Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3.0 O2 UK MMS + Tethering - How to enable

Quote Originally Posted by ceg1805 View Post
    Hi all. Not sure if this thread is still active but I hope so. I am running a fully legit version of 3.0 beta 4 on a standard UK o2 iphone 3g. I have downloaded the file in the first post on this website which downloads to my mac as 'O2_UK.bundle', and for the life of me I can't work out what to do with it.

Have tried simply using it as is in iTunes but it doesn't work. I have converted the whole folder to the extension .ipcc and doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated??

Chris
    right click (or two finger click) payload folder and click compress. right click compress file and click get info. change name near bottom of panel to O2_UK.ipcc. It will ask you if you want to use the ipcc extension, click yes. done! You have StealthBravo to thank for those words of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Windows: hold shift + click update in itunes and then choose the file.

Mac: hold alt + click update in itunes then choose the file.

On beta 4 i have lost all MMS capabilities + the Messaging tab in settings now has no MMS options at all - guess O2 have made Apple remove it until the public release
    I still see the MMS tab and by-the-by i am tethering right now on o2 in the UK, no SDK installed on my iMac G5, updated .ipcc file from StealthBravo thread, just pop my iphone in the dock and it connects in seconds. Oh and yes, i got o2 to enable mine a while ago after over 15 calls.

Thanks for the reply. Weirdly it still doesn't work. Have done the bit of compressing the file and then changing the compressed file to an .ipcc extension, but then when I go to iTunes and option click the update button and select the file, it brings up a message saying 'updating carrier settings' and then comes up almost immediately with an error message saying:

"The iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occured (0xE8000051)"

any help? Thanks again

Ok sorry I have managed to work it out now. I didn't realise that the .bundle file literally had to be compressed into a folder called 'Payload'. I have now got it working. Thanks all!!
    Last edited by ceg1805; 2009-05-01 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

MMS is now working for me, randomly. It did the same with beta 3, updated the carrier settings and then took a while to show up.

Still cant get tethering to work (although havent tried since beta 1) and my bluetooth is screwed somehow, cant connect the iphone to my macbook or my ford audio van bluetooth soundy thingy.

hopefully they iron it out.

UPDATE

Tethering now works. I have not spoken to O2 at all but both MMS and Tethering work with this .ipcc file.
    Last edited by reeko; 2009-05-02 at 12:39 AM.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Just updated with the ipcc!

Tethering works awesome over USB

MMS however doesn't work at all! when i tried to send my first MMS it asked for my mobile number which i entered.... (but i assume this isn't anything to do with the settings for sending)

Im running legitimate 3.0 beta 4 on an O2 Contract 3G.... Anyone know why I cant send MMS?

Thanks

Wow just tried to tether and it also works over USB now - how simple is it to use aswell?!

I am also running a leigitmate iphone 3G contract on O2 but my MMS is enabled by default. By what ive read, not everyone is and you have to get O2 to activate your MMS by speaking to them

Suck it up, Sucker

On O2 MMS are taken at 4 text messages out of your text allowance so you won't pay extra for them (provided you have plenty in your allowance) but tethering is prohibited, as is VOIP and streaming.
    See
    Data Bolt On Terms

1. The Web Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telef?nica O2 UK Limited‘s Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
    * in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    * to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
    * in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.
    If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Web Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

BUT, O2 can still suck my ****

Only thing that is weird is that some O2 iPhone contract holders have MMS enabled and some don't? Seems odd.

Suck it up, Sucker

8. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (2009-07-06)

Yer i just called and spoke to someone and she told me it wasn't possible for me to get MMS enabled They must have been told to stop enabling it for people

I told em i use my SIM in an N95 at weekends..... btw

BUT, O2 can still suck my ****
    I Know the iPhone is good, but....

Just pointing out the T&C, If you chose to ignore them and get your service cut off or a massive bill it's your choice.

Only thing that is weird is that some O2 iPhone contract holders have MMS enabled and some don't? Seems odd.
    Could it be where people have ported in old numbers which have never had MMS enabled they don't have it but new accounts or where it was already enabled do?

Quote Originally Posted by dannybres View Post
    Yer i just called and spoke to someone and she told me it wasn't possible for me to get MMS enabled They must have been told to stop enabling it for people

I told em i use my SIM in an N95 at weekends..... btw
    I wonder why they won't enable it? Surely it makes no difference to them. If they are worried about supporting it they could just say they don't support Beta software but to not enable it seems strange. You would have thought they would rather have more beta testers!
    Last edited by confucious; 2009-05-02 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

The suits are ironing out the plans officially for the public release of 3.0, probably trying to decide how they can make extra from each of us for tethering +/or MMS.

I think PDAnet will be a better option than the iPhone tethering when its released publicly because O2 will want x each month to enable tethering.

Mobile providers are thieves with the prices they all charge for their services.

Viva la skype

Suck it up, Sucker

I don't think they do at all. The problem is most of them are still trying to figure out how to charge.
    T-Mobile have very sensible prices.
    7.50 gets you 3G only with no tethering, streaming or VOIP and 1Gb limit
    12.50 gets HSDPA, tethering, streaming and a 3Gb limit but no VOIP
    and 25 gets you the full caboodle.
    I would imagine FW3.0 tethering will be pretty easy to enable but if you use it (or PDANet) don't be surprised if they charge you. Occasional use is unlikely to be found out but prolonged use probably will be.

As for MMS, O2 already have a charging structure, 1 MMS= 4 texts - why should it be any different for the iPhone?

Thanks

Man you should change your sig to 'the thread destroyer' or something like that. Most pedantic guy ive met on here.

How to charge? You pay an extra X per month at it gets enabled for you. If you dont pay the X every month, you cant use it.

And the reason the iPhone may be different is because it is the iPhone and the tariffs have never been in line with any other phone tariff of similar price.

If you were right and everything was set in stone then MMS + tethering would be enabled already. It isn't.

Suck it up, Sucker

This thread is amazing.

Cheers Reeko, I'm on Beta 4 and all official and stuff and everything is working fine! Tethering is a breeze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12