Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: edge amd 3g help

Default edge amd 3g help
    Hi I just wanted to know about these two. Ive heard of people
    saying they disable both 3g and edge to increase the battery. But what I want to know is
    what do both of these do? Only time i use internet for iphone
    or downloading is when im home and @ school which both have
    wifi. So when you disable 3G and Edge what exactly happens?
    Like you can't use internet unless ur on wifi?
    And can someone simply explain what they both do possibly?
    I thought 3g was for calls, that do not drop as much
    and have clearer reception.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

3g and edge are data plans (used for internet connectivity) that are bundled with your service plan. The reason why turning them off saves battery is because your phone isn't constantly searching for a signal. Naturally, when you turn those off and lack access to wifi, you have no internet capabilities.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

iPhone? More like MyPhone stereosympathy's Avatar
    Thanks

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDGE]Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G]3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

These should help explain both. You can still make calls with both edge and 3g disabled.

I'm not sure how much battery time you need, but I use my phone frequently, run weather widgets, fully themed and have several push email accounts that are active and my phone still makes it through the day.

Gives thanks...Do you?

So if I was to disable edge, and not 3g I could still use the internet in areas with 3g and vice versa?

Thanks

^^^While that is true, unfortunately 3g is not a highly developed technology yet (in most countries). If your in an inner city, 3g has been known to be deflected away from devices simply by bouncing off of sky scraper windows. Which is why the iPhone 3g still has the edge feature, to pick up the slack when 3g is not available.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmasta View Post
    unfortunately 3g is not a highly developed technology yet (in most countries).
    I don't know where you live but it is in Europe! By 'most countries' I assume you mean third world countries such as the USA?

As to the OP - what on earth are you doung with an iPhone 3G if you're not using it?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

LOL, touché. I forget that America isn't what it used to be. People are still pretty gung-ho about it here. But land mass is deffinitely a factor when it comes to developing a reliable data network.

Land mass (and population spread) are definitely a factor. So also are competing standards.
    Here in the UK we have many mobile phone companies who all use the same standards - and those standards are used by all the phone companies in Europe. I think the competing standards and lack of competition in the USA have definitely held you back in this area.

I'm glad you didn't take my 'third world' jibe seriously - it always amazes me when anyone takes me seriously
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.