Results 1 to 10 of 10

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Quicky 3G ?

  1. #1
    Default Quicky 3G ?
    Does the Griffin GRIFFIN FIREWIRE CHARGE CONVERTER 3031-FWUSB transfer data along with charging?

    I have a harness in my truck and would rather just use the griffin adapter than swap out to another $120 harness.

    I'm just curious as to if it is only a charger?

    Specifically just music.

    thx

    Come guys, this should be an easy answer.

    I don't want to buy a $25 adapter if all it will do is charge.

    It's basically the same thing as the Scosche PASSport in a better package.

    Come on guys.This should be an easy one.

    I don't want to buy a $25 adapter if all it will do is charge.I need it to play through.

    The Griffin and the Scosche passport
    Last edited by shore; 2009-03-11 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone stereosympathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts

    My guess... And this is just a guess, is that it will transfer data along with charging. I use the Ridax adapter with my Alpine deck to play music and charge my phone in the car. And I would think that any adapter that just charged without passing data through as well would be pretty worthless.

    Gives thanks...Do you?

  3. #3
    Retired Moderator bhz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 361 Times in 271 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stereosympathy View Post
    My guess... And this is just a guess, is that it will transfer data along with charging. I use the Ridax adapter with my Alpine deck to play music and charge my phone in the car. And I would think that any adapter that just charged without passing data through as well would be pretty worthless.
    Which Alpine unit do you have? I currently have an older Alpine with a Sirius tuner connected but no iPod capability unless I disconnect the Sirius or purchase a splitter. I was planning on swapping out the head unit with another Alpine so that I dont have to lose the Sirius to gain the iPod. I found a great deal on oneof last year's models technically not iphone friendly, but was thinking aobut getting it anyway and using some kind of adapter like the Scosche or similar to get it to work.

  4. #4
    Well dang, hijacked by a mod.

    ANYWAYS,I'm fairly certain the Ridax/Griffin/Scosche adapters are all the same.They all say charging adapters also.

    I have a harness for my truck playing through the factory NAV and one in my boat playing through an Alpine H/U along with a sirius(S50) hard-wired in the same harness.I certainly do not want to buy two more of these just to charge the iphone.

    FTR, I dropped the Sirius.They blow now.
    Stupid Apple marketing.

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Are you asking if the connector will transfer music to your head unit?

    I am using the Griffin iTrip Autopilot and it charges the phone, shows the artist and track name etc through RDS on my headunit, and does it with a wireless FM frequency transmittal.

  6. #6
    I'm asking if this particular charger adapter will transfer music along with charging.

    The description implies that it is an adapter for charging using the older style chargers....doesn't mention anywhere that is also transfers data like all the rest of the cables.

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone stereosympathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Which Alpine unit do you have? I currently have an older Alpine with a Sirius tuner connected but no iPod capability unless I disconnect the Sirius or purchase a splitter. I was planning on swapping out the head unit with another Alpine so that I dont have to lose the Sirius to gain the iPod. I found a great deal on oneof last year's models technically not iphone friendly, but was thinking aobut getting it anyway and using some kind of adapter like the Scosche or similar to get it to work.
    I've got an alpine CDA 9884. Really decent head. The interface is pretty slick for the iPhone. Any head that works with the KCA-420i works quite well with the iPhone (aside from not charging the 3g model)

    Quote Originally Posted by shore View Post
    I'm asking if this particular charger adapter will transfer music along with charging.

    The description implies that it is an adapter for charging using the older style chargers....doesn't mention anywhere that is also transfers data like all the rest of the cables.
    Well like I said, any charger adapter that didn't transfer the data along with it would be pretty worthless. I know the Ridax adapter transfers data, and I would assume that they all do basically the same thing. Since the 3g was configured differently for charging the only thing these adapters are doing is supplying the phone with power in the correct place.
    Last edited by stereosympathy; 2009-03-11 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

    Gives thanks...Do you?

  8. #8
    I agree.I ordered it today and will report when it gets here.

    Well I finally got an e-mail back from the seller and he says it is just a charger.Naturally I have already ordered it.

    I still think he is wrong.It is a dock-firewire converter by brand name and docks transfer data along with carge capability.

    I'm going to e-mail Griffin to be sure.

    Well I just called Griffin tech and the guy says it should transfer data like normal.Just the charge circuit was moded to drop to 5v.
    The only ones they had issue with are the pioneer H/U's.Mine is for an Escalade NAV Ipod harness.
    Last edited by shore; 2009-03-12 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #9
    Retired Moderator bhz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 361 Times in 271 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stereosympathy View Post
    I've got an alpine CDA 9884. Really decent head. The interface is pretty slick for the iPhone. Any head that works with the KCA-420i works quite well with the iPhone (aside from not charging the 3g model)

    Well like I said, any charger adapter that didn't transfer the data along with it would be pretty worthless. I know the Ridax adapter transfers data, and I would assume that they all do basically the same thing. Since the 3g was configured differently for charging the only thing these adapters are doing is supplying the phone with power in the correct place.
    Well I ended up pre-ordering the CDA-105 from Crutchfield for $199. I had been considering an ida-x300 which I found online for $129. It had thr advantage that it was all red display that would match my car's illumination, but it did have radio preset buttons. One of my sons had teh ida-x100 in his car with a similar interface and for ipod use its great, but if you ever want to channel surf on either Sirius or broadcast radio its not that friendly. you have to hit a button then spin the knob to select the preset then enter, for each channel. While i want to use my iphone, I also listen to Sirius and do channel change a great deal. The new CDA-105 has preset buttons. It also supposely allows use of the iPhone's standard white USB cable as the connection which I interpret as being able to charge the 3G as well. Charging the phone is important as I drive an '88 M5 and it only has one socket so if I have my radar detector or GPS plugged in I cant simultaneously charge my phone and use an aux cable for audio. Ive tried plug splitters but they dangle all around the shifter. Down side are the darn blue buttons (which I have on my current CDA-9827) on the HU but at least the other illumination is red so thats ok. Can't have everything.

  10. #10
    iPhone? More like MyPhone stereosympathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts

    I had looked at the IDA X300 but decided since I don't have a CD changer that I wanted the option of playing cd's (even though I haven't used it yet, lol) and I don't have satellite radio yet so I haven't experienced how you navigate through stations on the head.

    Gives thanks...Do you?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •