Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G warranty?

Default iPhone 3G warranty?
    Like many of you, i like to alternate between a blackberry bold and iphone 3g. My question is, will apple honor my warranty if i go into the store even though i have the bb data plan? As many of you know, ATT doesnt allow you to have both plans, and its the logical decision to have the BB plan instead of the iphone plan (cause bb data will work with the iphone, while if you put your sim card in the bold with a iphone plan, nothing will work). Im on ATT. If anyone could help me out, that would be great! thanks guys!
    IpodLover77 @ Hofo

apple's warranty has nothing to do with your AT&T plan or contract. your good to go

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

ipodlover77 (2009-03-16)

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    apple's warranty has nothing to do with your AT&T plan or contract. your good to go
    thanks for the quick reply man! hofo wasnt showing me any love hahah

so even if i dont have the iphone plan, i'll be good? I mean, if it doesnt matter than why wont apple honor the warranty on unlocked and jailbroken iphones? Im not fighting your words! just trying to be sure so i dont go in there demanding warranty than looking like a ****** haha.
    IpodLover77 @ Hofo

because unlocking and jailbreaking voids the warranty, just restore to a stock firmware and head into your local Apple store. You'll have an AT&T sim card in it. So no worries there, even tho you don't need that either
    Oh and be nice, getting ugly with them wont help

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

ipodlover77 (2009-03-16)

because unlocking and jailbreaking voids the warranty, just restore to a stock firmware and head into your local Apple store. You'll have an AT&T sim card in it. So no worries there, even tho you don't need that either
    Oh and be nice, getting ugly with them wont help
    YES! any tips before i go in?
    i thought they checked on they're comps if you had the plan or not. Cause i remember, when i first got the iphone 3g and went to get it warrantied they said something like "oh, i dont see you in the computer" or something like that.
    IpodLover77 @ Hofo

maybe they did, But I know for a fact that moderator cprj takes iPhones that he buys here and there to Apple for replacement and warranty work. With no sim card or plans with AT&T at all.
    Maybe send him a pm. but I'm sure he'll be on later tonight and he'll see this thread. He could give you more info on the process.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

ipodlover77 (2009-03-16)

maybe they did, But I know for a fact that moderator cprj takes iPhones that he buys here and there to Apple for replacement and warranty work. With no sim card or plans with AT&T at all.
    Maybe send him a pm. but I'm sure he'll be on later tonight and he'll see this thread. He could give you nore info on the process.
    you are the man! hahaha. thanks again dude!
    maybe cprj will provide some incite too!
    IpodLover77 @ Hofo

I sent cprj a pm with a link to this thread.
    cheers buddy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

ipodlover77 (2009-03-16)

you just got four thanks in this thread!
    now if theres only a "you welcome" button. hahah
    IpodLover77 @ Hofo

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ipodlover77 For This Useful Post:

Broomhead (2009-03-16)

how about your first thanks as a your welcome

Broomhead is correct.

Per Apple's own warranty agreement, warranty is NOT dependent on activation. You can take them an iphone without a simcard in it at all and they still have to warranty it, you may have to push that point....remind them its in their warranty agreement, but they have to.

To ease the process I always tell em I had to take the simcard out and place it in my "old ATT" phone to use (Which conveniently got left in the car). All they will do is tell you the new phone wont be activated until you place the ATT simcard in it and connect to itunes. Which for us doesnt matter anyways.

Just make sure its not jailbroken....that will absolutely void everything.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2009-03-16 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Broomhead is correct.

Per Apple's own warranty agreement, warranty is NOT dependent on activation. You can take them an iphone without a simcard in it at all and they still have to warranty it, you may have to push that point....remind them its in their warranty agreement, but they have to.

To ease the process I always tell em I had to take the simcard out and place it in my "old ATT" phone to use (Which conveniently got left in the car). All they will do is tell you the new phone wont be activated until you place the ATT simcard in it and connect to itunes. Which for us doesnt matter anyways.

Just make sure its not jailbroken....that will absolutely void everything.
    hmm, so they wont ask me any info regarding if i have the valid plan or not? they wont tell me to go back to the car and get the sim card? hahha, just gotta make sure. Thanks for the answer!

how about your first thanks as a your welcome
    i think 1 thanks for 4 is even. hahahahah. Thanks again dude! for both things lol.
    Last edited by ipodlover77; 2009-03-16 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    IpodLover77 @ Hofo

hmm, so they wont ask me any info regarding if i have the valid plan or not? they wont tell me to go back to the car and get the sim card? hahha, just gotta make sure. Thanks for the answer!
    nope, no worries
    i think 1 thanks for 4 is even. hahahahah.
    cheers

wondering if the phone has to be activated? My previous 2G iphone was activated by the previous owner and I got an replacement, but now my replacement is having problems. I have never activated the replacement, but I have documents from Apple that this phone is a replacement.

Any tips?

^As I stated just a couple posts up. Warranty is NOT dependent on activation.

Default Just go!
    Yeah... I went in the apple store with a prepaid sim card on my iphone and they still replaced it! Just dont let them see that your phone is jailbroken or unlocked, your ok! As long as youre on the At&T side!