Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Officially Unlocked or not???

iPhone? More like MyPhone Miro89's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Officially Unlocked or not???
    hi evry1, i have been wondering is there a way to find out if ur iphone is officially unlocked or not??

i am asking because when i bought my iphone, the guy told me NOT to upgrade because i am not officially unlocked from apple and didnt give me a warranty cuz it wasnt officially unlocked.. n e way 2 weeks ago i downloaded firmware 2.2 and shift+restore to it and as soon as it was done restoring, it told me unlocking and activating and told me on itunes, iphone successfully unlocked?

does that mean it is officially unlocked from apple??

i am also asking cuz i have FW 3.0 on my laptop and wanted to try it so if it is officially unlocked from apple i am going to try it and enjoy the nice features

and how do i register my iphone as a developer handset as i have read that somewhere to be able to use 3.0 problem free or else it will get stuck on the emergency screen and i wont be able to downgrade

wat do u guys think? should i upgrade to 3.0 or not, is it very buggy and has a lot of porblem?
    Last edited by Miro89; 2009-03-23 at 04:57 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

unless you are a deleloper or on ones list, do not put 3.0 on your phone you'll be screwed.

Thanks

yh i know but how do i register my iphone as a developer handset to avoid problems?

Green Apple
    Thanks

become a develpoer with apple. it will cost you a hundred bucks

Thanks

ok nvm i found a dev that added me on his list but plz i need an answer to the rest of my questions

Thanks

i use a legitimate carrier, and all my iphone says after restoring is 'iPhone Activated'.

If this is what your iPhone says, and you are NOT using the legitimate carrier for your region then i guess it must be unlocked.

If you are using a sim card from the correct carrier in your region then the iphone will activate itself. If you are using any other carriers sim cards then the iPhone would not activate and you would be stuck at the activate screen.

The answer to your other question is: 3.0 feels LESS beta than the fully released versions of everything from 2.0 up to 2.2 felt. 3.0 is definetly usable for day to day use.

However - the lack of an openly available jailbreak + the fact that the baseband gets updated makes it, in my eyes, not worth upgrading - unless you have an IMEI unlocked iPhone or are happy with the legitimate contract scenario.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

ok thx 4 the answer and mine doesnt get stuck at all at activate it says activating.....unlocking and on itunes it says ipheon successfully unlocked. but i am asking because i didnt buy it from where i live now i bought it from dubai and the guy told me not to upgrade cuz it is NOT officially unlocked??0.O

nevertheless, i upgraded and it is unlocked so is it or not or is that just luck and the iphone got fooled?

Thanks

if you upgraded to 2.2.1 or 3.0 directly (not custom firmwrare) and the iPhone is still unlocked then you have got yourself an IMEI officially unlocked handset

you my friend are not eating yellowsn0w
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker