Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I got charged with internet usage ;-(...NEED HELP!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy I got charged with internet usage ;-(...NEED HELP!!!
    Hi guys,

Lately I got charged for using the internet by Rogers since I upgraded my iPhone with the newest version. I don't know how did it happen to me. The bill was almost a thousand something and they said they were not going do anything to adjust that amount for the reason that my phone was non-rogers phone. It hurts!

Is there anyone know the reason why? I had no problem when I used the 1.1.4 version before. But now...

With the 2.2.1, I find it very convenient when I have push email (It will alert everytime I have a new mail even though I don't have wifi at the moment), I also have updated weather everytime I turn my phone on...and many other interested things.

I don't know what to stop being charged. Can someone help me out with this issue?
    Last edited by MimiHo; 2009-03-18 at 08:16 PM.

Push Email and the Weather update use data whenever you are not connected to wifi. Turn off Edge/3G from SBSettings
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

MimiHo (2009-03-19)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I use 2G, so what do I do?
    I don't think just only push mail and weather, cuz everyday I got charged with different amount. Some days were $5 or $9, and some days were $160 or $185. If just only using that, I would be the same amount I got charged or may be a bit different I think.

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

Like neonightmare said get SBsettings and turn off edge and 3g .Beg and cry for them to reduce it.Thats about all you can do.
    And PLEASE get lowest data plan to avoid this.For this amount you could have had data plan for a year or more.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

as they said, to not get charged, you need to stop all data connection when you are not on a wifi network.

beg, cry, play dumb, whatever you have to do to try to get your carrier to drop the cost.

Good luck
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I called and talked to them, but they said they could not do anything with the phone that was not from Rogers. After talking for a while, a laday named Amy gave me an adjustment for $100 off. That was the max that an employee could adjust one account. So sad, I don't know what to do...

I use 2G and WinterBoard. I couln't find Edge on my phone. Where is it?
    Now I just turned off my Push Mail function and also Weather update. I'm afraid of the voice "You have got a mail" everytime I use my phone which I liked pretty much before even though when I was sleeping.... hix

Im thinking to downgrade to 1.1.4. It's safe and doesn't give me any trouble. If I wasn't in the issue with my mail, I would have not upgraded it. My mail function didn't work. It was just a black green everytime I clicked on Mail...

Is there anything more I can do to prevent this problem?
    Just wanna throw my phone away since I have had this problem. I hate it now ;-(

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

cant you get a unlimited data plan??

You use a phone that is designed to be on an unlimited data plan and are surprised you get charged?
    You then don't listen when people tell you to turn off data with SBSettings?
    Sell your iPhone.
    Now.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    You use a phone that is designed to be on an unlimited data plan and are surprised you get charged?
    You then don't listen when people tell you to turn off data with SBSettings?
    Sell your iPhone.
    Now.
    Listen to confucious. I can't believe you turned on push notifications without a data plan. You dug your own grave

I really do have to ask this question. If you knew you weren't connected to wifi and were getting new mail notifications, where did you think the data was coming from?
    Last edited by LastSonOfKrypton; 2009-03-19 at 01:36 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One thing I wanna say is most of the time I used my phone where were wifi available such as at home, school, work or even though at my friends house. I barely used mail option when I was on the road. I have noticed that I got charged for the day that I was home n didnt go anywhere. So the Push function just only uses Rogers internet not my wifi at home??? If it only happens with the Push or Weather update, how come my bill was $5 on some days and $190 on some days. Therefore, I doubt that iPhone with new version uses the carrier internet only.

Should I downgrade to 1.1.4 to be sure that I don't get charged for eveytime I use the internet?

Now I'm afraid of using the iPhone internet even at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MimiHo View Post
    One thing I wanna say is most of the time I used my phone where were wifi available such as at home, school, work or even though at my friends house. I barely used mail option when I was on the road. I have noticed that I got charged for the day that I was home n didnt go anywhere. So the Push function just only uses Rogers internet not my wifi at home??? If it only happens with the Push or Weather update, how come my bill was $5 on some days and $190 on some days. Therefore, I doubt that iPhone with new version uses the carrier internet only.

Should I downgrade to 1.1.4 to be sure that I don't get charged for eveytime I use the internet?

Now I'm afraid of using the iPhone internet even at home.
    All you really need to do is download SBSettings from Cydia and you can turn off Edge from there. From then on, if you try to access the internet whenever you aren't on Wifi, it will not let you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

MimiHo (2009-03-19)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    All you really need to do is download SBSettings from Cydia and you can turn off Edge from there. From then on, if you try to access the internet whenever you aren't on Wifi, it will not let you.
    Other people have already suggested that - he has ignored any attempts to help and obviously just enjoys whining.

Sell your iPhone and use the money to pay your bill.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Other people have already suggested that - he has ignored any attempts to help and obviously just enjoys whining.

Sell your iPhone and use the money to pay your bill.
    Nah, he sent me PMs and I helped walk him through the process of it. He should be fine now, he was just worried about being charged extra fees on his plan.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

MimiHo (2009-03-19)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    Nah, he sent me PMs and I helped walk him through the process of it. He should be fine now, he was just worried about being charged extra fees on his plan.
    Glad you could help him.

I still think he should sell it to pay his bills though

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks all for ur help.
    BTW I'm a girl, not a boy ;-)

Thanks all for ur help.
    Girls aren't into technology, stop lying!

Jk , sorry about saying "he" all the time

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sell your iPhone and use the money to pay your bill.[/QUOTE]

Don't be so hard on people. Not everybody knows detail about iPhone for example me. Im a girl, so I don't spend a lots time on figure out how the phone works... Then when u guys said to do this and that, I didn't know where to go to...

Too bad, my phone is old, I don't think anybody would want it.

NeoNightmareX walked me throught the problem. Thanks again.

I'm not lying, the picture is me...
    Last edited by MimiHo; 2009-03-19 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That will teach me for assuming things! Many apologies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Thanks all for ur help.
    That explains the ID,...... NAW Seriously That sucks much that you got charged, but have ya daddy call them and get all violent with them,.......... they'll listen better to a pissed off dude sometimes. I didn't write the rules.