Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WTF I dont want to restore again!

Default WTF I dont want to restore again!
    SO this is the second time in a week that my phone, jailbroken 3G 2.2, has stopped lodaing up. Both times it happened right after I pressed the lock button, I got the spinning wheel, tried home+power restart many, many times, would get the logo then after awhile, get the spinning wheel and then itd stop.

I can still get into it through SSH, is there something that I could mod somehow, or delete or something, that would maybe fix it or prevent me from having to restore again? I JUST got it back to the way I wanted it, all looking nice and stuff, and then it does this

Ive had this thing jailbroken and working perfect since december. What could it be? I didnt even put winterboard on it the second time. Im thinking it just has to be the springboard, b/c I can still sync with iTunes and access it through SSH, and when I plug it in it makes the plugged in chime.
    Last edited by gotem3303; 2009-03-22 at 02:00 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Miro89's Avatar
    Thanks

did u download anything that u noticed the problem after

no it just all of a sudden happened. Last time I hadnt downloaded anything for like 2 days, this time it was working perfectly fine all last night, then when my alarm went off this morning, I dismissed it then pressed the sleep button and it dint shut off, then it eventually got the wheel, tried the reset and here I am. So both times it just happened for no reason

Thanks

so what happens when it turns back on?

if you can ssh and dont want to restore, i would go through and delete the last downloaded things from Cydia 1 by 1 until you find the culprit.

what have you downloaded from cydia?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

I havent really downloaded that much from cydia. I have categories, which I was thinking about, and like cycorder and stuff like that. I cant remember everything but like I said, I havent dl anything for like 2 days, and then this morning all of a sudden the springboard crashes and never starts up again.

What happens is Ill hold the power+home button to restart, then it just stays at the apple logo, and eventually gets the spinning wheel right below/ontop of the logo, then eventually the wheel stops spinning altogether.

I remember the first time it happened, I let the battery run out, hoping that something would cause it to start up again, charged it a little, and let it start up, and it got to the home screen, but then wouldnt allow you to do anything, wouldnt respond to touch or anything, but I got SBsettings to come down once if I just kept swiping when it was loading, but it would freeze right after that too. So it worked for like .5 seconds but then froze. This time its not doing that, but I havent let the battery run out since it just happened this morning.

Ive tried searching google and saw things like messing which the watchdog and deleting some files in var/tmp and stuff, but Im at work right now so I wont be able to try those things till later. Anyone tried those things before?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Miro89's Avatar
    Thanks

how about putting it into dfu mode and restore

dfu mode wont start the system of the phone so when u restore it should be fine

try and tell me ur results

Thanks

He doesnt want to restore though. . .

Suck it up, Sucker

Ya i would REALLLLLY want to prevent a restore, I def don't want to start over again, and seeing that syncing takes like a hour with my music and stuff that would suck big time

Thanks

there is an option when using pwnage tool to partition wipe, which COMPLETELY erases the jailbroken partition.

i dont know if you have restored to already constructed custom firmwares before, if so then try building a new one and include the partition wipe (its left off by default)

Suck it up, Sucker

this started happening to me once unfortunately i had to set my iphone as a new phone in itunes and that deleted all my saved app data