Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about using iPhone sim card in another iPhone

Default Question about using iPhone sim card in another iPhone
    Hey All,

I did try to search, but apparently the parameters I used suck... Here is what the question is.

I currently have a 3G iPhone. My wife is now wanting one as well. What I am planning on doing is waiting until the new Iphone is possibly released in the summer and buying that. What I would like to do is give her my old one, and I would have the new one... To achieve this, is the only thing I need to do is switch the sim card from my iPhone to hers? Would that move over my phone number and voicemail, etc?

Will this cause any problems if I do this?

Is there another process for doing what I want to do?

I am with Rogers in Canada if that makes any different. Thanks everyone

Thanks

Why dont you just put her sim into your old iPhone. WHen one of my son's and I upgraded from 2G to 3G phones, my husband and another son got the old 2G's. We just popped their sim into the old iphone. In the case of my son, we got a legit iphone plan. ALl we had to do was put his sim n and let iTunes activate it. In the case of my husband who doesnt use the data, I unlocked the phone and we skipped iTunes activation that way. Im not sure how they will work things when the new one comes out but im sure there will be a provision for handing down an old iphone.

Thanks for the response bhz1... We will both have legit plans through Rogers. She currently just has pay as you go through Telus, and will need to port her number over to Rogers when she gets my iPhone, that's why I figure I will have to do it at a Rogers store...

I was just curious that after she has the iPhone activated, if it will be as simple as swapping the sim cards between phones in which my phone number will transfer over to the new iPhone, and her phone number will transfer over to the old iPhone (Of course this will only make a difference if they release a new iPhone this year...)

Thanks

The way it worked at ATT whe I got my new 3G was that when I picked up the 3G they activated it at the ATT store with my existing phone number. i dont recall if they just swapped the sim or gave me a new one, but its the same number. I kept my 2G and broght it home essentially working as an iPod touch. After restoring my old phone to clear all my old stuff out, I took my son's sim out of his razr and placed it into my old iPhone. I plugged it into iTunes where it automatically detected it as needing activation and it prompted me to set up an iPhone plan for it.

In you wif'e case she is on a different carrier currently. I'd either check Rogers website
    or call them. I looked at their website and they have a lot of info regarding porting a number over but only info on the 3G iphones.

Okay cool.. I know her number is portable, and I know when I had my number ported over, they had to do it in store... So what it looks like I will have to do, get her phone from the Rogers store, and get her number ported over and activated on the new iPhone in store...

Then it should be as simple as swapping the sim cards so that her sim card is in my old phone, and my sim card is in the new phone. Right?