Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying an Iphone 3g

Default Buying an Iphone 3g
    I've heard a ton of rumors going around about how one cannot get an Iphone from a Mac, AT&T, or Cingular store for 18 months if they have previously purchased one or have upgraded from the 2g one. I ALSO heard from an AT&T rep reply to this saying that this was a fluke and that he's never heard of it (click here to see the response).

I'm currently a TMO user but my girlfriend is with AT&T and recently upgraded to the new 3g iphone. If she wants to get me one (so that I can unlock it and use it), how would it be possible?
    I REALLY REALLY hope this 18 month thing isn't true...

Thanks for hearing me out!

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that it's not true as they're not going to deny selling you one for $4-500. I think that was just one customers experience.

Your girlfriend can probably just say she lost hers and that'll work...
    Respect your elders.

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it's not true as they're not going to deny selling you one for $4-500. I think that was just one customers experience.

Your girlfriend can probably just say she lost hers and that'll work...
    I mean, is it possible for my girlfriend to buy it for $199.99?

Thanks

No, to get another for $199, you have to either sign a new contract or bring one in that's broken and pay them to swap it out for you...
    Respect your elders.

No, to get another for $199, you have to either sign a new contract or bring one in that's broken and pay them to swap it out for you...
    Are you sure? I'm not trying to doubt you or anything, but I heard you can get a replacement one for $199.99 and not give them the old one. I heard it was possible.

Thanks

I'm not too familiar with swapping out 3G's, but wouldn't every person then go and say "Oh, I lost my phone, I need another one for $200" then turn it for $400?

I think they'll probably disable the old one if they do give you that price.
    Respect your elders.

I'm not too familiar with swapping out 3G's, but wouldn't every person then go and say "Oh, I lost my phone, I need another one for $200" then turn it for $400?

I think they'll probably disable the old one if they do give you that price.
    Okay, well what about this:

My girlfriend has 11 people on her account. Her brother has a blackberry. If she said that she wanted to upgrade her brothers account to an Iphone, would that work?

Yes, but then it would change his contract, and he'd have to add a 30 dollar a month iPhone data plan to his contract.