Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use iPhone as GPS receiver

Default Use iPhone as GPS receiver
    Hiya peeps, I have just Jailbroken my iPhone and I am wondering if it is possible to use my iPhone as a GPS receiver.

If so what do I need to do it?
    If not, what do I need to do to be able to do it?
    Or, is it possible to stream the GPS coordinates from the iPhone to a PC via either WiFi or USB? USB would be preferred however.

I would really need to do this in the background if possible too.

Thanks
    Ash

Thanks

You can install software on your iPhone 3G and use it as a GPS navigation device, but not the other way around.

The App Store has a program called G-Maps ($19.99) that is very good, but does not provide voice prompts for turn by turn directions. It's an Apple limitation.

The Cydia Installer (Store) has an program called xGPS (free) that provides GPS turn by turn navigation, spoken instructions and uses Google Maps. You can use xGPS in two modes, real time or download Google Maps from your PC to your iPhone for offline (no internet). I highly recommend this program.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually you can because I've used it with my iPad. Jailbreak your iPhone and get the MyWi app. Run the MyWi app and set up your iPhone as a network hotspot. Connect your iPad (or whatever device) to the hotspot via wi-fi. Then run your GPS app... I just used used the map app on the iPad and it showed my location and it was able to do real time location so you can follow your route that you searched for on maps. I haven't tried with any other GPS like TomTom.