my iPhone and my friend's iPhone's are not sending yet

Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 871 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wall-e williams View Post
    Lucky, both my iPhone and my friend's iPhone's are not sending yet
    you need to change the .ipcc do a little search on google i'm running the beta on my iphone 3G i change it and i can send and receive MMS whith no problem! or wait to they start to upgrade the beta fixing the bugs...

Already done that, it does not fix every iPhone..

I will just wait till the official switch on

Thanks

the ipcc from the post i linked to should work without a problem.

Suck it up, Sucker

I'm afraid it doesn't, it has worked for 1 out of 8 of my friends.

Anyway I am going to wait until it is officially enabled

Thanks

weird, i have tried it with 4 different iphones and each one has worked without an issue.
    the ipcc file contains the correct settings for the o2 network. i dont see why it wouldn't work. all o2 could do is incorporate with 3.0/push out at the same time a carrier update with these settings?

go to

settings>messages

and make sure MMS Messaging is enabled.

Out of the 8, how many have a monthly iPhone contract, how many are PAYG and how many have another O2 plan? Because i have used this ipcc with 3 iphone 35 monthly plans + one simplicity tariff 25 a month (not iphone) and each one worked without issue.

Suck it up, Sucker

Let me just make this clear:
    1. Me and my friends are not new to the iPhone scene, we know what we are doing and how to do it
    2. I am describing the offical release of MMS for O2 users in the UK
    3. We are all well aware that you can install custom carrier bundles

Included some pictures just to show that O2 has not enabled it so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -wr.jpg   -wr1.jpg  
    Last edited by wall-e williams; 2009-03-28 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wall-e williams View Post
    Let me just make this clear:
    [LIST=1][*]Me and my friends are not new to the iPhone scene, we know what we are doing and how to do it
    And you are using Beta 3.0?

Hmmm
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Yes we are, on our test devices. Waiting for a decent beta to be released before it makes it to our main devices.

So many people just installed the beta on their only device that I forgot that there are some people doing it properly.
    Please accept my humble apologies.

MMS does have to be 'turned on' on the account as well as just have the correct settings.

@reeko - how many of the 4 that worked were on SIMs that had been used in other phones before the iPhone and were any on new SIMs bought with an iPhone without having a number ported to them?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Only the one - the simplicity tariff - which is what i was trying to establish with this guy before he climbed his pedestal.

MMS is turned ON by the looks of it on iPhone tariffs as default - which seems weird that the ipcc file, which is pretty much identical to the one O2 would release (i.e. IT CONTAINS THE CORRECT SETTINGS FOR THE O2 NETWORK), doesn't work for this guy.

For me and my other 2 friends using the 3.0 beta with their iPhone tariffs, MMS works. There is no case of O2 'switching it on'. It is on by default. This ipcc file just puts the relevant settings onto the iPhone to enable MMS - nothing more and nothing less than O2 would do, even if they did it 'officially'.

Suck it up, Sucker

Why are you getting so worked up?
    It hasn't worked for him - and by all counts it looks like he is no newbie, so why not try and find out why it doesn't work rather than saying 'it works for me so it must work for you.'
    Are you suggesting he has not installed your file properly? Or that he is lying?

Thanks

lol, worked up.

My previous post:

go to

settings>messages

and make sure MMS Messaging
    is enabled.

Out of the 8, how many have a monthly iPhone contract, how many are PAYG and how many have another O2 plan? Because i have used this ipcc with 3 iphone 35 monthly plans + one simplicity tariff 25 a month (not iphone) and each one worked without issue.

Clearly some questions trying to pin point exactly why it isn't working for him when i personally have had no issues.

Not one question was answered, instead i got a smart *** pedestal climbing answer.

Why you need to have even made your last post i don't know? If your going to post in a thread please read it all first.

He said in his first post that O2 needs to officially switch MMS on. I have tried this with 3 iPhone contracted iPhones and each worked with the ipcc file. O2 needed to switch nothing on - for me.

Suck it up, Sucker

Let me see if I can shed some light onto this situation.

I'm currently spinning 3.0 Beta 2 on my iPhone 3G (O2UK Contract).

I have installed the .ipcc file and I have all the necessary settings and graphics installed and ready.

HOWEVER... sending and receiving MMS still does NOT work. After several calls to O2, it seems as though they DO need to 'turn it on'.

"MMS services are not available for iPhone tariffs at this time".
    The guy at the end of the phone said I could transfer my iPhone tariff to a standard tariff, where MMS services could be included. I said no. Why? Because I'd lose Visual Voicemail, inclusive minutes and I'd need a Bolt On for Wi-Fi. Big headache.

So, my two cents on the situation? O2 are still figuring out the infrastructure for the billing side of the headache, so for now (unlike a few weeks ago when, apparently, MMS services were available for iPhone users in the UK) has been suspended till the official release of iPhone 3.0. i.e. Reps telling you "It's not available for iPhone" is a load of bull. They are just buying time, shoving people off until the deadline.

Which means this...

There is no case of O2 'switching it on'. It is on by default. This ipcc file just puts the relevant settings onto the iPhone to enable MMS - nothing more and nothing less than O2 would do, even if they did it 'officially'.
    ... is a load of rubbish, at least now anyway. The .ipcc file is STRICTLY for the iPhone UI, always has been, always will be. If they disable it from the service end, which THEY HAVE, the carrier bundle is nothing more than GUI tease of what is to come.

Anyway, one guy said to me, "Hang tight, MMS services are coming to the iPhone in June/July". So could this be the release date for iPhone 3.0!?

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Apothocary View Post
    So could this be the release date for iPhone 3.0!?

Peace.
    Errr, yes! but we all knew that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Errr, yes! but we all knew that anyway.
    Oh well; I didn't.