Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lost/Found 3G

Default Lost/Found 3G
    Hey all...

A question of good morals I guess.

I found a password protected iPhone 3G this weekend. Honestly, I'd love to keep it but its useless to me if I cant get into it.

If I take it to an ATT store, might they be able to find the owner? My fear is that some young sap at the store is gonna say "No prob, we'll take of it" then pocket it for himself.

If I do find the owner, would you charge a reward? In other words, "Dont be so careless with such an expensive device?"

I have a first gen and wudnt mind the upgrade but as of right now, its just a paper weight.

Any help wud be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

can you take the sim out and call att? dunno if att would even help?

You could take it to an AT&T store and ask them if they can find the owner using the sim card. Maybe you can use their sim card reader in the store to get a number off it that says for example "Wife", "MoM", "Dad" ect. Then call one of those numbers and tell them about the phone. Don't leave it with an AT&T employee, just because you are nice enough to try and find the owner doesn't make it theirs. I wouldn't charge for doing what normal people should do already leave it up to the phone owner to give you a reward if they can, maybe they are broke with no job like most of America.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I would recommend against bringing it in into a store as well. Everytime I return sometime to lost and found, I always wonder if they actually gave it back to a the person who lost the item or pocketed it themselves. I generally wouldn't give people the benefit of the doubt.

I would put it into DFU mode, and then restore it. Then find the Serial, take the serial to AT&T or Apple, and see if they could call the owner its registered to. You could even activate it with the same sim, and see if there are any numbers or addresses that might help. Otherwise, if all fails. Enjoy your new iphone!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Take the sim card to AT&T and see if you can find the owner. If you can't put it in DFU mode and restore. That will wipe out the password. Good Luck

Can't you just take it to the police? That's what I'd do here in England. They should be able to trace the owner and most people would give a reward for a returned phone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Can't you just take it to the police? That's what I'd do here in England. They should be able to trace the owner and most people would give a reward for a returned phone.
    agree

If you do go into the store and ask them......just tell em your gonna hold onto the phone and if they find the owner, to call you.

Meet the owner, which you can verify cause he'll know the password and everything else on the phone

Thanks

Noooooooo, dnt hand it in, I know a guy who used to work on trains and he used to keep all the lost and found. Try some of the methods here and if they fail which im sure is unlikely, keep the phone! And least its better than some crook in lost and found.

I did that but it wiped out all of the phones content. Kinda defeated the purpose. Wudda been nice to find a contact in the phone and call, but... oh well.

try to download the contacts from the sim.

The 3G does not store contacts on the SIM - I've never had any on mine.
    But if you can make a call with it you could find out the phone number and can't you track the owner from that in the USA?

Or better still, just take to the police.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Sounds like you have done everything in your power. Now put your old one on ebay!

Thanks

If he transferred that sim from an old phone, it may well have contacts on it.

Try transferring over, if none are there, you have yourself a new 3G
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Why don't you just call AT&T and ask for their help. They could look up the account information (usually with another phone number for the owner) to call. And the phone would still be in your hands, so you don't have to worry about it being stolen.

No one has explained why he/she can't/shouldn't just take it to the police!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Piazza331 View Post
    Why don't you just call AT&T and ask for their help. They could look up the account information (usually with another phone number for the owner) to call. And the phone would still be in your hands, so you don't have to worry about it being stolen.
    seems like the sure way, with the phone number im sure ATT at least has a billing address.
    make it a great day!

Far more unique is the IMEI - just dial *#06#
    In Europe when a phone is reported stolen/lost the IMEI is blocked and tthe phone cannot be used within Europe. I'm surprised that America doesn't have anything similar.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Far more unique is the IMEI - just dial *#06#
    In Europe when a phone is reported stolen/lost the IMEI is blocked and tthe phone cannot be used within Europe. I'm surprised that America doesn't have anything similar.
    NO that does not work here in the US....If you really want to give it back hit me up I know someone that might be willing to help you...

I found a bb pearl a few months ago.I really wanted to keep it but I thought about how MUCH it would suck if I lost my phone and someone kept it,So i called the number "mom" and got in touch with the owner. Now she was very rude not even a thanks,but I still felt good doing the right thing..(bad)Karma SUCKS..and I try really hard to do the right thing most of the time but thats just me.I know most people are selfish self-seeking.and well I cant afford to be that way anylonger..

but that just my .02...
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast