Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Warranty Info

Default iPhone 3G Warranty Info
    Hi
    I recently bought an Apple iPhone 3G from eBay. I bought it faulty, it says "No Service" in the top left hand corner.
    I thought that reflashing the firmware completly would fix this issue, but it hasn't. I try to downgrade and upgrade, no matter what Sim I use, it says "No Service".
    When I turn if off and back on, it comes up with "Waiting for activation | This may take some time". Basically nothing happens after that, even if i leave it connected to my computer through iTunes.

Basically after doing a lot of research and spending a lot of time into it, I finally gave up. But then, because I was curious, I decided to check if it still has the Warranty, and I was amazed to see that it INDEED DOES! The warranty is valid till January 2010.

So I wanted to ask, if I want to return it to Apple for a replacement, will it be possible to do so? I do not have the receipt or any proof of purchase, since i bought it second hand, off eBay. If yes, how could i request a replacement? Would I have to arrange an appointment with the Genius Bar?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out in this situation. Thank you very much!

you can return it and depending on where you live they could ask you for your sim card and see if you have a activated service with the iphone 3G on it, even tho it doesnt depend on a active line just tell them you bought it for full price from a store and never activated it or something like that which they believe, but most likey they wil make you activate it in the store to get the warranty exchange. if you have a friend with a iphone 3G have them take it in and c=get the exchange it works all they need is someone with a iphone account because of att, enles you are in another country.
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You will not need a receipt but you WILL need a valid SIM card with an iPhone plan on it or they will not be able to test the validity of your claim.

First of all, thank you both for replying. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by cjgonzales1900 View Post
    you can return it and depending on where you live they could ask you for your sim card and see if you have a activated service with the iphone 3G on it, even tho it doesnt depend on a active line just tell them you bought it for full price from a store and never activated it or something like that which they believe, but most likey they wil make you activate it in the store to get the warranty exchange. if you have a friend with a iphone 3G have them take it in and c=get the exchange it works all they need is someone with a iphone account because of att, enles you are in another country.
    Ok. So basically I live in the UK and the network it's locked on is O2. What exactly do you mean with "activated line"? Do you mean I will have to take an O2 sim card which is activated on my name? Will this sim here do the magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    You will not need a receipt but you WILL need a valid SIM card with an iPhone plan on it or they will not be able to test the validity of your claim.
    Phew. That's really nice to hear!
    So basically the sim you are refering to, is the one i liked to above, right? Could you please just confirm it to me please?

If I now fulfil the "requirements" i.e. have a valid sim card with an iPhone plan, how do i replace it? Do I have to go to the nearest Genuis Bar? It's about an hour's drive from here so I just want to make sure, before wasting my time. All i need to take with me is the phone, complete with box & accessories as well as with a valid SIM. Please could someone confirm this.

I really appreciate your help! Thank you very much guyz!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Make a genius bar appt online and bring your phone and vallid O2 SIM and you'll be good to go.

Thanks

I am from the UK.

If you have restored it, it will only activate with an O2 sim, just to clarify.

It doesn't need to be an iPhone line or anything like that, ANY O2 sim card will activate the iPhone.

If it isnt activating, like you say, when using an O2 sim card then arrange an appointment at your local Apple store - don't bother with an O2 or Carphone warehouse, they are useless. And no, you need no reciept of purchase - with Apple it doesn't matter who it is and no proof is necessary, every sale is logged in their system and anyone can take a product into them if it's under warranty and get it serviced/repaired - doesn't have to be the original buyer/legitimate owner.

The only worry is, the person you have bought it from on eBay may have opened the iPhone and screwed it up somehow? If so - your warranty is void (although they probably won't open the iPhone up in store, just give you a refurb there and then)

Has it ever worked for you? If it has, forget that last bit.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    I am from the UK.

If you have restored it, it will only activate with an O2 sim, just to clarify.

It doesn't need to be an iPhone line or anything like that, ANY O2 sim card will activate the iPhone.

If it isnt activating, like you say, when using an O2 sim card then arrange an appointment at your local Apple store - don't bother with an O2 or Carphone warehouse, they are useless. And no, you need no reciept of purchase - with Apple it doesn't matter who it is and no proof is necessary, every sale is logged in their system and anyone can take a product into them if it's under warranty and get it serviced/repaired - doesn't have to be the original buyer/legitimate owner.

The only worry is, the person you have bought it from on eBay may have opened the iPhone and screwed it up somehow? If so - your warranty is void (although they probably won't open the iPhone up in store, just give you a refurb there and then)

Has it ever worked for you? If it has, forget that last bit.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Well first of all, it not just the "ordinary" activation problem. I am able to use ANY sim inside the phone, and it lets me use the iPod feature and that, but I can NOT make/receive any calls, browse the internet and neither can i use wifi.
    Here is an image i found on the internet which is EXACTLY what i get:

When I insert an O2 sim, same thing happens. I connect to iTunes, nothing happens. I tried it and left it for about 15 minutes, without any luck.
    When I insert a non-O2 sim it does the same thing. It just comes and there is no way i can make any calls.

And no, the guy who had it before me did not tamper with it (at least that's what i can tell). The iPhone is way too good condition for that. No scratches on the screen, but a couple of small ones on the back. Overall, looks just like a brand new one. He really took great care of it.

So basically if i make an appointment online and go there with a working O2 sim card, and show them that it doesnt work with my iphone, they should exchange it for a working one, correct?
    Will I be able to add some money ontop and get the 16GB version instead? Has anyone done that before?

Oh and the most important thing, what excuse should i use? Should i just be honest and say that i bought it off ebay in this condition, or would it be better to make something up? But like what?

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate everyone's help here! Thank you so much people!

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

Took mine in on an 02 pay as you go and they swapped it straight over!!! beware though they may give you one with the most updated firmware meaning you cant jailbreak it for now, see if they will be nice enough to give you one with 0.2.28

No reciept needed though which is happy days and as reeko said should just swap it over.

Just book a genius appointment and away you go. Hope this helped

Thanks

You can open the 3G without leaving any mark whatsoever, easily. Im not accusing the guy, but if the iphones never worked for you i would be extremely suspicious of the ebay seller. Either way, i have had a few replacement 2g + 3g's and not once did they physically open the iphone in store, and every time i got a replacement there on the spot.

Just to check, your computer must have an active internet connection to activate the iPhone. You do have that right? Thats the only gap left for error.

If so, with everything you say i would arrange an appointment and get it swapped over. You wont have to say where you got it from or anything, just explain the problem - they won't ask anything else. All they are interested in is a date of sale on their system (to make sure the iPhones within warranty and was a legitimate sale) and an O2 sim card.

Just act real dumb and thankful that they are helping you.

Any baseband up to the 2.2.1, which is newer than the 0.2.28 one can be jailbroken, just not unlocked. ANY baseband can be jailbroken except the new 3.0 baseband, which can be jailbroken but te dev team are holding back on a public release of the software ... for now. But thats another thread altogether.

The firmware is a stock one downloaded directly from Apple aswell?
    Last edited by reeko; 2009-03-26 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

just take to apple

Just to check, your computer must have an active internet connection to activate the iPhone. You do have that right? Thats the only gap left for error.
    Yes, fully active internet connection whenever I turn on my PC.

If so, with everything you say i would arrange an appointment and get it swapped over. You wont have to say where you got it from or anything, just explain the problem - they won't ask anything else. All they are interested in is a date of sale on their system (to make sure the iPhones within warranty and was a legitimate sale) and an O2 sim card.
    So they should be able to see the date of sale from their systems by themselves, using the serial number, right?
    Just to confirm, it can be any O2 sim card, as long as it works (in another phone),yes? It doesnt have to be the special iPhone tarif o2 sim card?

Just act real dumb and thankful that they are helping you.
    Quote Originally Posted by lillstar12 View Post
    beware though they may give you one with the most updated firmware meaning you cant jailbreak it for now, see if they will be nice enough to give you one with 0.2.28
    Hmm, acting dumb and saying that, wont it make me suspisious that I know more than they think?

Anyway, I will book an appointment soon, and get it swaped, hopefully.

Oh and before I forget, will they like ask for my private details like house address and that? Because if they open it up later on (not in the shop) and it indeed was tampered, will they be able to contact me and give me the broken one and take the replaced one back ?

I really appreciate your help guyz! Thank you very much!

Thanks

Yes, ANY O2 sim card that work in any other phone is good.

Forget the baseband, it is not an issue for jailbreaking - only unlocking. Just play dumb and nice.

They will try and lik the iPhone with your apple account, if you have one - if not they will set one up.

I honestly have no idea about future repurcussions if they send it off for diagnostics and find its been tampered, i have never heard of it but i don't really know. I would be chasing the guy on ebay if it where me, the iphones only 2 months old and has a hardware failure - somethings up.

Suck it up, Sucker

Yes, ANY O2 sim card that work in any other phone is good.
    Nice. That shouldnt be a problem for me then

Forget the baseband, it is not an issue for jailbreaking - only unlocking. Just play dumb and nice.
    Yes, I know the baseband is the main part which make the iPhone different to the iPod, hence it's used to make/receive calls and that. I wouldnt mind unlocking it as well, but i guess i could live with it. Would only need to change to O2 and give out my number to my contacts. I'll just leave it to luck to, i dont mind whatever i get

I would be chasing the guy on ebay if it where me, the iphones only 2 months old and has a hardware failure - somethings up.
    Hmm... yeah.. true..
    I'll try to find out. I just bought it like a week ago or so, so he should reply back.

Thanks for your help everyone!