Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone ebay question

Default iPhone ebay question
    So with the new iPhone coming out in june, I want to try selling my 16gig black 3G iPhone on ebay. But the only thing is, I have never sold anything on ebay and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to do so. Thanks!

Unlock it. Thats about it. Make sure you unlock it because that broadens your selling market by a ton. Also, clean it, have all of the parts included, and just give them fore warning that if they restore to the new firmware, they will lose the unlock period. If you dont mention that in BIG letters, someone will do it and try to blame it on you...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ajl917 For This Useful Post:

dangerousandre (2009-03-24)

All good advice.

I would add that if you look at ended auctions and see which ones have sold for most you can basically copy those, by checking closed auctions you can see what works - and what doesn't!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone kjack05's Avatar
    Thanks

My advice is to be very careful, I personally will never sell on ebay again, it says you have seller protection, but I found out the hard way the you really dont have any. I sold one on there two weeks ago unlocked. The guy updated and then disputed me saying that it wasnt unlocked. I didnt even get a cahcne to say anything in the dispute and it was sided in his favor. To make matters worse I received the phone back and it is all jacked up.
    If I helped you dont be afraid to click thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kjack05 For This Useful Post:

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

Restore , jailbreak , unlock. Install few mods from cydia and take picture of them. Like 5 icon dock , mozilla , xgps , video recorder , ibluetooth.Im sure those will pull in more bids and more money.
    AND BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU DEAL WITH.Dont get scammed.
    Make sure they are paypal verified and dont ship outside US.

Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BarcaMagic For This Useful Post:

dangerousandre (2009-03-25)

I'm running 2.2.1 firmware right now, do i need to restore to 2.2 to unlock?

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousandre View Post
    If you're on 2.21 you can't unlock - at least not without a 'piggyback' SIM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

You probably have baseband 2.30.03 in that case you wont be able to soft unlock it..which depreciates your phones value. Anyways some tips to sell on ebay... ship only to USA, Canada, and UK (only paypal users in those countries can get a confirmed paypal account. Shipping to other countries just creates headaches with people doing claims and chargebacks. Make sure you only ship to the confirmed address on the paypal account. I have already relisted my iphone 3 times due to unpaying bidders and scammers that wanted me to ship to the Philipines when clearly their paypal address states that they are in the USA. Good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 13001r For This Useful Post:

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

In your phone click Settings--->General--->About and then scroll down to the bottom and look at your Modem Firmware. If it says 2.30.03 then you cannot unlock. If it is below that like mine is 2.28.00 then you can unlock it very easily.

Like people said before me...accept paypals that have verified U.S./Canadian addresses and be sure to list that you will only ship to those verified addresses.

And last but not least DON'T FORGET TO WIPE YOUR DATA BEFORE SHIPPING!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

As others have said, make sure you state clearly that you will only ship to USA/Canada (you could add the UK but it's probably more hassle for you).
    The only phone I sold on eBay had a Buy it Now price of 250 and was bit up to 530 by someone who wanted me to ship to Nigeria - they even threatened me as 'PayPal had the money but won't release it until you provide proof of shipping'! Yeah, right.
    I relisted and sold to a genuine buyer for 175.
    So long as you are careful, you should be OK.
    If you wait until after the new phone is out it won't be long before FW3.0 can be unlocked...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

ok one more question and I think that will wrap it all up. Do I just restore my phone to wipe out all the data? If not, how would I go about doing so. Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, restore and set up as a new phone and it will be as good as new

21. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Thanks

forget the iPhone for a second, when you sell/post anything on ebay, especially an expensive iphone (AND even more when using PayPal):

Make sure:

>Payment has fully cleared in your bank account before posting - even if the buyer has to wait an extra day or so, take no risks. If the money is in your PayPal or Google Checkout account, it doesn't mean you are guaranteed that money.

>IMPORTANT - post via a recorded, tracked, SIGNED FOR delivery service. If the parcel is not signed for upon delivery then you have NO seller protection whatsoever.

PayPal technically states that the parcel must be signed by the winning ebay buyer themselves, so if say their brother/wife or something signs for it, then they dispute it, they will get their money back and you have no way of getting your iPhone back - PayPal is a crooked business that needs to be shut down.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker